Love Is Such a Crazy Thing

Surprises

I sat in the penthouse that I shared with my husband of 5 years reading through a manuscript before I had to go to work in the morning. At the age of 28, I was one of the top Executive Editors of Holden Publishing and married to the Executive Vice President of one of the largest financial firms in New York, Braxton Finances. The only problem that I have is I never see my husband. Don’t get me wrong I love Derek but I doubt that our marriage would last long. I heard the front door open and close and I looked up from my cozy position to see Derek walk in.

“Hey.” I said while thumbing my huge rock of an engagement ring that was nestled next to my wedding band.

“Hey.” He walked over and kissed my cheek.

“How was work?” I asked as he walked into the kitchen.

“Productive and boring. The usual.” I heard him moving things around in the refrigerator.

“Dinner is in the oven.” I went back to reading. I finally got far enough to decide that it was good. I closed the manuscript and grabbed a green binder clip and clipped the papers together. I got a rubber band and used that to bind the papers together. I stood up and stretched feeling my back crack from sitting in the same position for too long. I walked into the kitchen and saw Derek sitting at the island eating the dinner that I prepared. I walked over and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“I’m going to bed.” I said. “Long day tomorrow.”

“Okay, goodnight.” He turned and gave me a kiss on the lips.

“Goodnight.” I said as I walked to the foyer and grabbed his jacket to hang up but a strange scent caught my nose. It was different perfume than I what I wore. I took another whiff which confirmed my suspicions. My husband was most likely having an affair. I hung up the jacket and walked down the hallway to our bedroom. After taking off my yoga pants I got into bed and laid down wondering if this marriage was even worth it.

***

I was up at 7 getting a quick run in before I went to work. It always helped me clear my mind which had a lot of thoughts running through it. I had my I-Pod blaring Don Omar’s “Danza Kudoro” in my ears. I love all types of music especially when it suited my mood or would boost it. I decided it was time to head back and get ready since today we were having an early morning hour long meeting to welcome the newest senior editor today. I took the shortcut home and knowing that Derek already left which meant I was going to have a peaceful morning. I just couldn’t deal with him right now. I got back to the building to see his car gone and was relieved. I took a quick shower and prepared for today.

An hour later,

I was parking my car and getting my briefcase. Usually I would walk but I didn’t want to be late. I decided to call a marriage counselor for my marriage hell if we tried to make an effort to save our marriage maybe it would work. I walked to the lobby and showed my I.D. After I was let through I nearly ran to the elevator.

Once I walked into the office I headed straight for my office to put my things down. As I walked back out of my office Lynn, my receptionist was doing my schedule.

“Lynn, I will be in a meeting for most of the morning so can you please take my messages?” I asked.

“Okay Mrs. Wright, by the way your husband called.” She said.

“Okay thanks.” I adjusted dress and walked to the conference room where most of my colleagues were already seated. I walked to my seat as the meeting began as usual.

An hour later I was bored half-to-death when I saw a silhouette at the door.

“I believe that would be our newest addition to the team.” Annalese said as she walked to the door. She opened it just as I received a text. I opened it and saw Derek’s name listed above the message.

I want a divorce. was the message and I felt like I was punched in the stomach.

“I would like to introduce you to the newest senior editor Daniel Franklin.” That name caused me to snap my head up with a shocked look on my face. He looked up at me with an equally shocked look.

“Um, excuse me.” I said as I got up and walked out the conference room and headed straight to my office. Right there I broke down in tears while dialing up Asia, my baby sister.

“Hello?” She said.

“Asia, can you please meet me at my office?”

“Nikki, what’s wrong?” She asked.

“Derek just sent me a text saying that he wants a divorce.” I sniffled.

“A text? That stupid fucking douchebag! I’ll be there in 20 minutes.” She said.

“Okay thanks.” I said.

“What are sisters for?” Asia said before hanging up. I sat there wondering what the hell Daniel was doing here. Daniel and I were once engaged. I met him while I was living in Miami and in college. He was the guy that I met while doing my internship and he was an up and coming editor there. I instantly fell for him and we stayed together until I was offered a job that required me to move to New York. At first he wanted to move just to be here with me but then he backed out and told me to move on and forget him. It took a long time for me to get over him but I did when I met Derek. We rushed into the marriage and now I wasn’t happy. A knock broke me away from my thoughts.

“Entrada!” I yelled out for Asia. The door opened and Daniel walked in. I rolled my eyes and turned my seat to face the window.

“Nikki, can we talk?” He asked.

“Daniel, it’s not a good time right now.” I said.

“It’s Daniel now?” He asked.

“The day you dumped me you became Daniel again now can you please leave.”

“Are you crying because of me?” He asked.

“No. I’m experiencing a lot in my personal life.” I said.

“Nikki, are you okay?” He asked.

“No, now please leave.” I said.

“Fine.” He walked out just as Asia walked in.

“Hey sis, are you okay?” She closed the door behind her.

“No, I know that things between Derek and I weren’t the same but I never expected that he wanted a divorce. What am I going to do?” I asked.

“You are way stronger than you give yourself credit for. You will make it.” She moved and hugged me. “And you know that I’m here for you and as well as Mike okay?” I wiped my eyes.

I nodded and felt more tears falling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nikki