Status: completed

Fall Out Girl

I saw God crying in the reflection of my enemies

Pat’s POV
July 26, 2011


“Hey, Honey, how are you?” I asked into the phone. I had two minutes until I had to play.

“We- we lost him, Pat. We lost our boy. When are you coming home?”

I sucked in a breath. I knew that there was no way that I could cancel a show this close to curtain call. “I’ll be there as soon as I can. Call my mom, she’ll stay with you until I get there.”

“I want you here now.”

“I know, I’m getting there as soon as I can, but I can’t cancel this show I have less than a minute to get on stage. Trust me, Roxie, there’s no other place I want to be than by your side, but this is my job. I’ll see if I can cut the show short.

“Please, get here soon.”

“I promise. I’ll be there as soon as I can. Honey, I have to go now. Love you.”

“Love you, too.”

I shut my phone and was quickly ushered to the stage. I grabbed my guitar and placed myself in front of my mic. I had to stay strong in front of the fans. I had to pretend that my child hadn’t just died- that everything was just peachy. Inside, I was screaming to go home.

“Are you okay, Man? You’re crying.” Pete whispered in my ear half way through the set.

I stopped playing and singing. I put a hand under my eye and wiped away the tears I didn’t know I was crying. I looked out into the crowd and tried to distinguish some of the faces of our fans. I couldn’t. Pretty soon, the entire band stopped- I could feel my best friends’ eyes on me.

“I’m so sorry, guys, but I can’t play anymore. My baby just died and I’m needed in Chicago. I hope you will understand,” I whispered into the mic before darting off the stage and throwing my guitar at Dirty. I hailed a taxi to go to the nearest airport, where I caught a red eye home. The fans could wait, my family needed me more.

Emmy’s POV

“That will be $30 even.” The cabby said.

Smiling, I gave him the money and got out of the car with my luggage. I had been gone for two months on my medical tour. It was fun seeing the country and meeting medical professionals, but it was so nice to be home.

“Brian! Jarek! I’m home!” I yelled into the house. I was expecting everyone to shout “surprise” when I flicked on the lights… there was nothing. No one was in the house. Dropping my bags, I ran through the house, trying to find my family or at least a note. It was only until I got in the kitchen, that I found one plastered to the door.

Emmy-
We’re gone. It seems all you care about is your research and getting back at your father. I don’t want my son to grow up in that kind of environment. During the two months that you were gone, I filed for divorce and gained custody over my son. All you need to do is sign the papers on the kitchen table and seal it in the pre-addressed envelope. I know this may seem very sudden for you, but I have been feeling that our love was fading ever since my son was born. I’m sorry, but I can’t be in love with someone who is in love with someone else… and I don’t mean Pete. If you want to discuss this like mature adults, then come by my parent’s house. We can talk one final time and we can arrange some times that you can see him. We couldn’t make it through the first three years, and for that I partially blame myself.
I wish you loved me,
Brian T. Macone


P.S. You will never know how sorry I am for writing you a “Dear Jane” letter, but I feel that I couldn’t say the right words in front of you. Hopefully, you’ll forgive me and one day, a long time from now, you’ll see that I do this in the best interest of my son.


I had to read the letter at least five times before it would sink in. My husband- my only love- was gone. My son- my own flesh and blood- was gone. I had to steady myself against the back of the chair. My hands found their way to the large envelope. Numbly, I grabbed the papers and read over them. I could tell that he had typed them up. There weren’t any black holes or strange wording that could be taken in several different meanings. No, it was plain and straight forward. No loop holes, no tricks. Jarek would go to Brian. I didn’t have to pay child support. I got to keep the house, the car… everything but the one thing I wanted most… my family. He even highlighted where I should sign.

Stuffing the papers back in the envelope, I grabbed the car keys and my purse and headed over to my mother-in-law’s house. When he opened the front door, I knew that I looked like a mess. I had been crying the entire way.

“Emmy,” he breathed. “I didn’t realize you would be here so soon.” He added, shutting the door behind him. He leaned against it with his hands behind his back.

“Can you please explain these to me?” I asked, willing myself to not cry as I held up the envelope.

“I thought they were pretty straight forward.”

“No, not that. Why?”

He let out a long sigh and brought me to the bench swing. I remained standing as he sat down.

“Brian, tell me why. I thought everything was fine between us!”

“It says it all in the note I left you.”

“Bull! Tell me why you didn’t confront me when you first started feeling this way! Tell me why you just up and left with our son! Tell me why you don’t love me anymore…”

“I do, Emmy. I do still love you.”

“Then why?”

“Because, you don’t love me anymore.”

“That’s not true! God Brian! Why would you even think that!”

“Because, it’s true. When was the last time you told me you love me and meant it?”

“The last time I called you.”

“No, you were faking it. When was the last time you kissed me with passion?”

I surged forward and attached my lips to his. I was going to show him that our love was still there. That I wasn’t going to let go of one of the best things in my life that easily. He quickly responded, but didn’t over-flood my senses like he usually did. His arms wrapped around me and I put my tongue further into his mouth, awakening both of our sense. He pushed me back a few moments later and looked into my eyes.

“See? There’s nothing there anymore.”

I pleaded at him with my eyes. “Please, Brian. Don’t leave me. Not like this. I still love you and I’m willing to give us another shot.” I broke down and let the desperation seep through my words. “Every man I have ever loved has left me.”

“That’s your fault now, isn’t it?”

I slapped him hard. “So it was my choice to let my father rape me repeatedly? It was my choice that Parker be put into a coma and pulled off life support?”

“You failed to mention Pete.”

“Don’t you dare bring him into this! I haven’t talked to him since Kay and Andy’s wedding!”

Dance, Magic, Dance. Dance, Magic, Dance. Put that Magic spell on me…” My cellphone sung.

“Five bucks says it’s either the hospital or Patrick. They're the only calls you pick up anymore.”

“Hello?” I asked into the receiver, completely ignoring Brian’s rude comment.

“Emmy, you need to come to Chicago right now.” My mother said on the other end.

“Mom? Why?”

“It’s Emmet. I’m afraid he’s…passed on.”

I dropped the phone and ran a shaky hand through my tangled hair.

“Yes, Ms. Stump, she’ll be there right away. Ok, see you then.” Brian hung up my phone and pressed it into my hand. “I’m sorry, Emmy,” he said in a kind voice.

“Don’t… Brian, just don’t.” I said. I grabbed the papers out of the envelope and signed them. “Here, this is what you wanted. Just- let me see my son one last time.”

“Emmy, we can work this out.”

“No, we can’t. Just, let me say goodbye.”

He nodded his head and went inside. Not two minutes later, he brought Jarek back outside.

My son squealed excitedly and giggled when he was transferred into my arms. I blew a few raspberries into his tummy and buried my nose into the crook of his neck. “No matter what happens, little man, I’ll always love you.” I whispered in the baby’s ear. “Your mommy will always love you. I want you to take good care of yourself and be good to Daddy. Ok? I love you so much.” I went into my purse and scribbled a quick, heartfelt note to my son. “Brian, please give this to him when he can understand what happened to this family. And, please, don’t tell him that I never loved him.”

“I promise that I’ll give him the note and tell him that you loved him too much for words.” He recited, taking both my son and the letter.

I gave my baby boy a small smile and ruffled up the few hairs he had. “Oh, and you can keep the car and the house. When I go back to Chicago, I’m going to stay there with my mom. It’s- it’s for the best. Well, arrivederci, mio amore.”

Brian gave me a small smile before heading back into the house. I arrived back to the house sooner than expected. I packed all my clothes and trinkets before calling a cab to take me to the airport.

How is it that nothing ever works out to my advantage?
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, complete sadness.....BUT! It's long and happier times are soon to come! I promise! And there's always the bittersweet epilogue I'm planning!!!

5 comments= update

ok. so I just figured out that there are only about two more chunky chapters left and an epilogue that I don't know how long it will be.

='( I'm going to miss this story