Playing With Fire

Chapter 4

Sheets were tangled around Aria’s legs from her constant tossing and turning. She had been unable to sleep, filled with dread for the coming morning. Sunrise, it would happen at sunrise. Formal Agni Kai’s always took place at sunset or sunrise, being significant times of the day for firebenders. Sunset signified the waning of power with the retreat of the sun and sunrise signified the return of the sun and with it an increase of the fire bender’s powers. She stared at the ceiling, listening to the sounds of the house around her. Every so often a soft cough or a creak of a floorboard would reach her; the servant had taken her father at his word and hadn’t left the hallway outside her room. Aria was tempted to go out the window; she didn’t have any destination in mind, she just wanted to spite her father.
Several hours later, sleep still eluded Aria, her thoughts had moved on to her father and the Firelord. She honestly couldn’t feel anything but fury towards them. A soft rap on the door echoed in her room, one of the household servants had come to wake her. Outside, light was just beginning to creep over the skyline of the city and through her window. She jumped out of bed, no desire to lie there any longer. Not bothering to answer the servant’s persistent knocking, she began to dress. She put on the traditional Fire Nation military uniform; this was not a social event. Pointed-toe shoes that stayed tight fitting up to the knees, black slightly loose fitting pants, and a dark, red and black armor like vest over a red tunic. She wasn’t in the military but every high class citizen had such an outfit. Her last preparation was to secure her hair in a top knot. Pulling the door open, she marched past the servants, not acknowledging their presence.
Downstairs, she ran into her mother waiting in the entrance hall.
“Where’s father?” Aria asked.
“He’s already left.” Her mother answered in a soft, whispery voice, “Aria, you really must learn to behave. It would make life much easier.”
Aria rolled her eyes but said nothing. She loved her mother, she really did, but she had long ago lost respect for her. It was like her mother didn’t have her own opinions or voice, she could have been another servant in the house. Of course that was the way General Jirou wanted it. They walked in silence to the great hall where the duel was to take place; there was much more activity than usual for this early in the morning. Agni Kai’s were of great importance to the citizens of the Fire Nation.
Approaching the hall, Aria could hear a great amount of noise coming from inside. It sounded as if the entire city was gathered there. Which it probably was, anyone of importance anyways, Aria reminded herself. The doors were swung open by liveried servants and they swept inside, Aria’s heart seemed to be leaping out of her chest. Her eyes immediately found the huge stage where the duel would take place but it was unoccupied; Zuko was nowhere in sight. Her father was sitting midway down the stage with most of the other high ranking military leaders; they got the best seats in the house. Their eyes met, his expression was cold and he looked away, deeming her not worthy of his notice. Scowling, Aria slipped away from her mother and went to stand next to General Iroh. She had always liked him, he didn’t seem to mind conversing with a fourteen year old and he always had something amusing to say. Today he seemed unusually grave but seeing as Zuko was his nephew, Aria understood. He gave her a brief smile and patted her on the shoulder; he knew she wasn’t happy about the situation either.
All around her, people seemed to be excited, talking merrily. It was almost sickening how eagerly they watched the doors where the combatants would emerge. Aria crossed her arms, trying to control her emotions. On the other side of Iroh, Azula stood looking smug. Aria didn’t understand how she could be so happy about what had happened in her family but refused to waste her breath talking to her. Aria felt pressure on her shoulders and someone said in her ear.
“Why so tense? Feeling bad for the prince?”
Aria spun around, displacing the hands that were gripping her shoulders. Captain Zhao stood behind her, an amused smirk on his face. He was easily a foot taller than her and broad shouldered. The corners of her lips jerked downwards in a frown and her eyebrows furrowed. She had never particularly liked Captain Zhao and since she had recently found out about his desire to marry her, a ploy to further his career no doubt; her opinion of him hadn’t improved.
“What do you want?” Aria asked impatiently.
Captain Zhao raised his eyebrows at her attitude. This girl intrigued him; she was defiant even towards older, higher ranked people. He was counting on Zuko’s disgrace today to make General Jirou reconsider his proposal. It would be a fun challenge to break her from her stubbornly head strong attitude. Relishing the thought, he grinned hugely.
“Tell me, what does your father think about Zuko now?” He countered her question with another smoothly.
Aria clenched her jaw but turned around and said nothing. She didn’t want to risk getting into more trouble if her father heard about her being disrespectful to a Fire Navy Captain. A hush fell over the crowd; the door at the end of the hall had opened. Zuko entered first and walked to the end of the stage, facing the wall. He was wearing loose fitting pants with no shoes or shirt, draped over his shoulders was a red and gold silk cloth. He crouched on one knee, his hands steadying him on the ground. Firelord Ozai emerged from the open door next, dressed similarly to Zuko; he ascended the steps slowly and knelt down in the same position.
The room remained silent in the second before the two duelers turned to face each other. Aria felt as if she was going to burst with anxiety. She could hear the people around her but little seemed to matter outside of the two figures on the stage. A buzzing could be heard throughout the room; the crowd had not stayed silent for long. Aria tried to convince herself that Zuko would put up a good enough fight to stay in good standing and everything would be ok but nothing would sooth the feeling of dread inside of her. She caught a glimpse of Zuko’s face; he seemed to be calm and confident and she didn’t understand. How could anyone remain so calm when about to face the Firelord?
The signal for the beginning of the Agni Kai was sounded and both combatants straightened, the cloth falling from their shoulders. Firelord Ozai was the first to turn around and he raised his hands, ready to fight. The expression when Zuko turned and faced his father was utter and complete shock. He didn’t know. He didn’t know he’d be facing his own father. Aria thought in horror. Zuko overcame his shock and threw himself to the ground, prostrating himself to his father. Aria felt sick listening to Zuko beg with his father. Behind her, Zhao chuckled and she could have hit him. She willed Zuko to get up and fight; he may not win but it would be better for him than not fighting at all. Firelord Ozai advanced step by step, his fists clenched.
“Please father, I only had the Fire Nation’s best interest at heart! I’m sorry I talked out of turn!” Zuko pleaded.
“You will fight for your honor!” Firelord Ozai demanded. “Rise and fight Prince Zuko!”
“I won’t fight you!”
“You will learn respect and suffering will be your teacher.” Ozai said threateningly. Aria saw what was coming and tried to look away; Zhao stepped forward and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her up against him. With his other hand he grabbed her chin and forced her to face the stage.
“Just watch. You’d do well to see what happens to those who are disrespectful” He whispered in her ear. She struggled briefly but when the Firelord’s arm rose she froze, unable to tear her eyes away from Zuko. Fire erupted from his fist, encompassing half of Zuko’s face. Aria shouted out but Zuko’s screams drowned her out. Tears rolled down her face and she could not believe Azula, Zhao, and the rest of the crowd were still smiling. Iroh, alone, seemed to be upset.
“You have shown shameful weakness. You are banished from the Fire Nation! You will not return until you have regained your honor by capturing the avatar.” Firelord Ozai said furiously.
Zuko lay, holding his face, on the floor of the stage, whimpering in pain. Forgetting who had ahold of her she turned, sobbing, and hid her face against Zhao’s chest. He wrapped his arms around her with a smug look on his face. Aria couldn’t believe what the Firelord had said. The avatar hadn’t been seen in over 100 years! Zuko would never be able to return. She sobbed harder at the thought of his maimed face. Realizing who was holding her, she pushed away and turned, determined to gain the stage and help Zuko. Before she had taken two steps, General Iroh grabbed her arm. Aria turned and looked at him; his eyes were filled with sorrow.
“You will only make it worse for him and yourself.” He warned pityingly. Aria turned and fled from the hall; she couldn’t take it anymore. After just a couple minutes, the rest of the crowd followed suite and the hall emptied.
Several hours later, Aria was hovering outside of her father’s study. Listening briefly at the door, she knocked softly. Hearing a permission to enter, she swung the door open and stepped inside. Her eyes were red and swollen and she was unusually subdued. General Jirou contemplated her silently before returning to the scroll he had been reading.
“Father, I wish to visit Prince Zuko.” She declared, her voice sounding oddly diminished.
He continued to read without even a glance in her direction.
“That is impossible this evening. The Prince is allowed no visitors.” He answered impassively.
“Do you know when I might see him?” She persisted.
“They say he will be able to visit in the morning.” He said, “You may go see him then.”
“Thank you father!” Aria said before backing out the way she had come. She was surprised at his willingness to let her see him but wasn’t going to complain. Unsmiling, she went to her room and prepared for bed.
-------
The next morning dawned bright and sunny; the sound of birds could be heard throughout the house. Aria sprang out of bed and dressed quickly; she needed to go and see if Zuko was alright. Bounding down the stairs, she almost ran into her father who was going to breakfast.
“Where are you going?” He demanded irritably.
“To see Zuko…” She answered slowly.
“The Prince is gone. He was sent away early this morning with General Iroh as his companion.” He stated.
Aria’s eyes widened in shock and she felt as if the ground had dropped out from under her. She hadn’t said goodbye.
“What? You said I could…You said I…I could go and see him.” Aria stammered, her mind reeling.
“I lied.” General Jirou said mercilessly. He continued to walk to the breakfast room, leaving Aria alone in the dark hall. She sank to her knees and cried.