Status: Completed

Danger Days: The True Lives of Ritalin Diamond and the Fabulous Killjoys

Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na) Part 1

We sped down the desert road and finally lost the van. We were in serious need of supplies. My gun was almost out of juice and Neon lost his during a previous encounter with a group of Scarecrows.

We rode for a couple more miles when we finally saw an old diner and gas station by the road.
“Hey Neon, let’s stop there and get supplies,” I said.

“Sure Ritalin just be careful,” Neon responded while stopping his truck by the gas pump.

I made sure to have my gun by my side and went out to go inside the diner. I noticed it also had another opening through the side. It was only covered by a piece of wood filled with graffiti. I made my way through there and heard a familiar voice inside.

I could make out his dusty leather vest and his wheelchair but I knew who he was the second I came into the diner. It was the one and only Dr. D sitting by his own makeshift studio talking to all the rebellious killjoys in the zones.
“Alright children, it's time for me to start running and say good bye; for a little while. And I know you're going to miss me. So I'll leave you with this. Remember even if you're dusted you may be gone. But out here in the desert your shadow lives on without you. This is Dr. Death Defying signing off.”


I was shocked that we came to find his lair. It was my mother’s dream to meet Dr. D and his gang of killjoys. He went against Better Living Industries and helped many killjoys find safety with his transmissions. I was so deep in thought that I failed to hear Neon shouting at me from outside.

“Ritalin, you find anything?” he asked as he came into the diner the same way as I did. Dr. D spun around and faced us.

“Well hello there killjoys,” he said. I could see Neon trying to hide his open mouth from shock. But it was Dr. D, our one source of news and the one with whom we came to trust in this messed up world.

Neon cleared his throat.

“Hello Dr. D. It is a pleasure to meet you,” Neon replied while shaking hands with him. “My name is Keelan a.k.a Neon Revolver and this is my girlfriend, Skye a.k.a Ritalin Diamond.”

“Well welcome to my humble lair motor babies,” Dr. D said, “Now you guys need any help tonight? There is a storm brewing and I see you are low on supplies.”

I replied with a smile, “Yes that would be great actually, Dr. D.”

“Well come this way I’ll give you my spare gun, Neon and, Ritalin there’s some batteries for your gun in the cabinets there,” Dr. D pointed behind me.

I was about to open the cabinets when the front door of the diner opened.

“Did you fucking see how I ghosted those Dracs?” said a short, black-haired man as he entered the diner.

“Dude did you see my kick ass ninja moves?!” exclaimed a tall, lanky man.

“Fuck yes, we are all so amazing. Now move! I’m hungry,” exclaimed a tall man sporting an afro.

“Hey Dr. D how’s it going?” said the red-haired man who was the last one to step into the diner.
“Oh hi there,” he said as he spotted me opening up the cabinets.

I waved as Dr. D introduced us to the Fabulous Killjoys, BLI’s most notorious killjoys.

“Hey killjoys, meet Neon Revolver and Ritalin Diamond,” Dr. D said as he pointed to each of us.

The short one of the killjoys came up to me and gave me a massive hug while exclaiming his name was Fun Ghoul. His hug felt amazing and he smelled faintly of cigarettes and sweat which comforted me and I felt that we would definitely become the best of friends.

I shook hands with Jet Star and complimented on his amazing afro. I gave a quick hug to the tall, lanky man who told me he was Kobra Kid. He pointed to the red-haired man and told me that was his brother, Party Poison, who was in the middle of talking to Dr. Death Defying.

“Well Ritalin, you hungry?” Fun Ghoul asked. I nodded my head and went to follow him into the dingy diner. I saw Neon talking excitedly to Kobra. “Probably about comics,” I thought and was glad to see him making friends in this dismal world.

“So Ritalin, tell me about yourself? We might have to spend all night together,” said Ghoul winking as he showed me to a table.

“Whoa there short stuff, I don’t even know your real name,” I replied laughingly as I sat down.

Ghoul told me his name was Frank and that his friends all came back from Zone 3 but had a clap with a group of Dracs on their way here. He went into detail about the number of Dracs he ghosted with the help of Gerard too.

“Oh yeah sorry I guess I didn’t tell you their names. So Jet Star is Ray, Kobra Kid is Mikey and Party Poison is Gerard,” he said with his mouth full of refried beans.

“Geez, Frank you are such a messy eater but definitely adorable,” I said while wiping his mouth with a napkin.

“So Ritalin what’s your story?” Frank asked while grinning.

“Well for one I’m Skye and that’s Keelan,” I said as I was pointing to him. He was laughing about something Mikey had said, “We’ve been traveling for a couple months now from Zone 2. I lost my mother there when it began to get too dangerous and have been with Keelan ever since.”

“I’m sorry to hear that Skye. I’m glad that Keelan, here, was there to help you,” Frank said as he pointed to Keelan as he and Mikey made their way to our table.

Frank shook hands with Keelan and scooted over to let him sit next to him. Mikey came over and sat next to me.

“So guys what was so funny back there?” I asked.

Keelan replied, “Mikey here was telling me how many Dracs he killed and how amazing his ninja moves are.”

“Yeah Skye, you should have seen me. I kicked so many Dracs’ asses,” Mikey exclaimed.

I stared at Mikey and laughed. His combination of tallness and awkward lankiness made me doubtful of his so-called amazing ninja moves. We spent the entire afternoon talking to Frank and Mikey. Ray joined in but left soon to catch up on his sleep. I noticed that Gerard never came to chat so after being fed beans, I went to go find him.

I found him near the back of the diner sitting with Dr. D.

“BL/ind is getting stronger Dr. D I’m not sure how long we can last here. I don’t want to put anyone in danger again and yesterday was a close call,” I heard Gerard say to Dr. D.

“You know where I stand Poison. I will never let BLI take over. I will resist them. I will fight back. Your friends are adults. I know you feel responsible for them but they can take care of themselves,” Dr. D responded.

I felt like I would be intruding so I turned around but was stopped by Poison’s hand on my shoulder.

“Hey come on, sit with me. I feel like such an ass for not welcoming you into our messed up family,” Poison said.

I went to go sit with him and said good bye to Dr. Death Defying as he headed to his studio for his nightly transmissions.

“So what’s your name kid?” Poison asked as he went to get a can of refried beans.
“I’m Skye and that’s my boyfriend Keelan. I am so very thankful for us to have found you guys. I don’t think we could have made it any farther in our truck,” I said, “I am honored to meet you, though, Poison. You have been my hero ever since I first heard of you and your gang’s claps with BLI. My mom would have loved to meet you too.”

I felt my eyes tear up just thinking of her again and the impact she left on my life. I felt Poison come around and give me a hug. He kissed the top of my head and let me cry into his chest for what seemed like an eternity. I finally stopped and look into his hazel eyes.

“Thanks Poison. I guess I needed that,” I said to him still in his arms.

“No sugar, we’re family. Call me Gerard. Out in the field it’s Poison,” Gerard replied. I gave him another hug and truly felt part of his family now.

We, then, heard shouting coming from one of the radios. Static interrupted the transmission but I could hear the sounds of battle coming from it.

“Is there….out there? We’re…..Zone 6. Dracs…..surrounded. Help!”

Poison let me go and immediately went to the radio. The other guys all stood up and went to it as well. Poison tried to get the rest of the transmission but the radio only sent static sounds.

“Shit! Guys let’s go! Wake Ray up, Frank. Mikey grab your things, we’re going to Zone 6.” Gerard directed.

“We’re going too Gerard,” I said, “We have to help them out. I can’t leave them stranded!”

Gerard tried to convince me not to go but I was determined to go. I couldn’t leave my fellow killjoys at the mercy of BLI. I dragged Neon with me and we all headed to the black Trans-Am the Fabulous Killjoys owned.

”We’re coming to help you. Don’t give up!” I thought to myself sitting in between Ghoul and Neon.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you guys think? I didn't want to make this chapeter too long so I will put up the second part tomorrow or probably sometime over the weekend. I'm heading to class now so if you find any mistakes then I am sorry :/

Stay beautiful and keep it ugly killjoys!!