Trust

2/8/45

Dear Journal,
The underground is thriving. We are beginning to win over a few of the 'artificials' but it's harder. The vitamins work better on them and there life is so strict that they practically have to starve themselves to escape the effects of compound 345. With the help of Anna (A-32), my parents have figured out how the name codes work. They are the numbers of the first two genes that were modified.

Mom says this is great progress but I'm worried the schools will notice when their perfect Residents in training start showing real emotion. I hate them. They're so fake.Mom says we should pity them but mom says a lot of things.

She doesn't want me to keep a journal. It's too 'dangerous'. I don't really care. I'm just glad I'm not brainwashed like them.

That Anna girl gave me the oddest look when mom introduced us, like I was some alien creature. Then she said the weirdest thing.

"What is your opinion on the new hit?" Her face was completely serious. What the hell is a hit?
"Uh..it's okay" I tried to be polite but she could tell I didn't know. She handed her iListen chip to me and i tentatively placed it below my ear. I wriggled uncomfortably as I sensed the adhesive kicking in.
" This is the perfect life, I can't lie-I-I!" a computer generated singer chanted over equally fake background noise. I could tell because of how perfect it was. Every chord crystal clear. That's right, 'Hits' is what they call music above ground...

"I Don't uh.."
"LOLA.. I need your help"

I was so glad my mom interrupted. In case you were wondering my mom left my dad after she found out about the 'vitamins' in food and he refused to change. We've been living in an old underground bunker with the rest of us real people since i was five. The official report was that we died in a tragic accident.
I'm Lola now. I used to be Loretta but I hate that name and now I can choose.
I'm worried about Marcus, my friend, he's been so depressed. He keeps playing this old c.d. we repaired recently and it's not like the other ones. I like it, nothings synthesized but it's...sad...over emotional. We can't find out the artist name or song titles but I'm pretty sure it would be something depressing..
Marcus thinks we aren't making any progress, that we should move up ground and start a revolution. He also keeps saying that we should do away with the artificials. I hate them but...kill them?
♠ ♠ ♠
the future of music= computer generated hits based on the general populations interests...ugh

These two characters meat but don't really come together until the sequel I have planned.

Things are out of correct paragraph form because it's a journal. Not because I'm a bad writer...I'm not great but I'm not that bad...