Status: completed

Fall Out Girl

I waste my time dreaming of being alive

The Freshman Bash was so much fun! Apparently Nick and a few of his upper-class friends were in a band together: Pies Are Square. They weren’t the best of the night, but they weren’t the worst either. In the dead middle of their last song, Nick stopped singing and looked at me. His band members looked as if it was planned and kept on playing their instruments. Nick looked straight at me and asked me out… he sang the question, actually. Which only made it even funnier. I accepted (of course). He eagerly jumped back into the song and rushed through it. Nick finished the song off by jumping off the stage and screaming into the mic. When he was done screaming, he pulled me into a sweaty hug and squeezed me tightly. I squeezed back equally strong.

As the night went on and the bands kept playing, I found myself in Nick’s arms more and more. Lexi and Roxie, two freshmen that were also pre-med, kept “awing” and giggling every time they thought Nick and I were “getting intimate.” We weren’t, we were actually putting a show on for them because we had nothing better to do.

By the end of the night, I was dead tired. Nick and I went our separate ways. Lexi and Roxie had to help me into my room since I was falling all over the place. If someone wasn’t with the entire night, then they would think that I was completely wasted.

The next morning, my cell phone woke me up.

“Who the fuck are you and what the fuck do you want?” I grumbled.

“Good morning, Sunshine!” Nick greeted happily. “Tell me, is that how you greet everyone you know?”

“Only assholes that wake me up.”

“Ah, so I should get used to it? Fair enough. Well, since you’re already up, I highly suggest you get your ass into a shower.”

“Why?” I was seriously ready to fall back asleep.

“Because, I’m taking my beautiful girlfriend out today!”

“Um, ok? Did you tell your girlfriend when so that she could prepare?” I asked, playing along with him.

“Well, I was going to surprise her, but then I decided that I didn’t want to make her mad on our first time out as an official couple so, I’m giving her an hour in advance. Does that sound good?”

“I don’t know, an hour’s pushing it, but being the nice girlfriend she is, I guess she can deal.”

“Good. See ya in an hour. Peace.”

“Yea, yea, yea…see you then.” I hung up the phone and grabbed my towel. I took a quick shower, blow-dried and styled my hair, changed into some clothes, and applied light foundation, mascara, and eye shadow. Nick knocked on my door right as I was finishing applying my makeup. I yelled at him to come in as I slipped on my shoes. He smiled as he looked me up and down. I spun around for him and smirked. “Like what you see?”

He nodded his head and grabbed my waist. “Absolutely beautiful. Will you kill me if I kissed you?” I shook my head and our lips touched. He was soft and gentle, if not a little timid.

“Ok, Mr. Rockstar, let’s go.” I joked when we pulled apart. He smiled and led me around campus to one of the student parking lots to a ’76 light blue Mustang Convertible that he told me was one of his good friends. Laughing, I got into the passenger’s seat (unassisted, thank god!) and fiddled with the radio. He laughed when I put it on a classic rock station, saying that it was the only good radio station up here.

He took me to lunch and a movie (“The Time Machine,” one of my favorite books, but I was slightly disappointed that the movie didn’t do it justice). I had so much fun. Nick was a guy that I could just relax and be myself around. With Pete, I always had to show him that I was okay and functioning normally on a day to day basis. After the movie, we clowned around in the mini-arcade (I so beat him at the racing game) before heading back to campus. As soon as we got in the car, my cell went off. I shot a quick apology to him before answering it.

“Hello?”

“Amelia! You didn’t call! I thought you died! Joe had to keep me sane!”

I immediately felt guilty. “Really? I am so sorry. I was dead tired by the end of the show and you know how I get when I’m that tired. And tell Chewy that I’m sorry he had to put up with your instability.”

“That’s not nice.”

“But it’s true. Am I forgiven if I call you three times tomorrow?”

“Why can’t you talk now?”

“I’m on a date, Smart-ass.”

“Ooooohhhhhh, so sorry! Yea, that will be fine. Love ya!”

I chuckled into the receiver. “Love ya, too. Buh-bye.” I hung up the phone and laced my fingers with Nick’s. “Sorry, Patrick has separation-anxiety issues.”

Nick laughed. “From what you’ve told me about him, that’s not hard to see. When are you going to see him next?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Mom and he aren’t coming up for Parent’s Weekend because we don’t have that much money and Mom works a lot. I don’t know, I may see Pat when his band tours and they play a show around here. I’m staying with one of our best friend’s dads in Jersey for Thanksgiving…so, December, I guess.”

“Wow, that has to suck. Well, my parents aren’t coming for Parent’s Weekend either. Why don’t I call my dad and he can fly us home for the weekend. I’m sure he won’t mind.”

“No, I couldn’t do that…all that money…”

He pulled into a random parking lot and parked the car. “Emmy, stop. It’s ok. He’s a pilot. He’s flying from here to Chicago anyways, he’ll love to have company, trust me. It’s not going to be a big deal.”

“Are you only doing this so you won’t have an ubber-depressed and homesick girlfriend on your hands?”

“No, even if we weren’t dating, I would still offer it to you, okay?”

I nodded and looked away. He cupped my head in his hands and guided my chin up.

“Don’t. Don’t be sad or ashamed, okay? I really like you, Emmy. Let’s not make this money-issue cause a fight. That would be bad. I promise to never make you feel overwhelmed or uncomfortable, okay? But you have to talk to me.”

I nodded my head and brushed my lips against him. “Thanks, you’re too sweet.”

“No, don’t do that, either, okay? You’re worth more than you give yourself credit for. It’s an honor to know you, let alone date you. Any guy would kill to have a girl as beautiful, talented, funny, smart, and creative as you. Never think that you’re not worthy, if anything, I’m not worthy of you. Better?”

I smiled and shook my head. “Nope. You didn’t give me my kiss.”

“How foolish of me.” He reached over and grabbed the back of my head. When our lips touched this time, all of my senses exploded. When we pulled apart, my lips instantly felt cool. He still held onto my cheek, his thumb creating calming circles near my jaw. “What did he do to mess up a pretty girl like you?”

I just bit my lip. I didn’t blame Pete for anything, yes, he was a tad bit on the controlling side, but it wasn’t bordering on emotional abuse. I knew that he was looking after me because of my situation. Back then, I needed someone with a bit of controlling side. Not now, though. I was more insecure that my MPD would spring back up (hence my weekly calls with Dr. B) and that it would drive Nick and all of my new friends away. I didn’t want to become a test subject to the professors and administration. I didn’t want to become an observation to the student body. I just wanted to be me. I wanted to be Emmy, the college student.

Without another word said, Nick put the car into drive and we spent the rest of the ride in silence- the radio was the only source of noise. He pulled into student parking and parked the car in the only open spot. I quickly unbuckled my seat belt and almost opened the door. He set his hand on my own. I looked back into his warm eyes.

“Let’s not talk about his for awhile. I just don’t want to fight. I like you too much to have you mad at me.”

I smiled and pecked his lips. “Deal. Now, do we want to show ourselves off or be all anti-social in one of our rooms?”

“Depends. How long will it be until Lexi and Roxie bombard you with questions?”

“Hrm, almost instantaneously with us walking through the door to my hall. Playstation in your room?”

“I concur.” We got out of the car and linked our arms together. We are such Freaks…but a higher class of freaks…we’re Ivey League Freaks.

~*~

Dinner was entertaining. Nick and I didn’t say anything about our date, which was pissing Lexi and Roxie off. Dylan, Matt, and Paul- Nick’s band- was also thoroughly entertained by the girls. Nick and I kept stealing glances at each other before we started cracking up, resulting in the other guys cracking up, causing two very angry glares in our direction. Our laugh-fest was cut short by one of Nick’s freshmen running up and needing his immediate attention.

Grumbling, Nick got up and pressed his lips quickly to mine. “Don’t stay up too late, you have an early class tomorrow. And call your brother; I’m pretty sure he’ll explode if he misses your call again. Bye guys. Bye girls.” He nodded their way before following the freshman.

“Wow, you got him whipped. Congrats, you just broke the record.”

I gave Dylan a confused look. “What?”

“He’s like a little puppy! I give you props.”

“How do I have him whipped? That is not puppy dog behavior.”

“trust me. For Nick, that is puppy dog behavior.” Matt cut in. I rolled my eyes.

“Whatever, I’m going to my room. Are you guys coming or are you going to stay?” I asked Lexi and Roxie. They both nodded and got up, grabbing their trays as they went.

Lexi, Roxie, and I actually met in our Bio 101 class. Then we were in Chemistry and Cal 1 together…which we all found strange until the fact that we were all pre-med was brought up. That’s when everything clicked and we became friends immediately. Lexi was the tallest, standing at 5’7.” Her hair was the exact opposite of mine (which everyone found amusing): it was black with blond undertones. Roxie, however, was the shortest, standing only at 5’2.” She reminded me of a black-haired and with her pale skin and red frames at first, but then I found out that she acted nothing like him.

They finally broke me down into telling them “the down and dirty” about my lunch date with Nick. I told them pretty much everything that happened, leaving out the whole ending fight thing.

“Aweh. That’s so sweet how he’s willing to call his dad so that you can see your family for the holidays!”Roxie gushed. “Damn, how did you snag him? He’s cute, smart, and RICH! Emmy, you’re now in charge of finding me a boyfriend.”

I laughed and shook my head. “Yea, that’s the only thing I’m worried about.”

“Finding Roxie a boyfriend? It’s not that hard, just point and say Sick ‘em, Rox!” Roxie glared at her. “Just kidding! Sheesh!”

I chuckled lightly. “Nah, not that…the whole money thing. He’s going to buy me elaborate expensive stuff that’s too beautiful to not accept, so I’ll feel guilty for buying him inexpensive things…”

“Hon, he started dating you knowing full well your situation. Hell, he even said that he won’t make you uncomfortable. Just let it go for now. It’s only been one official day.” Roxie said, placing one hand on my knee.

“Yea, thanks. Can you give me some room, though? I feel as if I need someone at home. I’ll see you tomorrow in class.”

“Ok,” they replied with small smiles before exiting my room . I immediately called Kay.
She picked up with a laugh. “Emmy! We haven’t talked in AGES! What’s up?!”

“Kay, I need my best friend.” I could see her happy face fall.

“Ok, let me get away from the guys. Hold on.” There was some scuffing around and muffled voices. “Alright, I’m back. Shit, it’s cold! Oh, never mind, my charming boyfriend brought me a big blanket….and now I’m comfy so spill.”

“Ok, this is the only way I know how to start, so…do you think that Pete was bad for me? As in, I’m so unsure of myself because of him? All the worrying and controlling that he did?”

“Emmy, I don’t think-”

“NO! I need you! Be honest with me, Kay.”

“Ok. Fine. If anything, I think he helped you more than you realize. He opened you up. He got you to trust…Hell, he got you to love again.”

“I was not in love with Peter fucking Lewis Kingston III.”

“But…he’s in love with you…” I froze in shock. That was Pete. Why the fuck was he over there? How much did he hear? I spent a few minutes just catching my breath. I could hear his ragged breathing on the other end. “Please say something, Emmy. You’re killing me with your silence.”

Ka-thunk! the phone clattered to the ground, leaving me standing in a state of shock and confusion.
♠ ♠ ♠
surprised? I know I was. this took forever to write! but I'm so proud of it!!!!! Kudos to Morganne for confessing her love of abnormal psych (j/k, but I'm telling you it's a flippin occult). Skittles to everyone who comments.....and triple skittles to Kay!!!!! I won't place a direct comment # on this...b/c...well, you all will probably shatter it and get fussy at me that I don't put the next update on time...like I said, I'm very proud of how this chapter turned out.

=D Bree!!!!