Playing With Fire

Chapter 23

If it weren’t for the fact that Zhao was waiting on one of them, the sight of the many Fire Nation ships docked at the bustling port would have been a relief for Aria. Upon revealing herself, the Fire Nation soldiers had insisted on departing right away, marching through the night and well into the morning. Every few seconds Aria had to slap at her face and neck, fending off the whining attacks of blood sucking bugs. One man’s rasping breaths were an unwelcome and irritating disturbance, seemingly impossible to ignore. Slowing their progress immensely, the lead man continuously craned around, fussily checking on Aria’s state. She couldn’t decide who was more annoying; the mouth breather or the do-gooder. By the time they had emerged from the woods, with the sun now well up in the sky, Aria was quite eager to be rid of her entourage.
Within minutes, the grass underfoot soon changed to a worn dirt path and then to the wooden planks of a boardwalk; small buildings began sprouting along the path, leading into the messy sprawl of the port town, the huge Navy ships dominating the horizon. Aria kept her head down, ignoring the respectful bows and cheers of the people gathered on the edges of the walk. They act like Azula herself was walking into town, Aria thought bitterly. The walk they were treading made a straight beeline for the docks and soon all Aria could see of western sky was the great hulking mass of steel that made up Zhao’s flag ship. The closer they got, the higher Aria’s heart rate seemed to rise; it now seemed to be galloping right out of her chest and her stomach clenched into a tight knot. Her body was so tense it was almost painful; every now and then a muscle twitched as if protesting against such treatment. She baulked only a fraction of a second at the end of the dock before taking a deep breath, squaring her shoulders, and stepping onto the gangplank; never in her life had she performed an act of such supreme willpower.
Charging up the gangplank quickly, so as not to drag out the moment, Aria spotted Zhao before he did her; having had no messenger hawks available, the patrol had been unable to send word of Aria turning up and she would not be expected. He stood on deck near the other side of the ship, barking out orders as men scurried to do as he bid. It had been easy to pick him out from the others; he was a good head taller than many of the men under his command with great broad shoulders and arms swollen with muscle under his Commanders uniform. His dark hair was pulled back from his stern, albeit handsome face and in the few seconds Aria had to observe him she wondered why such an ugly person on the inside was allowed such a gorgeous outside. A great ripple effect seemed to be taking place on deck as slowly the crew members noticed the newcomer to their ship. Each seemed instinctively to know who the young woman was and they edged forward, each wanting a better look at the girl who had been so elusive over the past months. Inevitably, Zhao’s head turned toward the distraction and he locked eyes with Aria who had not been able to look away from him since she had gained the deck. For Aria, the next few minutes seemed to take an eternity to pass. Faint surprise was overshadowed by a huge smile of what seemed to be genuine excitement on Zhao’s face. The smallest of smiles ghosted across Aria’s face; he looked like nothing more than an overgrown boy just given the best birthday surprise of his life.
Zhao started forward in great, ground eating strides and, realizing she too had a part to play, Aria bound forward and met him halfway. His arms opened to accept her into a tight embrace that robbed her of her breath and cracked her back. They stood that way for several seconds, during which Aria felt incredibly tiny in his arms, before Zhao pulled back and moved his hands up her arms and onto her neck. With a gentleness that seriously surprised Aria, Zhao tilted her head back, staring into her eyes so intensely it made Aria want to squirm, and kissed her softly. There was a small, hardly noticeable, pause before Aria responded, laying her hands on his chest and pressing up against him. Zhao’s lips curved up into a smile against hers; this was proving to be a good morning. Aria’s cheeks glowed a bright red when applause and wolf whistles broke out from the most senior officers on board and she attempted to pull away, only getting as far as being tucked safely under Zhao’s arm. Judging it safe by the smile still in place on Zhao’s face, the rest of the crew joined in the applause and Aria wished she could disappear. Rage and humiliation were making Aria tremble and tears threatened to spill over but she smiled widely; she imagined the tears only made her look the part of reunited lover more effectively.
“Men! My love has finally been freed from the Avatar!” Zhao boomed out, giving her another squeeze, “After months of fear and anger, tonight is a night for celebration! Each of you is ordered to drink in my beautiful Aria’s honor tonight! Bring up the rest of the firewhiskey!”
This small speech was met with a deafening cheer from the sailors while several men scrambled down into the hold, cheerfully fulfilling Zhao’s orders; if anyone noticed the slightly stiff quality of the smile hitched in place on Aria’s face or the cold glint of her eyes, they were smart enough to refrain from remarking upon it.
“Have food prepared and brought up. Good food; Aria’s been held by savages, who knows what they allowed her to eat. We’ll sail in the morning; the rest of the patrols should be coming back throughout the day.” Zhao addressed one of his subordinates in a lower voice, “I’m taking Aria below to get settled, we’ve got a lot of catching up to do; keep one squadron on each ship back from drinking. I’ll be topside within the hour.”
“You over did it.” Aria stated blandly, shadowing Zhao down the same corridor she had been led down weeks before.
“Excuse me?” Zhao asked, swinging open the huge, steel door to his room and standing back for Aria to enter first. Though every instinct in her body screamed at her for doing it, Aria turned her back on Zhao and entered, hunching her shoulders up around her neck. Her eyes rested on his colossal bed, bringing up that ugly memory before she turned to face him again.
“You over did it.” Aria repeated slowly, “Fear, really? Anger would make sense coming from you; not fear.”
“Ah, you wound me.” Zhao answered sarcastically. He sauntered to the small sitting area and threw himself into the same chair he had occupied the last time Aria had been in this room. When Aria continued to stand stiffly in the middle of the room, Zhao gestured exasperatedly at the chair across from him, “Sit. Relax; I just want to talk.”
Aria sank into the chair across from his and drew her feet up, not really caring if she dirtied the upholstery with her boots. For several long seconds they surveyed each other, Aria uptight and Zhao lounging.
“Well Aria, you’re looking quite…rugged.” Zhao stated calmly, his eyes roving over her patched and frayed shirt, threadbare pants, and worn boots.
“Months wandering around the in the woods will do that to you.” Aria answered. Shifting in her seat, Aria leaned toward him slightly and a small smile spread across her face. “So…tell me; how long did it take you to walk back here? You know, because you burned down your own boats.”
A gust of air blew hard out of Zhao’s dilated nostrils and he clenched his fists so tightly the knuckles turned white. Aria observed the muscle in his clenched jaw twitching with interest, waiting to see what Zhao would do.
“I’ve missed that mouth of yours.” Zhao answered after a moment in a deceptively calm voice. The muscles in his arms and shoulders visibly relaxed though a small frown crease still marred his brow.
“Ah, you’ve learned to control your temper. Those constant blow ups didn’t suit you at all.” Aria answered sweetly. She wasn’t sure of what drove her to poke at the sleeping dragon that was Zhao’s temper, only that he needed to know she wasn’t intimidated…and it really was rather amusing to see him frustrated…
“Let’s discuss the Avatar.” Zhao said in a loud voice, ignoring her.
“I don’t know much.” Aria answered flippantly, “The plans were always pretty vague and not well thought out. Last I knew we were looking for an Earth bending master to teach Aang. BaSingSe was discussed. So was going back to Omashu. Seriously, they’re just a bunch of kids; planning isn’t a strong point.”
“You’re a dirty little liar.” Zhao answered in amusement, “They’re going to the North Pole. You can’t tell everyone where you’re headed and expect us not to find out.”
“What are you talking about?” Aria asked, unsure of what else to say.
“Kyoshi, the trading port, that traitor Shiou; all were able to agree on one point. The Avatar is flying to the North Pole to master Waterbending. Someone as important as the Avatar always leaves a trail.” Zhao stated pompously.
“Well, sounds like I don’t need to be on this ship at all.” Aria answered briskly, peeved and somewhat worried by his information, “You’ll be taking me back to the Capital then?”
“No.” Zhao snorted in derision, “Where’s the fun in that? I’m not sure why you’re so eager to get back home anyway; your father is going to play with you, he’s going to bring you to your knees and keep you there until I take you off his hands.”
“What about Zuko? What’s being done for him? When will he be allowed back?” Aria asked.
“It’s being taken care of; don’t worry yourself.” Zhao answered with an odd smile.
“Has there been any news of the ship that got captured off Whale Tail Island?” Aria asked, not liking the look of that smile but hungry for information.
“You mean the ship you were allowed to stow away on?” Zhao asked with his eyebrows raised, “You’ve not been near as sneaky as you think; the entire dock saw you get on that ship. The ship was salvaged along with much of the crew and is being readied for deployment.”
Zhao paused and regarded her silently for several seconds, rubbing his chin absently.
“But I assume that wasn’t the information you were looking for. You want to know about the Commander. What was his name again?” Zhao asked in feigned ignorance.
“Kon.” Aria answered from between clenched teeth.
“Oh. Right. Commander Kon. It’s likely he’s currently in a prison cell in the dungeons of BaSingSe but we’ve made no attempt to recover him; perhaps it’ll teach him to stay away from what’s mine.” Zhao stated in a deadly voice, his eyes boring into hers.
“I was the one who lied to him! You’re going to let a Fire Nation Commander rot in prison because of something I did? He didn’t even know who I was! He only let me on because I told him I had been kicked out of my house and that I could read maps!” Aria responded angrily.
“Please don’t be naïve Aria; if he didn’t know outright who you were, he would still have an idea you were somebody important; high class, spoiled brat radiates off you in waves. I don’t completely condemn him; a young, charming, beautiful girl coming onto him. I’d have considered it as well, if only to get what you were promising.”
“You’re disgusting.” Aria answered in a wavering voice, “I never came onto him.”
“The crew says differently. They all report seeing fraternization between you two; joking, dancing, disappearing together. Several seemed to think he fancied you. It raises a lot of questions. For myself, I believe you’re one cold hearted slut. Did you ever love Zuko or were you using him to get to the throne like you used Kon to get onto that ship and away from the Capital?”
Aria was positively shaking with rage, her face flushed red and her lips pressed tightly together. A triumphant smile covered Zhao’s face and he leaned toward her.
“You should learn to control your temper better; it doesn’t suit you…” Zhao stated, standing up and moving across the room to a chest of drawers. “Don’t play games with me; I’m much better at it than you.”
Aria sat ramrod straight in her chair, trying to calm the fury pumping through her veins while Zhao rifled through a drawer. She and Zuko had been meant for each other; never had she cared for someone more. He had no idea about Aria and Kon’s relationship; Kon had been nothing more than her Commanding Officer. A bolt of anguish and distress seared through her chest, revealing the true depth of her feelings for the imprisoned officer. None of it mattered anyway, she thought bitterly, watching Zhao.
“Here, put these on.” Zhao said, tossing her a bundle of clothes.
“Are you going to leave?” Aria asked in a deadpan voice.
“No.” He answered simply.
“What poor girl did these come from? I hope she was here willingly.” Aria asked rudely, examining the distinctly feminine clothing.
Zhao snorted in contempt.
“You’re about the only one I’ve ever had trouble convincing.” He answered arrogantly.
Angrily, Aria stood and kicked her boots off, sending them flying across the room. Her trousers went next, pooling at her feet before she kicked them off too. Zhao watched her with intense eyes, a smile playing at the corner of his mouth. Aria met his gaze, refusing to look embarrassed or particularly bothered at all; in reality a sickening combination of humiliation and anger was snaking its way through her midriff. She grabbed the hem of her shirt and pulled it up over her head, the scars on her sides pulling uncomfortably. Shivering in her underclothes, she reached for the pile of clothes Zhao had given her.
“Did I do this?” Zhao asked silkily, sauntering over and pulling her back up against him. His fingers trailed over the scars lightly before grabbing her more tightly and pushing his face into her hair.
“Yes.” Aria spit out, hating him.
“Shame.” He murmured, his breath tickling her ear. “You had such perfect white skin.”
In what seemed to be an act of supreme willpower, he pushed her away roughly and sat back in his chair, watching her with hooded eyes. Again Aria made a grab for the clothes and moved quickly, getting dressed in what she judged was under a minute. The laces of the boots made a loud rasping noise when she jerked them tight and tied them off. She straightened and looked at Zhao expectantly.
“Ravishing.” Zhao said sarcastically, responding to her questioning gaze and standing up again. “Let’s go.”
When Aria moved for the door, dragging her feet, with an expression akin to someone who had just smelled something unpleasant, Zhao caught her arm and spun her around to face him.
“Let me remind you of our agreement. We have yet to be legally bound but for all intents and purposes you are my wife and will act like it. If you want that sad excuse of a man to be safe in the Capital you’ll cooperate.” Zhao threatened, “Every single one of those men better believe you’re pathetically in love with me. Understood?”
Aria fought against the fury that was so distorting her normally pleasant face for several minutes, staring straight ahead at Zhao’s chest, before she was able to relax, though it was still simmering underneath. Almost imperceptibly, she nodded; a quick jerk in each direction while biting the inside of her cheek.
Zhao led the way to the stairs that would take them above deck, the metal corridor ringing with their footsteps. When halfway up the stairs, Aria grabbed Zhao’s hand; her delicate hand was almost completely encompassed by Zhao’s huge one. And by the time they stepped out on deck, a bright smile was securely in place to greet the cheering sailors.
It was hours later that Aria and Zhao returned to his quarters. The celebration had consisted of the high ranking officers trying to impress their Admiral and the enlisted sailors trying to stay out of the way and have a good time. Aria had smiled sweetly while she had been paraded before the Commanders from each of the ships, all the while wrapping her arm around Zhao’s waist; his arm being draped over her shoulders possessively. The food, alcohol, and conversation flowed freely and Aria found herself answering all sorts of questions regarding the Avatar’s cruelty and the trials she had to face and she hated herself for having to lie. Occasionally, Zhao would pull her face up to his and kiss her, inciting cheers and applause from the nearby sailors. The pulses of anger and disgust were so powerful inside of her, Aria was surprised it didn’t scorch the men surrounding her. Well past midnight, Zhao announced their retreat back to his quarters and Aria followed meekly, unsure if she should be relieved or terrified.
When Zhao turned to face Aria again after securely fastening the door, he was met with a look of such pure hatred that lesser man would have quailed before it; he simply laughed. This wildcat could only roar; her claws and fangs had been removed effectively the moment Zuko’s well-being had been addressed.
“Night cap?” Zhao asked casually over his shoulder, making his way to the well-used drinks cabinet. Aria’s brows lowered into a suspicious scowl and she crossed her arms when offered the deep red wine. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. There was no way she was taking another drink offered by him. A deep, throaty chuckle emanated from Zhao’s broad, smiling mouth and with deliberate slowness, he took a mouthful from both of the glasses in his hands.
“I assume, with our arrangement, I don’t need to resort to taking your bending.” Zhao stated, “How long did that last by the way?”
With a loud clink of glass on wood, Zhao set his own drink on the sitting area table and sat down to pull his boots off. Ignoring him, Aria perched herself lightly on the edge of the bed, clutching her glass as if it were her only tie to life. Her brain seemed only capable of one thought; why?
“Why? Why me?” Aria blinked in surprise, she had not meant to say it out loud. When Zhao’s sharp gaze met hers, Aria swallowed nervously and plunged ahead, “There’s got to be a thousand other women who would have you. Would claw each other’s eyes out to catch you in marriage. And lots of them with connections to highly placed military officers. So just why are you spending so much energy on me?”
Zhao contemplated her silently for several minutes before answering, that hated, crooked smile spreading slowly across his face.
“Don’t sell yourself short, Aria. I initiated the marriage contract because of your father but you’ve kept my interest completely on your own. You’re an incredibly talented bender. I’ve heard it said that your children are the only legacy with any real meaning you get to leave behind. If that turns out to be the case, our children will be a testament to my greatness and power. On top of that, I find you maddeningly attractive. I want you. I want every part of you to be mine. I want to have you whenever I want.”
At this point, Zhao’s face grew serious and he leaned forward, staring at her intently. Aria felt as if she might be sick.
“And most of all, I love when you fight me. I love how much you hate me. A woman who loves me would never consent to the things I’m going to do to you. I don’t need or want their love. I want to break you so when I’m done there will be nothing left of you but fear and acceptance.”
Aria was struck dumb at this small speech; he sounded like a psychopath. Though the small smile had reappeared on Zhao’s face, a new, sinister air seemed to be radiating from him; never before had Aria been so frightened by him. She downed the rest of her wine to buy time to get herself back under control, her heart racing. The uncomfortable spinning of her head made her immediately regret the rush of alcohol.
“Unfortunately, after a discussion with General Jirou, it was decided nothing more should be done to risk your and your father’s honor.” Zhao continued lightly, throwing back a mouthful of his own drink. Aria stared at him incomprehensibly, making Zhao grin without humor.
“At your father’s command, I cannot bed you. We wouldn’t want to stick you with a squalling babe before we’ve wed. That’d be most…shameful.” Zhao stated baldly.
He laughed cruelly at the flicker of relief that passed across Aria’s face.
“After all this time, you’re still an ignorant little girl.” Zhao said maliciously. He paused and drained the last of his wine before slamming the glass back down on the table and standing up. “There are plenty of things we can do to occupy the nights.”
“It won’t matter if you do it or not!” Aria responded shrilly, “If we spend the night in the same room the damage is done anyway!”
“They can whisper, nothing more.” Zhao answered carelessly.
Aria tensed and watched with carefully blank eyes as Zhao crossed the short distance between them. She could feel bile threatening to rise up her throat but swallowed it back. Zhao grabbed her under the chin and pulled her face up to look at him. She met his gaze evenly; his touch was so far gentle but her heart was already pounding as if in warning.
“You are a beauty.” Zhao stated lustily. Aria let him push her back onto the bed stiffly, her hands balled into tight fists. A slight frown pulled the corner of Zhao’s mouth.
“Keep in mind, Aria, I have control of the Prince’s fate. Should Jirou hear you were being uncooperative, the Prince will live out the rest of his life in the Earth Kingdom and you’ll go back to the Fire Nation in chains if need be.” He stated smoothly, “So you’re going to have to do better than that. Convince me.”