Rabidity

Retrospection


Narcissa was waiting for the tea to steep as the pregnant girl sat at the edge of the bed, cradling her swollen stomach. Severus reached out to touch her feather light hair as it cascaded from her shoulder – but the locks only fell through his fingertips. Here he was, watching them.

Although his stomach told him the worst, he watched anyway.

Narcissa handed her a salve for her stomach, one that Severus knew Adrienne particularly disliked. It was over scented with pine and worm flume, which when together created a very unpleasant smell. But it was the best on the market to protect the skin during child birth, and due to it’s natural ingredients she was allowed to use it.

He watched as she set it aside without using it, she slowly tucked it behind her so that Narcissa wouldn’t see. She handed her a cup of tea, adding a spoonful of natural sugar to sweeten the taste. She sipped it cautiously, she was obviously bothered by something… but in this memory he could only ponder at what it could be. He had no way of knowing what was going on in that mind of hers.

He could tell she probably wasn’t eating enough for her and the baby, she seemed so frail and sad since he’d last seen her. Perhaps he had done this to her, perhaps it was all his fault. This girl was so young, she was so innocent, but being forced to do something so horrid… Severus found it heartbreaking. Perhaps he had been too hard on leaving her, perhaps he should have humored her fantasy – just for her sake. He could see her swollen eyes, the tears she held back.

Narcissa nearly dropped the tea tray when she heard a familiar ‘pop’ sound echo in the room. The Dark Lord had effortlessly entered her room, leaving both women startled.

Adrienne wiped her eyes, trying to rid the unmistakable evidence that she was sad. Severus could tell she was unprepared for his arrival, even Severus’s pulse quickened.

“My child…” he whispered, “Please do not look so… sad. For tonight, everything will go as planned.”

Both women stared at him, Narcissa had a cold look on her face as usual. It was something she always carried when she was to deal with the Dark Lord directly.

“Potter has been found, and once the boy is dead, and… I have my…”

he stopped, abruptly. Narcissa was most confused, yet the look on Adrienne’s face – was fear.

“How ever did you manage that?” he hissed, his hands curling into fists. Narcissa looked at Adrienne then back at him, almost wondering if they were communicating telepathically.

“The… child is not mine.” He hissed, louder this time, his face turning, as he was genuinely surprised. “You have deceived me for so long… now my dear please inform me of who it is I need to kill… for touching WHAT IS MINE?”

His magic was so great, he was so powerful. With a flick of his wand Adrienne was against the wall, writhing in pain. Something that Severus could not help. Narcissa could do nothing but stay out of his way, her own family’s safety was at stake, she could only try to pretend she was surprised at the affair. Hoping that the Dark Lord would not look to her for answers. But Severus watched as her fists curled behind her back, he knuckles turning white, her face draining of color.

Severus heard that the spell he muttered next, and now it was obvious to how he knew all about her. He wrapped his hands around her neck and squeezed – he was pulling and tearing at all her memories, young and old. Looking for what he needed, it was a painful spell to those whom it was cast upon.

Severus reached out hoping that perhaps he could claw at his hands long enough to free her, but they only faded through them like they were ghosts. He clutched his chest and watched while she fought him. She tried to keep him safe; she didn’t want him to find out that it was Severus who had stolen her affection. But the moment he dropped her to the floor and tore off the ribbon tied to her wrist, he knew that he must’ve found what he wanted.

Severus was on his knees now, trying to hold her lifeless body. He realized that due to commotion, his friend Kieburn had found his way to the room, he was most certainly startled as well.

Now the Dark Lord’s attention was on the Narcissa, and Kieburn. He wrapped his hand around Kieburn’s neck, pressing firmly.

“Did… you know anything about this?” he asked. Narcissa shook her head and lowered her chin, looking at the floor.

Kieburn managed to voice: “My loyalty… is – only – to you.”

Out of anger Voldemort yelled at him, striking his old friend with terror.

“See to it that this traitor is disposed of, as well as the bastard.” Kieburn nodded his head.

“Yes my Lord. It will be done.”

“And you.” He said, Narcissa looked up at him.

“I swear my Lord, If I had know I would have turned her into you, or killed her myself.”

“Is that so…?” he asked, his voice was strained, almost as if he didn’t trust what she said.

“She deserved this. I will help get rid of her.” Narcissa said.

“I want him to take care of this.” He paused, “You will come to the castle, with the rest of us, and help take care of the wounded.”

“Yes my Lord.” She said. Severus realized the memory was becoming more hazy, as Narcissa left the room, Adrienne was fading from him. He realized now that the emptiness he felt was the pain of her death. History had repeated itself once again, and it was his fault.

But this time he was doubled over in pain next to the pensive. The love she had shown for her child was for him, and their child. His baby girl, or boy – whatever. They were gone, and he was alone, as he always was.

If only he had taken her, hid her, perhaps they’d be together with… his child.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again to everyone who enjoys this story. I'm really happy you're all sticking around for the ending, I know things don't seem that great right now due to the last few chapters, but just wait for the next two, and then I promise you'll relax and everything will be okay.