Sequel: Into The Light

Left In The Dark

Chapter 27

“You act like you’ve never seen a sunset before.” I smiled. “I’ve seen them, but never appreciated them.” He shrugged.

We stayed silent for a bit longer. A normal girl would feel scared or in danger around Aaron, but not me. I feel, actually, safer.

I guess it’s because we know each other. Well, kind of anyway. We’ve only met days ago and we already know major secrets about each other.

He seemed engrossed in the sunset so I studied his face.

It didn’t look like he could be dangerous at all. He looked safe. Safe enough anyway.

He turned to me, startling me. “Why were you staring?” He asked, confused.

I half-grinned. It didn’t quiet reach my eyes but it was there. “It’s weird.” I shrugged.

“I feel safe around you.”

“You shouldn’t. You saw how I treated Ava.” I cut him off. “It was self defense.”

“It wasn’t I who was getting hurt.” He pointed out. “You were protecting me. It’s defense either way.” I shrugged.

“True.” He said quietly. “I don’t see why you hang out with your sister during school.” He stated, changing the subject.

“It’s just the way it is.” “It’s not how it should be.” He said as I shrug.

He looked at me thoughtfully for a second. “Would you talk to me in school if there were no groups?” He asked, hesitantly.

I looked up into his green eyes. “Off course I would.” I smiled a little. The sky slowly filled up with stars.

I could hear Ava complaining to her boyfriend about her terrible aches and pains. I knew I should feel sympathy but I didn’t She did start it.

“I don’t want to go back in there.” I stated. It was true. Whose side was I on anyway? I hugged my knees to my chest to try and keep out the cold breeze.

I stared up at the night sky and realized that I didn’t even want to see Ava.

It was too much.