Twist of Fate

Just Needed Some Fresh Air

Chapter 2

Alex’s POV

Summer is almost over, which sucks, but at least we only have one more year of hell to go. We’re finally seniors now. I never actually thought I would make it this far. Every year, someone would throw an end-of-the-summer party and this year it was some football player. According to people, he throws the best parties, which I completely disagree on because I throw the best parties. Nevertheless, I am still going to check it out with my boys Jack, Zack, and Rian. There’s just no way I’m going to miss a party, regardless of who’s going and who’s hosting. It’s just too bad that my girlfriend, Keeley can’t go. Well, she isn’t exactly the partying type of girl. She would rather stay at home.
The guys and I piled into my black Mustang. It’s my baby, my most prized possession, besides Keeley of course. I know people think I’m a player and all but I am capable of actually having feelings for a girl. Before Keeley, there’s a different girl in my bed almost every night. She’s different though. She’s not just a one-night stand. I actually want our relationship to work.
Zack, being the quarterback and the captain of the football team, is friends with the guy throwing the party. This got us an access to liquor cabinet that he has in his basement. In the party, they only have beer kegs, Alchemist punch, spirited punch, and Red Stag Lemonade. Who knows what other ingredients are in there except for what’s supposed to be in it. In the liquor cabinet he has all the good shit. He’s got the good beer, absinthe, gin, tequila, whiskey, brandy, sake, and even wine. Well, it’s not like anyone’s actually going to even take a second glance at the expensive wine bottles he has.
“Let’s get drunk!” Jack screamed as we entered the packed living room. Several people cheered, raising their red solo cups in the air.
After weaving through the crowd, we finally reached the door that leads to the basement. As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I was greeted by a view of a couple making out, practically having sex. They stopped upon notice us.
The guy pulled away from his girlfriend, I assume, and gave Zack a man hug. “What’s up man?”
Zack introduced us to him and talked for a while. There were other people in there besides us. Some looked familiar but no one I actually talk to. There were a bunch of jocks and cheerleaders.
The guys have fallen into a conversation that I’m not interested in. So I told them I needed some air. I grabbed two bottles of beer from the cabinet before leaving.
More people were at the party. I had some light conversations with a couple of people I know. I’ve already finished both of my beers and it was getting stuffy. More people were on the dance floor, as more people got drunk. I’ve only been here for a couple of minutes and I’m already getting bored. Girls flirted with me here and there but I simply ignored them.
Deciding that I actually did need some fresh air, I headed for the back yard. There were only very few people there. Some were passed out on one of the lounge chairs or just simply talking. I’m actually surprised no one’s in the swimming pool. I guess this was where those who aren’t feeling up to dancing are hanging out.
Everyone were in pairs, I’m guessing couples, except for this one girl sitting alone pulling at her skirt. She looked annoyed yet peaceful at the same time. My legs walked to her direction without my permission. It was like they had a mind of their own. As I took the empty spot next to her she stared at my jean covered legs then starts tugging at her skirt more.
I tried to get her attention by clearing my throat a couple of times but failed. “So, what are you doing out here?” I heard myself croak. My voice was deeper than normal, which usually means I’m nervous. It doesn’t make sense though. I, Alexander William Gaskarth, never get nervous, especially not around a girl. Even if this girl is ignoring me. That was definitely a first. She seemed more interested in the damn stars than me.
I continued staring at her, half hoping for an answer and half hoping that she continues to ignore me. The dim starlight and moonlight casted shadows on her face that makes her look like a goddess. Stars reflected on her eyes making it look like they were twinkling. To my disappointment/relief, she just shrugged and continued looking up, almost as if she was waiting for something to fall from the sky.
A light, but chilly breeze made her shiver slightly. Being the gentleman that I am (not), I slid my hoodie off my shoulders and draped it across hers. Finally, she looked at me. My breath hitched in my throat. She was even more beautiful this way.
Gaining a little of my composure back, I smiled and simply stated, “It looked like you were cold.”
She snuggled into it and flashed me a small smile. “Thanks,” I heard her say in a barely-louder-than-a-whisper voice.
Her voice was so soft, like velvet, and her smile is of an angel’s. Her hazel-green tint orbs wandered across my face. She was scrutinizing me. She searched my eyes for a flaw that would give away my intentions—not that I had any at the moment. I couldn’t even get a single coherent thought right now. Her gaze fell to my lips then I lost it. I kissed her. I felt her tense up. During those seconds when she didn’t move, thoughts of Keeley flashed in my mind. I felt guilty. I just cheated on her. She’s deserves better than that. Just as I was about to pull away, mystery girl started kissing me back. All the hesitation and guilt faded into the background. I was in lost in oblivion. Nothing but the two us existed in those moments. She put her arms around my neck and tangled her slender fingers in my hair. Then she pulled away almost immediately, to my dismay.
She looked startled and was blushing like a mad woman. I turned around to see what she was looking at and found Zack standing. The guilt came hurtling back to me. It came so fast that it felt like a punch in the face.
I stood up from the chair and started saying goodbye when I realized I didn’t even know her name. All this time, she was Mystery Girl. “Serenity,” she verbalized. It suits her. There was just something so calm, so tranquil, and so serene about her. I expected her to be panicking right now but she held her ground. Her voice didn’t even waver one bit while my nerves are jumping. With one last smile, I walked away. This time, I had to force my legs to move. I wanted to stay but I know I couldn’t.
“What the fuck was that?” Zack bellowed as we entered the house full of partygoers. He shoved a beer to my chest. “You have a girlfriend!”
I lied through my teeth, “I was just caught up in the moment.”
“You’re a retard. Why the hell were you out there with a random bitch anyway?”
Bitch? For some unknown reason, him calling Serenity that made my blood boil. He doesn’t even know her (neither do I but that’s a completely different story) therefore he has no right to judge. “I was getting some fresh air.”
He laughed sarcastically, “Oh so she was just giving you CPR because you couldn’t breath? That makes so much sense.”
“Look, Zack, can we just forget what happened and not tell Keeley about it?” I sounded almost desperate as I said that. “She kissed me so on instinct I kissed back. I didn’t mean to, I swear.” Again, I lied. For one, I know that I won’t be forgetting about that kiss anytime soon. And I kissed her and not the other way around, but Zack doesn’t need to know that.
He seemed to deliberate on what I said then finally looked me straight in the eye. “Okay, fine. Keeley is one of my best friends and I don’t want to see her hurt. I’m not doing this because I feel bad for you or because it’s the right thing. I’m only doing this for her. Don’t make me regret doing this.”
Great. Let’s just hope no else saw us or I’m screwed. I can’t wait ‘till Monday. Note the sarcasm.