Sequel: Into The Light

Left In The Dark

Chapter 74.

I lead her through the crowds as I looked to the sky. It's getting brighter and brighter. More people would be out soon, More faces that have seen the missing poster. I pulled her through the busy streets and into the darker parts of town. I found an empty alley and found myself staring at the sky. It was being swallowed by smoke and the helicopters were everywhere. I found myself wondering why they wanted us back. Then I pushed the questions away and made Willow a safe place to rest inside a wooden crate. We could take a breather here. That came as a relief to me because the pain in my back was bone splitting. That burn was catching up with me. I didn't have time to complain about discomfort.

I closed my eyes and felt Willow's eyes on me. I threw my head my back and just shouted Why at the gods. I felt like I was in one big cage. I hit the wall hard and sat against the wall. Why did I hurt this way? It wasn't physical. It was unbearable. Willow slid down to my side and held me tight. I wrapped my arms around her tight. I wasn't crying. I was just holding her tight. When an agent walked up to us he pressed a gun to my head and I pointed one at his.

"Walk away," I whispered to him as he stared into my eyes.

He seemed to be gripped by fear as he backed away and then turned running. I didn't have the will to run. I just felt so tired and then it hit me. I was off the drugs that kept me stable. I was back to my mess of a self ,but so much weaker now. After being constantly drugged for a year and a half I was shot. No immune system, depressed, my nerves had late reactions in my wings, and the rest of me was hypersensitive. I was fried.