Status: completed

Fall Out Girl

7 Minutes in Heaven

Dark blue, silver and black streamers, table cloths, and general wedding decorations were strewn across the Hurley’s backyard. I looked out at the reception from the back porch, a glass of sparkling water in my hand. Just about everyone was here: family, friends, Andy’s crazy Uncle Larry, some people from the label, MCR, Will and his band (that I could never remember the name of), and even Green Day was here (imagine my shocked face when Billie Joe was at the buffet table with me). The wedding was beautiful, the little bit that I was cognitive for. Let’s just say Pete was the Best Man, and I the Maid of Honor. He said “hi” to me, but I didn’t respond. I couldn’t. I only felt two emotions around him: confusion and anger. And I really didn’t feel like ruining Andy and Kay’s weeding- it was their day, they didn’t need to deal with my drama.

“You’ve always looked good in blue,” he muttered into my ear, sending a chill down my spine.

I froze. I thought I was doing so well by avoiding him. I looked down at my midnight blue strapless cocktail dress.

“Emmy, can’t we at least be civil to each other? You said that you would at least tolerate me.”

“Emmy! There you are! Oh, and Pete! Good! We’re about to start the dance!”

I shot the bride a confused look.

“You know, Andy and my first dance? You two need to dance, too!”

“Kay, that dance is reserved specifically for the bride and groom.” Pete replied, giving me an uneasy look.

“Pete, when have Andy and I ever been normal? All the bridesmaids and groomsmen are going to dance with their partners. C’mon, we’re about to start, then I’ll throw the bouquet.” She said, grabbing both of our hands and dragging us to the lawn where the “dance floor” was.

The DJ stopped the fast-pace dance that was taking place as the guys from My Chemical Romance took the stage. Gerard nodded to DJ and took the mic.

“Hey, fuckers! Having fun?” the guests yelled back. “Ok, so this is something special that the groom ordered- holy fucking hell, Andy, that’s weird to say. Anyways, this is The World is Ugly. The best of luck to you guys.”

Gerard started singing one of the saddest songs that I have ever heard- it was weird to think of it as a wedding song since it sounded like it was ended for a funeral. Pete shifted awkwardly in front of me and held out his hand. Begrudgingly, I accepted it and he led me out to the dance floor. He stopped and pulled me close to him, slipping a hand to the middle of my back.

"The World is Ugly, but you're beautiful to me," Pete sung along with Gerard.

I gave him a hard glare before looking over to where Brian was standing with my mom. He was laughing- she giggling- as she took his hand and started dancing. a smile crept onto my lips. It was nice to know that my mom approved of him.

“It reminds me of Senior Prom,” he muttered into my ear, bringing me back into reality. “And all the awkwardness that went with it. Look, Joe and Brittany are even making out on the dance floor again.”

I looked up at him and nodded. I was determined not to talk to him.

“You have to talk to me sometime, Emmy.”

I shook my head and looked over his shoulder. Brian was sitting down and laughing with Will and his date.

“Fine, then, if you won’t talk, I’ll just keep on chattering away.” He took a deep breath and guided my head so that I was looking at him. “Does he know? Does he know your secrets?”

“I don’t see the reason for you to be so concerned about my love life.”

“It got you to talk to me.”

“Peter-”

“It matters to me because I know that you two aren’t meant to be. You just watch it- at your next fancy meal, he’ll serve you white wine when you really prefer red.”

“Pete, stop-”

“Telling the truth? I’m sorry, Emmy, but I can’t let you do this. You’re going to be miserable for the rest of your life.” I stopped dancing and stepped away from him.

“May I cut in?” Brian asked from my left.

“Of course, I need to speak to Patrick anyways. Have fun, Emmy.” Pete said with a forced smile before leaving us.”

Brian twirled me around and I relaxed dramatically. It was so easy and fun to dance with him. At the end of the song, I kissed Brian and dragged him over to my twin and Roxie. I grabbed Furby and began “dancing” with my nephew. He giggled and babbled. To anyone passing by, he looked like a perfectly healthy baby. According to Pat and Roxie, his symptoms rarely flared up and were mild when they were present.

I looked down at the innocent baby in my arms. He was so happy. So carefree. Would he be like this if he knew he was dying? What if my child has Tay-Sachs? Would I be able to bear the pain of losing them? Brian wrapped an arm around me and made funny faces at Furby. He took him from my arms and kissed my temple.

“Don’t worry, Sweetie. Everything will be alright.”

I nodded and smiled. It was so easy to fake now.

Later that night, I was sitting with the newlyweds. Brian was off with my mom, Pat and Roxie. We were laughing and carrying on like old times when Andy gave me some strange news.

“You know, Pete and Ashlee broke up. Apparently she’s pregnant with someone else’s kid.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Ok? Why would I care and what brought this on?”

Andy shrugged. “Just thought you would want to know. I saw how you were dancing with him.”

“Because you and Kay wanted me to.”

“It was more than just dancing. I saw the look in your eyes- in both your eyes. There’s still something there.”

“You’re being ridiculous. I was looking at Brian.”

Kay sat forward. “Emmy, anyone can tell that you and Brian aren’t really meant for each other. Why do you think that Pete was named the Best Man?”

“Because Pat is my twin and it would be awkward to dance with him for a slow song and Joe…” I couldn’t think of why they didn’t choose Joe… “Oh my god, I’m engaged, for Christ’s sake! I can’t believe you two! Andy, what would you have done if I tried to set you up with someone while you and Kay were still engaged? What about you, Kay? You guys….gah! I can’t think of what you two are, surely not my friends!”

“Emmy, we care about you. There’s still something between you and Pete.”

“There’s nothing between Pete and I! You want to know what I was feeling when I was dancing with Pete? Uncomfortable- that’s what it was: uncomfortable and awkward. There was nothing there- it was like dancing with a stranger, not a guy I have known for eight years.”

“Emmy, we were just trying to help.” Andy said, reaching out a hand to me.

I glared at it. “Then why don’t you mind your own damn business for once and stop snooping in mine? Why can’t anyone see that I’m perfectly happy with Brian? Why do all of you want me to be unhappy and stressed?”

“It’s not that- we’re with you-”

“No, Kay, you’re on Pete’s side- not mine. I know where I’m not wanted and will show myself to the door. Have fun in Fiji.” I said, standing up and walking away from the table. Walking through the house, I grabbed Brian out of the kitchen and dragged him out of the front door. He didn’t say a word to me. I think he already somewhat knew what happened or what was said.

“Emmy, I’ll always love you,” he told me back in the house. I had already shed my dress and dawned a new set of clothes. I was packing my bags, ready to leave as soon as they were done.

“And I’ll always love you, Brian,” I replied back.

“Stop,” he said, grabbing a hold of my wrist. “Please look at me and tell me what’s wrong. What happened back there?”

I looked at him and let me emotions show. “They’re all against me,” I whispered, tears threatening to fall.

“What do you mean?”

“They set me up. They wanted to show me that I still loved Pete.”

“And do you?”

“No. that dance was the most awkward thing I have ever done.”

“Are you lying to me?”

“I can’t lie to you, Bri, you know that.” That hurt. For him to think I was lying. He was the only other person besides Pat that could read me like a book.

“I know, I’m sorry, but I had to be certain. Do you forgive me?”

“Of course,” I replied, leaning down to kiss him. I somehow would up on his lap. “Bri, can we just have a court wedding? I really don’t feel like going through a ceremony. Just think of all the people I’m obligated to invite.”

He bit his bottom lip on the right side as he pondered my request. “How about this: we’ll fly out to Cali and have a ceremony so small, that only our immediate family and their significant others are allowed to come. I know that both of our parents would kill us if we didn’t have some sort of ceremony.” He added the last part with a smile. “And then we can spend a week in London- I know how much you’ve been dying to go there.”

I smiled and kissed him hard. “Sold. Immediate family only ceremony and a week in London.” I pecked his lips before getting up. “Now let’s finish packing. I want to get away from this drama asap.”

“Yes, Ma’am,” he laughed, getting up and packing all of his stuff.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took forever, but I've basically been running around in circles and have been unofficially banned from one of my best friends house due to a certain person that I turned down "in his time of need" wtfe. I don't care. Anyhoo, I love all of ya and your patience for sticking with this story. Heads up, it's starting to wind down- really only about two more major events happening and they're somewhat intertwined. That's all you're getting.

5 comments= update

oh, is there anyone else getting the weird message from the mods and it doesn't say what story "isn't following guidelines"?