Love Is Such a Crazy Thing

Confrontation.

It was the end of the day and I was dreading the thought of going home to be faced with Derek...alone...with kitchen knives in close quarters. I decided to go apologize to Daniel first. I packed up my things and got ready to do leave. I walked to his office to see him looking through his I-Pad 2. I knocked lightly and he looked up. He motioned me in and I walked in looking down at the carpet.

"Hey Nikki, what's up?" He asked. I finally looked up.

"Hey, I just wanted to come and apologize. I'm having a lot of personal problems at home and I never wanted to take that out on you when you don't deserve it. I'm sorry." I said.

"Want to talk about it?" He put down is I-Pad and looked at me.

"No, it wouldn't be appropriate to talk about this at work especially when I don't even know what to make of it." I said.

"Well if you need to talk about it I'm here." He said.

"Thank you." I said.

"No problem." He smiled that gorgeous heartwarming smile.

See you Monday." I said.

"Okay." He nodded. "Bye." I turned sharply on my heels and walked out.

I left the office which at this time was actually pretty early for me to leave. Most likely Derek was at home. I walked to my car and opened the door getting in. I cranked it up and let it sit for a few minutes. Melanie Fiona played as she sang about 'Somebody Come Get Me' and for once I was definitely feeling what she was feeling. I saw a Range Rover pull up just as Daniel walked out of the building towards it. He got in and gave the driver which was this gorgeous woman a kiss before she pulled off. I finally decided to go home and face the music.

***

At the penthouse, I opened the door and walked in. I saw Derek pouring himself a drink at the bar.

"What are you still doing here? With that cowardly text I would've figured you would have tucked your tail in between your legs and ran." I said.

"Why run when this is my house?" He asked.

"Correction when we married my name was on the lease. I'm taking a shower and when I get out I want you gone. You can pick up your shit tomorrow." I said as I headed for the steps. I couldn't even stand being in the same room with him.

"I'm sorry Nikki, it's not like I didn't want us to work. We just didn't. I still love you." He said.

"Bullshit and I know you've been cheating." I left it at that and walked upstairs. I went into the bedroom and put m things on the bed. I took off my dress leaving myself in my lingerie and heels. I took my shoes off chucking them in the closet. I heard Derek behind me. I continued to ignore him as I walked into the bathroom and ran my shower. When I turned around Derek was right there.

"Get out of my face. I don't want anything to do with you anymore."

"Baby, do you really think this would work honestly?" He asked.

"You didn't even want to try and make it work. I would have loved to make this work. I almost booked us an appointment with a marriage counselor but you broke the news to me in the worse way, so you can go to hell. Get your shit and leave." I walked back to m shower and finished disrobing before getting in.

By the time I got out of the shower he was gone. After he got his things tomorrow, I was changing the locks.

***

The next day was a Saturday so I was off and relieved. I needed to just relax and be with my family for the day and I decided to go over to my Mom's house. I haven't seen her in the past couple of weeks due to my work schedule and being around Derek all the damn time. I pulled up to the house and saw Derek's car in the yard. That pissed me off worse than I already was. When Asia and I made a lot more money we bought our mother a beautiful home in the suburbs since she raised us alone when our father abandoned the family and made another one with his mistress. She gave up her dreams for us and worked 3 jobs to raise us and send us off to college. When we moved out she still helped us out everyone once in a while when we really needed it. Now we pay for every bill and the house she is living in because it's the least we could do since she was an amazing mother.

I grabbed my purse and got out of the car to see her in her garden while Derek helped her.

"Nikki." She turned around to see me and smiled.

"Hey mama." I walked over and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"What a lovely surprise." She smiled.

"Yeah, I wanted to see my mom. How are you?" I ignored Derek as he looked uncomfortable.

"Doing good. Finally got my roses coming in." She said while looking at the roses.

"They are so beautiful." I smiled.

"Patricia. I'm going to go." He prepared to leave but my mom stopped him.

"You two must think I'm stupid. What's going on?"

"Ask your son-in-law." I said.

"What is she talking about?" My mom asked.

"You really want to do this now?" Derek asked me.

"Yep, best she finds out from us rather than others." I said.

"Find out what?" She asked.

"I've asked for a divorce." He said.

"What? Why?" She asked.

"Because we just aren't happy." He said.

"And he's cheating but that's besides the point. I can't be in loveless marriage so it's whatever." I said crossing my arms.

"Derek is that true?" She asked.

"She is assuming that I cheated and it's not true." He tried to defend himself.

"Yeah right, well Derek I want to spend time with my mother." I rolled my eyes.

"Okay." He turned to my mother and gave her a hug. She looked at me with this look.

"Okay bye." My mom walked over to me as Derek slipped on his shades and walked over to his car.

"Do you think that I maybe assuming that he cheated?" I asked.

"No Nikki, if you feel it in your heart he is."

"Thank you mommy." I said.

"You are my daughter and I didn't raise any fools. I raised two beautiful, thoughtful, intelligent and amazing women and I love you and Asia." She said.

I smiled and hugged her just for telling me that.

"I love you too mommy." I smiled.

"And since he decided that he wants a divorce, I hope you take him for everything he owns."

"I thought you liked Derek?" I asked.

"Maybe but I love you. Now come on and let's gossip." She said taking my hand and leading me into the house.