Status: completed

Fall Out Girl

Growing Up

He shuffled on his feet, apparently uncomfortable that I knew his name and that I just opened the door like I had lived here my entire life- which, in a sense, was true. He squinted his eyes to get a better look at me. “Uh, yea. Who are you and what are you doing in my grandmother’s house?”

“Emmy; and I always come over here.” I replied, letting him in and closing the door behind him.

He swiveled on his heel. “You’re Emmy?”

“Well, yea, what did you expect me to look like?”

He shrugged his shoulders and shoved his hands further into his pockets. “I dunno. I thought you were supposed to be some bleach-blonde slut with a fake tan, $50 nail job, and unnaturally white teeth that just hung around my grandma to scam money off of her. At least I was partially right. Oh, and call me Pete.”

“Well, that’s just lovely, and this hair is all natural. Go have a seat in the living room, Grams should be down shortly.” I said, waving him off and going into the kitchen. I grabbed a pair of pot holders and opened the oven. The smell of homemade chocolate chip cookies spilled over me and flooded through the house. Smiling, I grabbed the cookie sheet and placed it on the stove top.

“That smells good.” Pete said from behind me. I must’ve jumped at least three feet in the air.

“Never do that again,” I gasped with a hand over my heart. He just laughed at me and stole a cookie. He yelped right after that because it burnt his mouth.

“That’s what you get.” I said smugly to him. Grams came in shortly after and giggled at him as he tried to shove three pieces of ice into his mouth.

“Peter, that’s not going to help you one bit! Now suck it up and be a man-” she was interrupted by the phone.

“Well, we both know that it’s for me.” I said, sneaking out of the kitchen. “Hello?”

“Amelia Caterina, your escort just called and demanded that I get your ass back to your place so that you can get ready.”

“Joseph Mark, what are you babbling about, why didn’t Pat call me, why didn’t Parker text me like I asked, and what is that in the background?”

I could hear him give an exaggerated huff over the other line. “Parker called here,” he said slowly, “and wanted to know why you weren’t over here- I told him and he started demanding stuff. Patty-kins didn’t call you because he’s out to get more food-”

“You ate all the food! That was supposed to last until my mom got home!”

“Chill, AC, you know that we’re pigs incapable of stopping ourselves from gorging on food…but where was I? Oh yea! Parker said that he text and called you a bazillion times, but you never answered-”

“That’s preposterous! I have my cell right here and it says,” I unclipped my cell from my belt loop and looked at the blank screen, “that it’s dead. Well, we figured out that mystery. Now, what’s that in the background?”

“The Lost Boys, we watched Star Wars up until the Death Star exploded,” he replied off-handedly. “Oh, and Pat just got back with the fuel…ooohhhh! And the hair dye! It’s gonna look frickin awesome! Get over here now so that we can get you all pretty! Wait- is that chocolate chip cookies I smell? Bring the dough, I know there’s some.” He hung up without saying goodbye.

I shook my head and went into the living room, where Grams and Pete. “That was Joe-Troh, apparently they ate all of the food in the house. You can probably count on three idiots over for dinner.”

“So, you’re leaving?” she asked.

“Yea, I’m sorry, we’ll either watch “All My Children” or “Oprah” tomorrow, I promise. Do you mind if I take the rest of the cookie dough? I can hear their stomachs growling from here and Joe-Troh has smell-o-phone.” I added with a laugh.

“That’s fine. You take care now, you hear? And you know that my door’s always open.”

“Yea, we know,” I replied with a smile before grabbing the cookie dough and a cookie from the living room. “Bye, Grams! Nice meeting you, Pete!” I called before going out the door.
I walked across the street to my house with the bowl under one arm, my purse on the other, and a cookie in my mouth and nudged the door open. As soon as I walked inside, I was tackled by four guys. Chris was the first one to snatch the bowl; he ran away as soon as he grabbed it. Joe and Pat followed him, throwing punches, kicking, and even biting the poor boy just so they could get a handful. The fourth guy, to my utter surprise, stayed behind and tackled me in a strong hug. Mousy brown hair was stuffed into my face as he lifted me and spun me in several small circles. He grabbed the cookie out of my mouth as soon as he let go of me and stuffed it into his own mouth.

“William! Why did you take that?! I was saving it! And when did you get back from Jersey?!”

He swallowed and grinned at me. “Mmmm, that was good.” He taunted, rubbing his stomach with a smirk.

“I hate you.”

“But I love you!” he said, wrapping me in another hug. “We got back from Jersey a few hours ago, so naturally I came over here to harass you. Ooohhh, can I do your hair? I picked out the color!” He squealed, throwing me over his shoulder and running up the stairs to the bathroom. He threw me onto the counter right next to the already prepared hair dye. “Now,” he said, pulling on some gloves. “Are we dying your entire head, streaking it, or what?”

“Hm…can you dye just the bottom layer? I think that will look cool.”

“You don’t even know what color it is.”

“As long as it’s not any form of blonde, it will look good.”

“Whatever you say, Ems. Whatever you say.” He replied with a chuckle as he pinned the top few layers of my hair up. If the boy didn’t have a girlfriend, I’d swear he was gay.