Status: please comment and subscribe.

Monster

First Victory

The following day Shiori kept her distance with Dex asking for space that she needed from him. It was all too much when they fought the other day about something as simple as spending time together. Dex was never this possessive, but now that Paul has been giving her more attention Dex has been more affectionate with her during school hours.

Everything was just off.

Nothing felt natural anymore.

Shiori sat quietly next to her mother who was trying to become as friendly as possible. Watching her mother force smiles and hugs were a little bit much coming from her because of how traditional she was, but after being forced into a baby shower, she felt cornered. The swelled belly mother stood up on her feet with a bit of help from her daughter before she waddled towards the kitchen to get something.

“I bet your little brother is going to be cute as a button. If he has the looks of his father, he’ll definitely be a heartbreaker.” Shiori smiled as Ronnie’s aunt Ada scooted closer to the younger girl. The light blonde hair of the older woman stood out from the rest of the group, the bright red lipstick and body con clothing was a dead giveaway that Ronnie and Ada are indeed related.

“He definitely will be. Do you want me to refill that for you?” Motioning her head towards the cup.

“If you don’t mind.” Ada sheepishly smiled.

“Not at all. I’ll be right back.” Shiori grabbed the cup from the woman’s hands before she bee lined to the kitchen to see her mother leaning on the counter with a small frown on her face. Making her presence known, Yuki spun around in shock.

“Shiori, do not scare me like that.”

“Sorry.” Her dark eyes wandered her mother’s body as if something was wrong, blinking she stepped closer. “Is everything alright?”

“I’m fine.” Her mother snapped. Yuki recollected herself as she mumbled that she needed to get back in there for the rest of the party. Shiori could see her mother cringing at every single balloon and pale blue decorations that were surrounding the large space of their living room. Refilling Ada’s cup, Ronnie jumped on the counter as she swung her legs back and forth.

“How are you holding up?”

Shiori glanced up at her best friend before she screwed the bottle cap back on. “When did you get here?”

“A few minutes ago, waited for your mom to leave the premises.” The light blue eyes of the blond headed girl gazed down at the timid teen that was fiddling with the cup in her hands. “How are you holding up?” She repeated herself.

The long needed sigh left her lips, “Dex took it really hard when I told him that I needed some space to figure things out.”

Ronnie scoffed as she rolled her baby blue eyes, “Dex has been a real asshole as of late. What the fuck is wrong with him? Ya know what’s wrong with him? He’s jealous like I said before. He sees that he can potentially lose you to that dick of a guy that you started crushing on and he’s threatened by it. Maybe if you reassure him that nothing is going on then he will be back to his normal self.”

As much as Ronnie wanted Dex and Shiori to be together, she was pissed off when she heard the things that Dex told her best friend the other night. No wonder Shiori has been running towards Paul. It’s like they have switched roles…

“Maybe your right.” She mumbled.

“I am right. Now go call him and tell ‘em.” Ronnie pushed Shiori to an empty and quiet space before she sauntered into the living room with her aunt’s drink.

Shiori nibbled on her lip as she gazed down at her phone not knowing if it was the right call to actually contact him after saying she needed some space. The young teen could picture Dex pacing around in his room wondering what he did wrong; that image alone made her gut twist.

Taking a deep swallow breath, she quickly dialed his number and pressed the phone to her ear. Her dark orbs flickered around the area cautiously hoping that no one noticed that she was missing, if her mother only knew what she was doing, it would be unacceptable. Hearing the ring in her ears, her heart pounded as her nerves grew and when his dark husky voice answered, she froze.

“Shiori?”

Her mouth instantly dried, her mind went blank. She didn’t know why she called him. “Hello? Shiori? You okay?”

Instantly she glanced down at her phone to see if she actually called the right number. She didn’t. Catching her breath, she pressed the phone against her ear again as she recomposed herself as much as possible. “H-Hello?”

“Shiori?” The dark voice asked slowly as if he was trying to comprehend what was going on. “What is going on?”

“Uh, I, uh. I was just…I don’t know what I’m doing.” Shiori sheepishly smiled, her body leaned against the counter for some kind of balance. “I guess I dialed the wrong number.”

“Oh…” Was that disappointment? “I should leave you to it then-”

“Wait!” Shiori said in haste, she retracted a bit as she mumbled the next part hoping that he didn’t hear what she was saying. “I don’t mind talking to you.”

She could hear the grin spread across his face as he replied, “I don’t mind either.” Heat rushed to her cheeks as she nibbled on her bottom lip in anxiety. What was going on with her? Shiori felt bothered, troubled, and quite flustered just talking to him. “Was there something that you wanted teach?”

Shiori bit back a smile, “That you should be studying and not talking to me. Don’t you have an exam coming up?” The girl couldn’t help, but pat herself on the back for acting so cool around Paul. It was a nice segue into another topic that didn’t revolve around them. When she heard the groan, she chuckled as she gently pushed him to start studying.

“I think it would be better if you were here to help me study. Ya know, so I know what I am actually learning.”

Her brows furrowed, “Oh? And where will we study?”

“My house.”

Paul knew this was the perfect opportunity to spend more quality time with Shiori now that she has put things on hold with Dex. He could almost feel the victory bubbling in his chest whenever he saw Dex. That bitter expression on his face was priceless. It has already been a day and Dex is not taking the break well.

Hearing the silence on the other line, he knew that she was taken aback at his answer. The last time she was at his house, he bit her head off for being there to give him his homework. Now it’s under different circumstances. “Y-Your house? Are you sure your mother is okay with that?”

He rolled his eyes at her question, “My mom could care less. I’ll pick you up after the baby shower is over. Deal?”

When Shiori finally agreed, she hung up the phone with giddiness rising in the pit of her stomach. She shouldn’t be this excited? The butterflies should not be there and yet there they are, fluttering away. Walking back to the living room with all the other guests, Shiori tried to bite back the smile that was threatening to appear on her face.

Once the baby shower was over, Shiori asked her mother if she could study with Paul. Yuki knew of the tutoring her daughter was giving to the older boy and she honestly did not like it. The frown on her face was still there when she agreed on one condition. “You be back at ten sharp. No later.”

“Thank you mama.” Shiori bowed respectively to her mother before cleaning up the mess that was created during the party while she waited for Paul to pick her up.

Taking the trash bags out towards the bins, she saw Paul’s car slowly pull up to a stop. He hopped out of his car and helped her with the bags. “Thank you.”

Her eyes avoided his gaze as he asked, “You ready?”

“I’ll get my bag and I’ll be right out.” She responded shyly, hustling back to the house and grabbing her bag. When she walked back out she noticed something was off, Paul’s back was facing her and a slight rumble vibrated off of his body.

“She doesn’t want to see you.”

Shiori took a step forward as she meekly called out, “Paul?” The taller teen turned around to reveal her boyfriend standing there, angry. Dex glared at Shiori demanding what Paul was doing here.

“None of your damn business.” Paul snapped.

“It is my business what you do with my girl, Grey.”

Shiori stepped between the two with pleading eyes, “Please just stop. I don’t want to argue right now.” Both boys glared daggers at one another before looking down at the girl. “Dex,” She turned her head towards her boyfriend, “Please go home.”

Dex saw he was losing the battle. If he were to stay and demand to know what exactly Paul was doing at her house then she would surely break things off with him and that asshole would win. He could see clearly that Paul has completely turned around to his usual charm that swayed girls to easily spread their legs for him. Dex doesn’t want Shiori to fall into the same charm as the other girls.

She was different and he definitely did not want to lose to him. So for now, he had to comply and back off even though it killed him on the inside.

Taking those few steps back, Paul smirked at the boy as the bastard ushered his girlfriend to the car. Both boys knew that this was victory was Paul’s, but Dex surely was going to win the next one.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to update quickly after the previous chapter. Wonder what Dex is going to do to keep Shiori in his corner...Thanks for all the comments and love for this story.