Sequel: Call It Karma
Status: Done :)

Sweet Illusions

the firework kiss.

"This is so romantic," Madison cooed, wrapped up in Kennedy's arms, the love in her voice was so apparent all the guys let out a groan in unison. Elliot was included in the guys, wondering when the cutesy-cutesy couple things would end. It was sickeningly sick, but it didn't mean she wasn't happy for her best friend, the whole thing was a little overbearing.

"I love you, baby," Kennedy whispered, as the fireworks came popping up into the dark night sky with the stars, shining brighter with a plethora of colors spreading across the sky.

"Fuck, if you two want to be alone we'll leave!" Garrett finally stood up, careful not to step on the beer bottles scattered around the fire pit. Everyone eventually followed suit to go down onto the peer and continue watching the array of red, white and blue sparks bursting in the air.

Elliot stood up, shaking her head at her best friend completely smitten with the boy at her side, but continued following a silhouette of someone walking quickly in front of her. Someone grabbed her hand, panic ran through her veins at the fact she couldn't see who it was.

"So where exactly are we going?" Elliot mouthed off sarcastically as usual to the figure leading the way. Honestly, it was exciting wandering into the darkness, his hand clutched onto hers tightly and protectively. She felt safe and right with him.

"I have to show you something," He whispered ambiguously, she could barely make out the words he was saying. Her heart quickened its beat as they started wandering through the house. The dim lights barely offered any help as they climbed stairs, but she saw his outline, broad shoulders and lanky figure as they continued walking.

"Do you usually kidnap people and take them inside when there's a spectacle outside?" She asked, trying to force her mind away from her body's response to him. She just wanted to lay in his arms and whisper secrets they'd never told anyone else to each other.

"I have to say you're the first," He chuckled, clearly ignoring her jab which just made her heart melt more. Soon they were in the master bedroom climbing up the balcony onto the roof. He held her hand tightly as she took the gaping step up, looking down and seeing darkness. When they finally sat down again, Elliot finally had a chance to soak in her surroundings and it took her breath away.

"This is so beautiful," She whispered, forgetting he was there for a second until she looked and saw his bright bluish-green eyes staring at her with a mix of emotions in them, luckily they had sobered up enough to make the climb up here.

"I know, this was Mallory and me's big secret place. Everything just seemed more peaceful up here, like when our families were starting drama with each other we could escape. No one else knows about it," He tacked on.

"John-" Elliot began, she didn't know exactly what she was going to say, all she knew was that she wanted to talk to him and maybe open up. Maybe let him take her away.

"Elliot, I understand this started out weird, but something about you makes me want to be a better person," John admitted quietly, his eyes shifting to the fireworks sounding off in the distance, followed by loud cracks and clouds of color. "I like you, I'm not afraid to admit it- even if you don't feel the same way," John smiled.

"You don't even know me," Elliot said softly, feeling a bit of guilt and wishing that he wouldn't have fallen for her tricks. Was it the tricks? Or was it actually her? She cursed in her mind knowing she could never tell the difference.

"I want to, I want to know everything about you: what makes you smile when you're about to cry, what song you hear and have to sing along to, what your favorite thing to do is when no one is around, everything," John stated boldly, he looked up at her unsure of what her reaction would be, but all she did was smirk and plant a kiss on lips and with fate or simply perfect timing fireworks began shooting off.

Their hands reached for each other as she deepened the kiss, feeling his heart racing just as quickly as hers. She was tempted to open her eyes to soak up the beauty in the moment, but got lost in a kiss that made her feel amazing and serene. She'd never felt this way just from a kiss before, that's when her eyes shot open and she broke off the kiss with the straightening of her spine. Tears began forming behind her golden eyes as she studied his hurt face.

"John- I-" She began feeling horribly guilty about too many things.

"Elliot if you don't like me it's okay- just please don't lead me on," John mumbled, his eyes looking down at the grayish-black roof tiles, his long fingers picking at them as a way to keep busy.

"John, I like you... a lot actually, I just- I can't explain," Elliot whispered, her voice threatening to crack under the pressure of everything. Her heart seemed to swell with sadness at the situation she had found herself in.

"Well, whenever you're ready to or you can, I'll be here to listen," He smiled, his spirits picked up from just that one bit of information she had shared and she felt her heart flutter. "Don't worry about it, just don't keep me waiting forever okay?" John laughed wrapping an arm around her in a semi-hug.

"I won't," She whispered sweetly, before pressing her lips to his cheek, wondering why he would wait for her. Why he would not give up on her like she had on so many others. He was different, the breath of fresh air she was waiting for.

She waited for John to remove his arm, but he never did. Even as the two of them laid flat watching the explosions of colors above them, her head resting on his chest. His arm had to have been falling asleep by then, but he kept her wrapped up safely until the firework show stopped and they heard voices below mentioning their names.

"Well, we should probably get back before they start wondering where we are," John said, sitting up and ultimately pulling her up. She was dazed, before she realized what was happening John was making his way down to the balcony again. She kept her gaze on him, a smitten smile on her pink, plush lips before following him and stopping him from re-entering the house. "What?" He looked up, slightly curiously and slightly worried.

"This night was flawless and you were the reason," She blushed before quickly walking into the house and meeting up with her friends, then harder alcohol was served.

"Oh so where have you two been?!" Jared cooed with a mocking tone, raising his eyebrows with innuendo, and almost on cue both their cheeks flushed a bright pink before their eyes averted.

"We were just talking," Elliot laughed, trying to play it off by shoving Jared and stealing a sip of his beer, but the suspicious eyes still followed them as they parted from each other and tried to mingle within their group of friends. After all, they were just friends, nothing had really happened. Elliot's eyes met John's before Jared said something in a hushed tone and the two best friends discussed her right in front of her eyes. Well, she couldn't really tell if they were talking about her, but the looks they were giving her were the same as the looks she received when girls were talking about her in high school, involuntarily raising a level of insecurity in her gut.

Finally, Madison and Kennedy rejoined the group with swollen lips, red from kissing and they smiled as a slow, sarcastic 80's clap started and they blushed. Kennedy wrapped his arm proudly around Madison and flicked the group off before kissing her passionately in front of them again. Somehow, they had managed to join the group before shots were passed around.

The night quickly became a blur of laughter, shots and crazy ideas, but the secret between John and Elliot made her heart flutter along with the subtle glances. She was too lost to know she had started for a dark road.
♠ ♠ ♠
THANK YOU TO: skele-grow, laceyvengence, la dispute., liar's lane., stealthemoonlight, keriberry234, somebody_who_cares, whilethefirewasout i don't say this enough, but i love you guys.
STILL don't have internet cause i'm a broke bitch, but i'm doing my best
thank you for keeping up with my stories even though i suck!
also if i started a kennedy story would you read it?
thank you! thank you! thank you!