Status: IN PROGRESS

The Hunt Begins

A little indirection

Chapter 23:

“Are you sure it’s part of our hunt?” I asked hoping they overlooked something or maybe were just being assholes because Dean and I had fun last night while they were stuck on babysitting duty.

“I didn’t start hunting yesterday.” Bobby answered sounding annoyed that I would question his judgment. “The boy was in the middle of the street, drowned, with marks around his wrists.”

I nodded, “Umm…I’m going to do some research at the library and you guys can deal with the people. I’ll even babysit Bekka if you want.” I stepped right in taking charge of the situation. I was in a good mood and didn’t really want to fight with anyone.

“Are you volunteering to do research? Are you not feeling well or something?” Sam asked being a smartass.

“And babysitting duty?” Bekka looked at me as if I had grown three heads or something. “Should we trust her with me? Maybe she’s trying to separate me from you guys so that she can kill me.”

“I will not kill you.” I snapped because I was annoyed at the fact that they were being difficult. Why did they have to question my motives? “I’m trying to be helpful and nice.”

“I think it’s a good idea.” Dean chimed in from beside me.

“You’re only agreeing with her because she slept with you last night.” Bekka snapped. “Your lie isn’t the one that’s on the line.”

“Oh for god sakes Bekka, we’ll be in a public place. There’s no way that I’m dumb enough to kill you there.”

“Pfft…that’s debatable.” Bekka retorted.

I just ignored her and continued on. “If it makes you feel better we can even have the guys drop us off and pick us up.” I responded trying to be reasonable and trying to keep my cool.

She eyed me, trying to see if I was telling the truth. “Fine.”

***
The library was small but at least all its newspapers were recorded on a computer. It would be damn near impossible to find any information if they didn’t have it that way.

“So what are we doing here?” Bekka asked from beside me. She was spinning slowly on one of the computers. It was so childlike that I just had to roll my eyes.

“We’re…I mean I’m looking through the obits and articles for anyone who had died in the town by drowning. By looking at the vics, it’s probably a male child who’s ghost is doing the killings.” I answered without taking my eyes off the screen.

“I don’t think it’s just a male child.” Bekka chimed in and I looked at her. She was just swiveling back and forth in the chair now.

I kicked the lock on the chair, making her stop so she was looking at me. “What do you mean?”

“Well after you and Dean went back to the motel I spotted a couple of ghosts. One was of course a little boy and the other was a woman…most likely his mother. The woman didn’t have any eyes, ears and didn’t seem to have a tongue.” She answered looking slightly pissed. I didn’t know whether it was the fact that I locked her seat or at the statement ‘after you and Dean went to the motel’.

“And why am I just hearing about this now?” I glared at her. I could have been that much closer to finishing this with that information.

“Uh, because you and Dean were too busy making goo-goo eyes at each other so you two never heard the story.” She answered. “I mean quite frankly it’s disgusting how you guys are almost mounting each other every time you come in reaching distance of each other.” She covered her mouth like she didn’t realize what she was saying or she thought that she definitely crossed the line and didn’t mean to.

“You’re the one to talk. First you kissing Sam’s ass and then you’re making out with Dean. At least I’m only hung up on one guy.” I spat.

I kicked her chair so she was farther away from me. “Get away from me before I throttle you.” She got up and left and I turned back to the computer.

It didn’t take long after that before I got some leads. It helped to have more detailed information. I looked for Bekka and found her at the furthest point in the library from me. “Is this the women and little boy?” I asked shoving a printed article at her.

She looked at it and nodded, “Yeah that’s them.”

“Good.” I said and took my phone out of my pocket and dialed Dean’s number.

“Hey, is Bekka still alive? Do you need help burying the body?” Dean asked joking. I heard something hit Dean and a small ‘ow’.

“No, she’s still alive. Damn lucky to be alive.” I answered. “Any ways the real reason I called you is that I found some important information about our case.”

“We’re just finishing up here too. We’ll be there in about ten minutes.”

I nodded even though I knew he couldn’t see it. “Okay, see you guys then.” I said and then closed my phone.

“We should probably go outside and wait the guys are going to be here soon.” I said to Bekka and then started walking away.

I was sitting on a bench by the time that she joined me. I was surprised that she would come that near me. “Um…so what’s the information you figured out?”

“That I’m probably going to have to do a summoning ritual to get some of the facts straight. Or hope to God that the guys got somewhere in the investigation.” I answered looking down at the papers. “Because according to the papers the woman drowned her son so the town’s people hung her. But that doesn’t give an explanation as to why her eyes, ears and mouth were missing. There’s no mention of any torture or even a trial that happened. Or even a place where they are buried.

“From what it sounds like the town’s people drowned her son because apparently the boy didn’t have a father listed in the obits. I would bet a hundred bucks that there isn’t a father listed on the birth certificate either. Then the mother might have pulled some pscyho shit because there was other drowning’s not long after her sons and so they killed her also. As for the eyes, ears and tongue, it sounds like some spell work to me or just some sick ass dick did it.”

Bekka nodded, “This case is just messed up if you ask me.”

We sat there in silence for a small amount of time, until Bekka sighed and started talking again. “I’m sorry about what I said earlier it’s not my business to say things like that. It just sort of came out.”

“I think I liked the silence better.” I answered not even looking at her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well sorry for the long wait but here it is. I hope you like it ^_^
Alisha's Outfit