Status: first ever fiction is up! please comment and subscribe! you can post suggestions too! :D

Taking Risks

Back With A Bang

I looked over my shoulder and saw her. She’s here. It’s been so long...way too long. My eyes furrowed as I looked at her. Is this some kind of imagination?

“Shouldn’t you be in Missouri?” I stared at her in shock.

“How about ‘I’ve missed you,’ then a hug?” She grinned.

I shook my head. She was still grinning with her hands on her hips.

“Of course I’m here...Duh. It’s your mom’s death anniversary.”

“You flew all the way here just for that?” I raised my eyebrow.

Her blue eyes lit up and she shook her head. “I’m staying here again, Taylor.”

“You should’ve told me, Victoria.” My arms crossed over my chest.

She beamed. “Then that wouldn’t be a surprise anymore, right?”

“Victoria!” My dad shouted.

She looked at dad with confusion then at me. I just slightly nodded my head and she smiled. “Uncle Paul.”

Dad walked towards her and hugged her. “Are you here to visit your aunt Jennifer?”

She nodded when they broke apart. “And I’m staying here as well, uncle.”

This was the first time I saw dad smile this day. “You should stay with us. We still have the room you used before.”

She looked at me and smiled. “Sure. Thank you, uncle.”

Victoria Cambridge was my childhood friend. My parents and hers are best friends. We’ve been together pretty much since birth. When we were little, we used to hang out at home and do whatever. Our parents always joked about arranging us for a marriage once we’re old enough. That joke started when one of Victoria’s relatives got married. We were sitting on a bench on a nice Sunday afternoon. She was wearing her little white dress, while I was wearing my tux with a black bowtie. After our parents took pictures of us together, she said to her parents happily. “I want to marry Taylor, mommy!”

Victoria and I are complete opposites. I’m slightly naive, and she’s the frank, direct-to-the-point one. I still have no idea why we became so close – no, too close. Maybe it’s because we’re both an only child, even if I have no idea if that made sense. I could definitely admit that I liked her before, and she felt the same way. Unfortunately, they have to leave years ago. Her parents wanted to live somewhere in Missouri and dragged her with them. At first, she was completely against their decision and ran away from home. It was also the night where I found her in our backyard, crying. My parents insisted that she should live with us while she’s on her “rebellious” stage.

After eight years, she’s here. In the back seat of our car, heading home. I sat on the passenger seat in silence, waiting for us to be home. My dad just changed his mood; he started talking to Victoria all of a sudden. I almost forgot, my parents love Victoria to the extent that they treat her like their own – same case I experienced with her family.
We arrived at around eight and I was asked to escort Victoria to her room, as if she never stayed here. I placed her bag on the bed and sighed.

“You know that I’m still waiting for that hug, right?” She appeared from the bathroom.

“Well, I’m not really in the mood to do that rig--” She hugged me tightly. I really don’t want to be rude to her, so I hugged her back.

“I missed you.” She whispered.

“Same here.” I uttered.

“Well, that wasn’t too difficult isn’t it?” She beamed when we broke apart.

“Why are you here again?” I asked.

“I just want to. Is there any problem with that, Mr. Richardson?” She raised her eyebrow.

I stared at her pale blue eyes. I felt intimidated like before. It was like this thing I felt when I was in love with her. I was, right? Andie’s my new love. Oh yeah, she’s with that David guy. She’ll never love me back because of that douche bag.

I smiled and shook my head. “Of course...not. No problem.”

“There’s the smile I’m waiting for!” She burst into laughter.

The weekend passed by so fast. Dad asked me to stay with Victoria the whole day. “Eight years has been too long and you two need to catch up.” That’s what he said. So we went to the mall and watched a movie. And to my surprise, we saw Andie with David. Well, shall I still be surprised? I don’t really think so. When she saw us, she stared blankly at me then at Victoria. That’s when I realized, she never met Victoria.

“Hey.” She said as they walked towards us.

“Hey yourself.” I smiled.

We stood there in silence, which means that she’s waiting for me to introduce Victoria.

“I’m Victoria.” She offered her hand to them. Well, she was faster than I am.

“I’m Andie,” Then she patted her date’s shoulder. “and this is David.”

They shook hands. “It’s so nice to meet you two.” Victoria beamed.

Wow. This is awkward. I cleared my throat and smiled. “Well, I guess we’ll just have to go.”
Victoria looked at me with a confused look on her face. I just looked at her and blinked. She was about to pull me away when her date said. “We can have a double date or something.”

I was about to protest when Victoria said, “That’s a great idea! I missed this place!” She looked at me once more and pleaded. “Please, Taylor?”

Inside, I could scream and say no, but instead I said, “Sure. We’ll go...for you.”

Her expression softened. Wait; did I just say something romantic? Because before, she does that face when I do something she completely appreciates...then she’ll say, “You’re so romantic, Taylor.” But she never said that this time. Good thing she didn’t; instead, she just nodded and grinned.

The rest of the day went oh so smoothly, which was the only thing I never expected. Like before, I really love it when Victoria and I are together. This is when I completely realized that I missed her to death. I missed being like this: all smiles, always laughing and talking.
It was weird that I never even tried nor forced myself not to look over Andie. It was like an ordinary day without her. She felt invisible for some matter. I may have a chance to move on because of Victoria. Not in the way that I’ll use her, but just being with her – hanging out like before – would do a trick.

“It was really great. I had a lot of fun!” Victoria beamed.

“Well, we’re glad that you had fun.” Andie smiled back. “So you just came back here from Missouri?”

“Yeah,” She started. “My parents wanted me to pay a visit here and I guess I’m going to stay here for a little bit longer.”

“What do you mean?” I looked at her.

“Duh! I’m going to attend school here, Taylor!” Victoria grinned at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
A few more chapters before summer ends.