Sequel: Into The Light

Left In The Dark

Chapter 38.

"So nights we may go to sleep hungry. Sometimes we may run into people who'd do anything to hurt us. We could be caught in the worst of weather and since you'd be with me we can't stay too long in the same place," I told her looking deep in her eyes.

"I know that ,Aaron, but I want to run away and as long as you're with me....it doesn't matter," she whispered.

"Okay then," I said and started packing.

I threw my book bag on my bed and grabbed some Advil, Tylenol, the throat spray, some peroxide, and a first aid kit. Then I gathered some dried foods from the cabinet and some bottled water. I put them in a small pot that'd fit in the bottom of my book bag with a box of matches. I knew how to do this without these things. I could live on grass and weeds. It was her all these comforts were for. Except the Advil and throat spray. I put everything on the bed and looked at her.

"I'd say pack ,but you don't have anything," I said quietly, fitting everything neatly in my book bag.

"So, we're really doing this?" she asked looking at me.

"Unless you changed your mind," I told her.

"No!" she said kind of loud ,but I hushed her and she repeated herself quieter.

I grabbed two blankets and put them in a space bag which I rolled up and put in as well. She watched me and I sensed she was nervous. I was nervous for her. I didn't know what I'd do if it were my fault she got hurt. I'd shoot myself probably. That's when I remember the gun inside my pillow. When I pulled it out she looked shocked.

"What's that for?" she said trying to be quiet ,but was slightly above a whisper.

"We're going out in the dangerous world. We'll need a gun," I said quietly.

"Why was it in your pillow?" she squeaked and I almost laughed at her voice.

"I was going to shoot myself after my first day here," I whispered and closed my eyes as I put a box of shells in my bag with it," I almost did ,but for some reason I thought of your face and it stopped me."

She looked very much shocked when I said that ,but I tried to ignore it. I shouldn't have admitted it ,but I did. I slung my bag over my shoulder after I put a black shirt on under a gray jacket and threw a jacket at her. I opened my window as a wind filled my room. The rain was gone and the sky was clear. Perfect night to run away under a full moon. It was late winter and close to spring so it wouldn't be too rough for too long. I looked at her after closing the window.

"It's time to go. The weather is right," I said as she gave me a funny look," I'm serious, let's go."

"Okay," she said following me down the stairs.

My only regret is I was sick and I knew it. I was sick and she was in my care ,but if she wanted to run it was better she ran with me and not some other lunatic. At least I know that if I'm with her she has a chance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Him almost shooting himself was something I forgot to put in ,but it goes well here. Kind of a surprise part.