It Started With A Dare

Hobo Beards

Another week away from Gerard and even though our meeting had boosted my spirits in the hope that there was a chance that we would be together again, I was still miserable. Although I tried not to take it out on Bob any further, it really wasn’t his fault, he’s only trying to what he believes is best for me, trying to be the parental figure that I lack so much.

Right now I’m just trying to rebuild our relationship, focusing on being a good sister to him, he deserves it. I’m not gonna forget about Gerard but I’m not going to blame Bob for it any longer.

We were currently curled up together on the sofa in our living room, watching Saturday morning cartoons which consisted of some old school Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes. It wasn’t exactly a tradition of ours, just something we do either on special occasions or when Bob hasn’t spent the previous Friday night partying.

With my knees tucked up under my chin, resting against Bob’s side, for a few brief minutes, everything seemed okay. That didn’t really last long. The sound of a key jiggling in the lock of the front door distracted me from the TV, just in time to see it swing open and my father appear in the doorway.

“Hey you two, I’m home!” He called, dragging in a suitcase and shutting the door behind him. Bob and I arose to our feet in shock, staring incredulously at our dad.

“Cassandra, I missed you a lot.” He said, walking over to me and enveloping me in a hug, I didn’t hug him back, just let my arms hand limp by my sides. But he seemed oblivious to my reluctance as he pulled away from me to pat Bob’s shoulder affectionately. “You too, Robert.” Bob simply shrugged away from his hand, keeping his face emotionless.

“So, how’ve you guys been?” He questioned, smiling. His easy smile, the calmness of his words, it all enraged me and finally made something click inside me, pushing me over the edge.

“If you were here half the time then you’d know.” I snapped snidely. Dad looked a bit taken back by my outburst, fixing an imposing glare onto me.

“Do not talking to me like that, you’re acting like a spoilt brat.”

“Hey! You have no right talking to her like that. I’ve been a better father to her that you have,” “So tell me, dad, where’ve you been this time?”

“Business trip.” Robotically

“Like fuck you were.”

“Well I’m here now, aren’t I?”

“Too little too late, we don’t want you here now. C’mon, Cassie, we’re going out, and we’re not coming back until you go back to where you came from.” Bob announced, taking my hand and dragging me into the hall, grabbing his keys off the table and slamming the door on the way out. I followed him into his car and stared at him curiously as we drove down the street.

“Erm, Bob? Where are we going?” I asked him.

His angry expression softened into a smile as he glanced away from the road, eyes on me “You fancy some ice cream?”

“Depends.” I trailed off, trying to hide my own smile.

“On what?”

“Baskin Robins or Dairy Queen?” I questioned seriously, or as seriously as I could without bursting out laughing.

“Baskin Robins, obviously.” He answered, as if it were the most evident thing in the world.

“And will there be sprinkles involved?” I inquired, raising an eyebrow.

He grinned “You bet.” I returned his grin, letting him focus back on the road in front of him as I shifted my gaze to the window, watching as the world flew by outside.

x~x~x~x~x


“You seem happier.”

At these words, my gaze shifted down to the ice cream cone clutched between my fingers, my legs dangling from the hood of Bob’s car. We’d driven out to the park, the one our mom took us when we were kids, according to Bob. I, of course, couldn’t remember those times, being only three, but just the thought that we’d had some happy times here with her made it that much more special.

Having a week with Bob and this time now was fun but it wasn’t what was making me that happy. I was still holding onto the thought that I could see Gerard again soon, the memory of him outside my window that night, those were the things making me happy. I didn’t want to tell Bob this but I couldn’t exactly lie to him either, not again, not anymore.

“Gerard’s not a bad guy, y’know.” I murmured, afraid of his reaction, whether it be a fit of rage or painful silence.

He sighed, of course he’d sigh “I know he’s not, but that doesn’t mean that he won’t do bad thing.” Bob explained, yet I couldn’t see the logic behind it. Gerard was a genuinely decent guy, more so than any I’ve ever known, and I know he wouldn’t hurt a fly if the situation didn’t call for it. Why couldn’t Bob see that?

“You could at least give him a chance.” And there it was; the painful silence I received from Bob after that suggestion. It stayed like that, silent, for minutes. I watched as Bob stared into space, occasionally opening his mouth, as if to say something, but would then close it once again.

“D’you think I’d look good with a beard?” Bob asked, changing the subject like I suspected he might. I wasn’t going to fight about this, so I just rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“I think you’d look like a hobo.” I giggled, and he ended up laughing too once he saw the image in his head.

There wasn’t a lot of talking after that, we simply sat there and ate our ice creams together. By the time we’d finished and headed home, dad’s car was no longer in the driveway, and I was neither shocked nor sad about it if I’m honest with you.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so likey or no likey?
idk
anyways, the next chapter should be much better and hopefully a bit longer, so look forward to that :)

i was gonna update earlier this week but i couldn't concentrate on writing cus i had 2 teeth pulled out. i hate the dentist. so yeah, my face hurts, a lot, and i'm getting braces next month -.- my life sucks

It's also my 16th birthday in about a week, don't know how i feel about that. it means i'm legally allowed to have sex (woo!) even though half the girls at my school are major slags and lost it when they were like 10 O.o ha it was so funny when i was talking about this with my friend tom, he was all like 'you can have sex!' and i just said 'i wasn't aware that i needed your permission but thanks' haha anyways ...

16! Woo! i can do a whole bunch of shit! and my family expects me to have a big party or something for my 'sweet sixteen' but that's not gonna happen because i'm socially awkward and can count the amount of friends i have on my hands :D I'll probly go bowling, yeah bowling :)

phew! that was a long authors note! please comment, tell me if you liked it or hated, ooh and also tell me what you did for your 16th or what you will do, just to make me feel bad because your ideas will totally rule :D

xox