Ready to Go

No Worries

“No.”

“You’re almost in.”

“Get off me!”

“I’m a man of action!!”

It was now debatable on who needed help. But at the moment it seemed to be Hilary with Dustin on her back, he definitely was a man of action. I had opened and closed my mouth repeatedly to tell him to stop and get off the poor girl but it was kind of amusing. My eyes landed on Brendon who seemed to be mimicking my movement. His arms were out in front him as his lips twitched a bit before he finally spoke. “I only want to save one person’s life today, if needed. Dustin, please get off her.”

I took in a sharp breath and covered my face just as Dustin tackled Brendon into the water. I backed out of the water that was just glazing my feet, so hearing Brendon’s, ‘You’re almost in,’ is actually pretty funny. I turned around and headed back to the spot that had our towels and other belongings, I dropped myself on my towel and looked back to the water wondering how Brendon went to fully determined and encouraging to now leaping onto Dustin.

“Stupid bastard,” Hilary said joining me on the towels; her hands were clawing at her hair trying to gather her tangled hair into some kind of bun. “They should hook up.”

“I think Brendon would lose Dustin or purposely leave him somewhere.” I said imagining the thought of that happening; it made a small smile form on my lips.

“You can’t do that, he just reappears. I would know I’ve tried it multiple times.”

I looked at Hilary questionably and began to wondering how many times they have hung out outside of work and it just being them two. I didn’t know why but I was feeling somewhat left out. I wasn’t about to get jealous or feel sorry for myself since I never really liked to hang out until recently. My further thoughts were interrupted when there was a yell. I snapped my head up to see Dustin running at me holding his hand; he placed himself gently on the sand in front of me.

“What’s wrong?” I asked him and looked over his hand.

“Brendon head butted me.”

“Then why are you holding your hand?”

Dustin frowned deeply and huffed some, “I don’t ask you why you hold your body parts.” He turned around and threw himself back against me earning a grunt. “Now you must hold me.”

I shook my head some and smiled; I wrapped my arms around Dustin and started to rub his head. My eyes dazed up to the guy that was casting a shadow over the two of us. “Why did you head but Dustin?” I asked it.

“I accidentally did it.” Brendon informed me, he was smiling.
“It all seems planned to me with that smile.” I told him and nodded.

“I swear I didn’t plan it,”

“You planned it, Brendon!” Dustin pointed at him.

“Then why are you smiling?” I asked.

“I have no fucking idea,” Brendon laughed.

“You’re a weird fucker.” Dustin shook his head. “Kids…” He mumbled.

The recovery of Dustin was pretty quick, he shot up and grabbed Hilary by the hand and rushed off down the beach. Hilary with no time to react was kind of dragged a few feet before she managed to get up and yell at Dustin to leave her alone. I watched them closely before I looked over to Brendon who was now next to me and no longer being my sun blocker. It was getting quiet between us and again it wasn’t that uncomfortable type.

“Can I ask you something?” I finally spoke up, I looked over to Brendon and squinted some having the sun blind me.

“Depends,” He said as his fingers started to mindlessly brush through the sand.

“Why?”

“I hope that’s not your question,” He said and looked over to me with a small smile.

“It’s not,” I said and shook my head some. “Uh,” I started to say but stopped. I didn’t know how to ask well I didn’t know if I wanted to know, the asking part was simple. “Have you ever been in love?” I finally asked him. I kept my eyes on him not seeing him tense up to the question like I was somewhat expecting. I always kind of figured he had been or something. My mind started to drift off no longer interested in his answer if he was going to even answer. I wondered what it was like to be loved again, and to be loved by Brendon. Was it sweet? Would he make it known that he was in love and let everyone around know as well? I didn’t know why I thought that. It annoyed me; of course I didn’t want his love or any love for that matter.

“What?” I asked thinking I heard him speak; I looked over to him quickly.

“I didn’t say anything; I’m still wondering how to answer you.” He nodded a bit as his eyes darted around the sand as if it was telling him to spill or not. I waited patiently as he remained quiet and finally looked over to me, his bare shoulders shrugged up making me see spots of sand on his skin. I reached over and brushed it off lightly as he raised an eyebrow. “Thanks,” He said once realizing what I was doing. “Um, I don’t know if I ever been in love, I think I was close once but I doubt it. I guess I’m kind of scared to let myself go too, to be honest.” He said with a light chuckle.

I kept my eyes on him and nodded a little, I didn’t know why he had to confuse me so much. “So today was a bust,” I said changing the subject. “I only had a few attempts and both stopping at my feet.”

“Well it’s just your first day, Ivy. You can’t really expect yourself to just jump right on in.”

“But I do!” I stated and threw myself in the air. “It’s been weeks and its killing me that I can’t go out there like normal. I hate feeling weak.”

“You’re not weak; you’re just holding yourself back, its normal.” Brendon said as he placed himself in front of me blocking the view of the water somewhat.

“I don’t want to do that, why can’t you just throw me in the water?”

Brendon stared at me with his eyebrows raised, “Do you remember that one time I forced you out there and then I ended up taking you back my place?”

“Dude that was literally couple days ago,” I stared at him and rolled my eyes.

“Well you know how I carried out of here on my shoulder? If I carried out to the water you’ll probably act the same way but it wouldn’t go as good for me, people might think I’m going to drown you.”

I stared at him with a annoyed face, I opened my mouth to protest but I knew well that I would act like he was going to drown me and he probably get banned or something. “It just sucks, that’s all.” I mumbled and played with my fingers.

“I know.” He said and brought me into his arms, my cheek being pressed up to his bare chest.

“What are you doing?” I asked slowly and looked up seeing just his ear.

“I’m hugging you, Ivy. You need hugs.” Brendon said and gave me a squeeze. “I can feel the sadness, but its okay we’re going to get you through this.”

“Can you stop being weird?” I said and got myself away from him.

“You can’t ignore my hugs forever, they’re coming and you can’t stop them.” He said with a crooked smile.

God, I hate his face.

I rolled my eyes once again and looked off to the side; I was honestly fighting the smile that was waiting to creep on my face. I didn’t mind smiling obviously, I just didn’t like that he could make me smile by being a dork and just him.

“What reminds you of me?” I heard him ask.

“Shit,” I answered. I looked back at him seeing him stare back with his big brown hues, he didn’t look too pleased with my answer but I saw him starting to smile and I knew he couldn’t be mad.

“No, I’m serious. You got to ask me something.”

“I don’t know, Brendon.” I said and shrugged up my shoulders, “I guess the merry go round,”
“Why?”

“Because that’s where I first saw you actually kind of fed up.” I answered and looked over his face seeing a small frown but it quickly faded.

“I wasn’t fed up, I was just… Annoyed because I usually could get someone to do what I want but you. You’re just stubborn.” Brendon said and looked at me.

“And…”

“And you can’t always have your guard up, Ivy. You can’t block out every guy that tries to get close and wants to care for you. Or just simply wants to get to know you, you can find that one guy again and fall in love. Everyone at some point wants to.”

“Do you?” I asked him. Brendon stared at me for a while before breaking the eye contact and turned to sit next to me. His knees bent and arms were rest along his knee caps as he held onto his other wrist with his hand, he let out a heavy sigh and I wasn’t sure if I hit a nerve or he was just being nice and dropping the conversation of love all together. It had grew quiet and this time I couldn’t help but feel that it was tense between us, maybe I have said something to make him tense.

I heard someone call my name; my head look over to see Hilary rushing over with a scared and worried expression. I quickly brought myself to my feet just as she got to me, she was pointing the way she came repeatedly and I finally noticed she was crying. “Oh god, what did Dustin do you?” I asked.

“No…. No…” She said gasped lightly. “His head, he hit his fucking head. I told him not to but he fucking didn’t listen to me.” She finally spoke and grabbed onto my arms tightly. I didn’t really have time to say anything because she was being called.

I ran after Hilary because I needed to see this, I knew Dustin had his moments but he wouldn’t hurt himself. I caught up to her out of breath and saw him being surrounded by a few life guards and the beach patrol. The mention of the word hospital was thrown around a lot and it was starting to freak me out. I could feel my heartbeat increase and my palms start to sweat and it didn’t matter how hard I try to get to Dustin’s side they only would push me back. I felt arms around my body and I didn’t care whose they were I still tried to get free.

The sirens were getting louder and closer, I could see Hilary holding onto Dustin’s hand with my blurry vision. I watched as they took him away and Hilary too and I wanted to go with, I needed to go with. What if something happens during the ride? I wouldn’t be able to know. I started to fight more with the arms around me.

“Ivy, stop!” I heard Brendon yell finally.

“No, I got to go. I have to.” I said in a panicked tone. “Let go, let me fucking go, Brendon!” I yelled and started to push away from his hold again.

“I’ll take you!” He yelled at me and started to drag me back to our spot.

I could feel the tears slip down my cheeks; I swallowed hard and tried to get the shirt and shorts on. “What If something bad happens?” I asked in a shaky tone and quickly got my shoes on.

“Nothing bad will happen, I promise.” Brendon said gathered the rest of everything.

“You don’t know that! So don’t tell me that!” I yelled at him and wiped off my cheeks.

“Ivy,” He said and grabbed my upper tightly. “Stop, I know you’re scared and I know you’re worried but you have to stop thinking of the worse. Okay?” He asked and dropped the stuff he was holding and brought me into his arms. I didn’t push away this time I quickly wrapped my arms around his waist and buried his face into his chest trying not to cry or even think badly but it was hard. I stayed in his arms for what seemed like forever, he didn’t push me away or he didn’t make it seem like he was tired of holding me. He simply brought me closer to him and could feel his fingers brushing along my tangled beach hair.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled into his shirt and sniffed.

“For what?”

“I don’t know,”

“It’s going to be fine, Ivy.” He whispered lightly into my ear.

I just didn’t like the fact that I could lose someone else in my life and what if Brendon was next or Hilary? I had my reasons for my guard up and that seemed like a pretty damn good one to me right now.
♠ ♠ ♠
i kind of feel like this one was a pressured update simply because i didnt want to loose interest in it, and it doesnt flow so well. but its just a way to get to my ideas for further updates. so i hope you enjoyed this!