Status: new

The Only Hope for Me Is You

They Stared Us Down When We Met in the Emergency Room (Electronic Joker)

It gave me chills as soon as we entered the unfamiliar building, which could only be BL/ind headquarters, but no longer in Battery City. In fact, I had no clue where we were. We could be anywhere right now, anywhere but the place I longed to be right now, in the shack on the couch, wrapped in Mikey’s warm arms, watching crap cartoons on the small television.

I start to think of what he’s going through right now, what he thinks of me for doing this…

“It’s fine guys, she’s with me.” Exploder's voice interrupts my thoughts and I realize why he had just said that. We were standing in the doorway, around ten guns all aimed at me, a line of Dracs in front of us both. The guns lowered as Exploder spoke.

“Korse ordered for us to come here...she is to be welcomed into Better Living Industries.” He turned to smile at me and I faked a smile back, showing my teeth to him as he walked in the opposite direction, speaking as he did so.

“Take her to the spare quarters.” He ordered, before disappearing down another corridor, opposite to the one I was now being led down by three Dracs.

The Dracs stopped in front of me suddenly, and I had to come to a quick halt in order not to crash into their backs. One of them turned to the wall, patting his hand only once and a door slid open, revealing a clean white room with a bed and a side table, nothing more. I looked up at the Drac as he turned to me, and nodded toward the room, gesturing for me to go in.

“Oh right…” I stuttered, before faking yet another smile at its mask and entering the bright room. The door slid closed behind me, but didn’t lock. I stood and thought about how easily I could just drop my plan and get the fuck out of here, back home, back to my friends…back to Mikey.

I slumped down onto the clean beaming bed, my head hanging, eyes staring vacantly at the floor and I go back to my earlier thoughts I was having in the corridor. The situation with them was bad; they either thought that I’m dead, or that I have completely betrayed them. This is so not good. I need some way of telling them my plan. My head jolts up from the floor as I remember the pen and pad I thieved from BL/ind. I scramble for the pen and pad in my pockets, and lay them out on the bed, thinking through momentarily on what to write, then I grab the pen and begin. In Gungan, of course;

“ All is fine guys, I’m alive. You may have found out already that I am with Better Living Industries, but I’m not, it’s an act, it’s all an act. I plan to bring this shit down from the inside, gathering secret information and files to make my brother and this company crumble down. But I’m going to need your help guys, I need you to let me know what I need to get, and I’ll get it to you. I hope you guys are good and I love you all, so much. I’ll be back before you know it. P.S I love you Mikey, don’t forget that.”

There are various tear stains on the paper, from where I was crying while writing it. I wipe at them, clearing some away before folding up the note and tucking the pad and pen back into my pocket.

I get up of the bed, tucking the note up in my sleeve as I pat on the wall with the door, eventually opening it on the fifth pat. I jump slightly and freeze as I see that there are two armed Dracs positioned either side of the door.

“Um…can I help you?” I ask, leaning out of the door.

“For your own safety, Miss.” The one on the left answers, not breaking his position. I nod.

“Just going…for a walk, no need to inform my brother. Be back in five...” I say, quickly escaping the gaze of the Dracs as I power walk down the corridor and out of the building, into the blistering hot daylight. I reach up for my bandana around my neck, patting around my shoulders, before looking down and realizing its disappearance.

“Shit…” I sigh, covering my eyes with my hand. I have no clue where I am; I just walk along the road, getting as far away from the building as possible, I need to get this note to them somehow; a post box, a freaking owl, anything. Then I hear it, the familiar sound of rollerblades against hot sand, and I frantically throw my head around, looking for the person I recognize from this sound, and I see him, rolling ahead of me across the road, arms swaying in the light breeze.

“SHOW PONY!!” I shout, jumping up and down slightly, waving my arms around as he screeches to a halt in the sand, creating a dust cloud before turning to me, opening his visor. I sprint across the deserted road towards him, throwing my arms around him as I reach him, almost knocking him from his balance.

“LAUREN?!” He asks over my shoulder, squeezing me tightly. “HOLY SHIT. NO WAIT.” He shouts, pulling me away from him by the shoulders, “Last thing I heard you hooked up with BL/ind!” he said, looking at me in the eyes, gripping my shoulders tightly. I shook my head frantically.

“It’s an act Show Pony! Trust me, I’m me! It’s me, Electronic Joker, the Killjoy.” He looked at me for a second, consulting in his mind before bringing me back into an embrace.

“Of course it is! God, how could I even think you would do that shit." He said, wiping sweat from his face. "And clever girl, it’s a good idea.” We pulled away from each other, and I smiled at him.

“It’s a tough idea... if I get found out…I’m history.”

“Nah, you’re a strong girl. You can take them.” He smiles back, patting my shoulder lightly. “Do the others know?” he asks, cocking his head to the right a little.

Yeah...about that," I say, rubbing the back of my head and squinting in the sunlight. “I need a favour because I have no idea what they know.” I take out the note from my sleeve and hand it to him, “I need you to take this to them, it explains everything. Will you do that for me Pony?” I ask, pushing up my sleeves.

“Well of course, they need to know about this.” He says, tucking the note away in his pocket.

“Thank you so much!” I throw my arms around him again.

“Damn, I’m glad you’re alive, Joker. You going to be alright?” he asks, taking me by the shoulders again, looking at me. I nod.

“I hope so…I better go, they’ll send out a search party soon if I’m not careful. Thanks again, Show Pony.” I smile at him for the last time.

“I’ll meet you back here with a reply tomorrow, okay?” he asks as we back away from each other.

“Okay!” I shout from across the road, waving at him. He waves back, rollerblading back in the direction of the shack to give my fellow Killjoys the message, leaving a wave of sand in his wake.