Status: Up and Running.

Rat Race

F.U.N. Spells Fun

Scarlett walked out of the bathroom drying her hair to hear her mom yelling.

God, what is she going on about now? she thought.

Then she realized that her mom was yelling out her name. Scarlett was surprised; her mom rarely had her name in her mouth.

Scar-lett!” her mom yelled.

What?

“Some poor schmuck’s on the phone for you!”

Scarlett hastily ran down the stairs to the kitchen before her mom could embarrass her any further.

“Here,” her mom said thrusting the corded phone towards Scarlett, “Don’t be long.”

Scarlett rolled her eyes after her mom walked out of the kitchen. Like she would remember what Scarlett was doing after ten minutes. She lifted the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

“You should really get a cell phone.”

She recognized that voice. The New Yorker. She felt something flutter in her stomach, and she refused to even think about what that meant.

“I have no reason to,” Scarlett said, “How did you get my number?”

“Very easily,” he said vaguely. And then he sighed, “I just wanted to say that I’m sorry for pushing you the other day. It was none of my business, and I shouldn’t have taken you to the bridge.”

Scarlett frowned. She knew what he was thinking, and for some reason, she wanted to explain. “I was never going to—”

“You don’t have to say anything. It was none of my business.”

“But—”

“Look, do you wanna go out to eat with me or somethin’?” he asked quickly.

Scarlett sighed. This boy was frustrating. “Why would I do that?”

“Because it would be fun.

Just then, Scarlett heard her mom’s irritating voice again.

Jason why don’t you ever take me out?” she wailed.

And then her sister’s voice.

Mommy, I’m hungry!

And then Kelsey started crying.

Scarlett could have really used some fun at that moment. “Sure,” she said, “Where do you want to meet?”

“I’ll come pick you up.”