Status: Complete - I am currently working on a sequel, but won't post until I have it half finished. Look for it in late November.

Tattooed

The Quiet Things No One Ever Knows

“Danni! Someone’s here for you!” My mother called from the bottom of the stairs. I was finishing up the make up on my neck. The deep purple was hard to hide than usual. I’d spent the extra hour unpacking and arranging my art supplies. I finished the make up quickly, grabbed my bag, and ran down the stairs, the chains on my formfitting jeans hitting the back of my thighs.

“Hey.” I shut the door behind me. “A little early aren’t you?” I looked over at Zina’s car, she must still be inside.

“Yeah. I wanted to talk to you before we got to school.” Zack’s beautiful eyes tainted with concern.

“Ok. What’s up?” I took a seat on the steps of the front porch. He sat next to me, body tilted so he was still facing me.

“I know it’s none of my business but, what happened to your neck?” I instinctively looked down, my hair falling around my neck.

“What are you talking about?” My hands were quickly becoming the most interesting things in the world.

“And don’t tell me you fell again.” I just looked up at him, tears stinging my eyes. I didn’t want to tell anyone, especially him. I bit the side of my lip to distract myself from the tears that were so close to betraying me. His look soften before he just pulled me into a hug.

“Zack… I…” Speaking did it. A single tear ran down my right cheek. I just buried my face in his neck and cried quietly. “Is it visible?” It was muffled by his skin. I felt him shake his head. Good, he understood me.

“Shhh. It’s ok. I saw it last night.” He put some distance between us only to wipe way the trail that was left behind. He brushed the hair out of my face before pulling me back to him.

“Zack! Danni! Let’s go!” Zina called across the yard.

“Come on.” Zack’s soft voice whispered pulling away. He wiped my eyes and stood, pulling me with him. The collar of his shit on the right was damp from my tears. Once in the car he pulled be back into his embrace, just holding me for the short ride to school. “Are you ok?” his worry evident in his voice as we got out of the car. His arm draped itself over my shoulders.

“Yeah.” I nodded and pulled out some face powder and touched up where my foundation had been removed. Thank god I had waterproof eye make up. I looked like I had before our talk, except the red eyes, by the time we made it to class. Jimmy greeted me with the yelling of my nickname. He was dressed in a pink bathrobe with pajama pants on underneath looking like he just rolled out of bed.

“Whoa, are you high?” He asked looking at my eyes as I took my seat. “Why did you share!?!?” He pouted.

“Sorry, Jim.” I laughed. Better him think I’m high then been crying. I hate looking weak. The bell rang a few minutes prior to the intercom turning on.

“Sorry for the interruption but we will be having a fire drill today. I want all of you to take it seriously. Thank you for you’re time.” The intercom clicked off and Mrs. Dunn started her lesson. Half way through class, so about an hour had passed, and the fire alarm went off.

“I’ll save you Gummy Worm!” Jimmy threw me over his shoulder and ran out of the room to the stadium before setting me down. He looked me over. “Are you burned?!?!” A serious look plastered on his face.

“Jimmy, it was just a drill.” I laughed. My mood was definitely improving. The class joined us and Mrs. Dunn walked up to him.

“Mr. Sullivan.” She started but was stopped before she could say anything else by Jimmy defending his actions.

“I was told to take it seriously. If the school were to spontaneously combust, I would grab would run out with her.” The look on her face was priceless. Give him detention for doing what he was told? I think not. She huffed off.

“Are you ok?” Z walked up laughing.

“Yeah. He didn’t drop me.”

“You think I would drop you?!?!” Jimmy’s mouth hung open is shock. He went to pick me back up only for me to start running away.

“You’ll never catch me!” I yelled over my shoulder seeing him a good 5 yards behind me. I turned my attention back to where I was heading then I hit the ground, the weight of another body on mine. The person stood allowing me to roll over and look up into those beautiful green eyes.

“Said you couldn’t be caught.” He shrugged laughing. Jimmy reached us panting slightly.

“Yeah, by Jimmy, Mr. Baseball player.” I took the hand he was offering and he pulled me
to my feet. I knocked the grass off of the front of my H2Oshirt and jeans.

“I so could have caught you.” He was catching his breath.

“You don’t run do you?” He shook his head. “You really should. You’ll get arrested one day for not being fast enough.” We all walked back to the class smiling. Too soon we all had to go back inside and resume class. I think this is going be my easiest class considering I already speak fluent French.

“Remember you’re mine for lunch.” Zack said hugging me once we reached my second class of the day.

“I know.” I smiled at him as he walked down the hall. My shoulders felt cold after having the warmth his arm around them the entire 15 minute and walk to class.

“You’re not sitting with us today?” Matt’s pout almost made me laugh.

“No. She’s too good for us. She’s sitting with the jocks.” Jimmy said bitterly.

“I promised Zack I’d sit with him. Guys come on. If I was too good for you I would have hung out after school yesterday.” I pointed out. They both nodded in agreement.

“So, you like H2O?” Matt asked eyeing my shirt.

“Duh. I don’t rep bands I don’t like.” I smiled.

“Look at this.” He lifted the left leg of his jeans and showed me his calf.

“How did you get a tattoo?!?! You’re 15!”

“I know a guy. My parents freaked out!” He was laughing at the look on my face. We spent the hour and 45 minutes blowing off the work we were supposed to be doing and joking around. Zack was at the door the minute the bell rang.

“Hey are you coming over today?” Jimmy stopped me.

“I have finish unpacking. How about tomorrow?” I had a hopeful look on my face.

“And you have to stay for at least 4 hours.”

“Alright. Deal.” Jim and I shook hands on it.

“What’s the deal?” Zack placed his arm back over my shoulder. I think I could get used to this.

“None of your business Baker.” Jimmy shoved past him and down the hall.

“I’ll see you later Danni.” Matt chased him.

“So what’s the deal?” Zack repeated his question as we headed down the hall to the courtyard.

“That Jimmy gets me after school tomorrow for at least 4 hours.” I dropped my bag next to his and took a seat at the table.

“Sounds fun.” I couldn’t read the look on his face.

“Hey guys.” Chase sat down on my other side placing a tray in front of me and the other he was carrying in front of himself. I raise one eyebrow at him.

“Damn man, you bring her food but not me? I see how you are.” Zack joked. I shoved a fry in his mouth.

“You’re eating some of this.” I pointed to the almost over flowing tray. “Jeez, Chase, did you think I was a horse?”

“I didn’t know what you liked. Thought I’d be nice and bring you food but if you want to be like that I can always give it to someone else.”

“I’ll take it.” Zack said and slid the tray between us. “So why are you being so nice to her?”

“She’s hot?” was his reply. I thought I saw Zack shoot a glare at him but I can’t be positive. I was taking a bite of one of the pieces of pizza. “Anyway. What are you doing after school today?”

“She’s hanging with me.” Zack’s arm found it’s way back to my shoulders. “That is if you want to.” He looked at me.

“What’d you have in mind?” I looked at Chase thinking it maybe something involving my dad.

“Nothing important.” He shrugged.

“What about you?” I turned to look at Z.

“Figured we’d chill at the beach.” He smiled.

“So we’re chilling in the backyard?” I giggled.

“Or we could watch movies or diner or something. Whatever you want to really.”

“Sky diving?” I asked but the horrified look on his face made me burst into a fit of laughed. “I’m kidding. Plan something and we’ll do it.” still smiling I took another bite.

“Whoa dude, what happened to you?” I look to see who Zack was talking to.

“Got in a fight.” There stood Jerry, eye blackened and lip busted.

“Looks like your had you ass handed to you.” I smiled up at him. He brushed me off and sat down with the group.

“Save me!” Jimmy was running around the courtyard screaming. Matt S was chasing him with something in his cupped hands. Jimmy hid behind me. “Help!” He ducked down
even more.

“What’s going on?” Matt was running towards us. Jimmy bolted off again when he got near. And I thought the boy couldn’t run. Matt tossed whatever was in his hands at Jim.

“Spider!!!!” Jimmy was swatting at his clothes. He ended up taking the robe off and running some more.

“Jimmy! It’s ok! It’s dead!” Val yelled from her seated position on the ground.

“Don’t lie to him! It’s going to kill you Jimmy!” The other Matt said and received a hard hit from Val. Jason tackled Jim into the grass.

“Dude, you’re fine! See, no spider.” Jimmy seemed to calm down a bit.

“Matt! You are so dead!” Jimmy grabbed his robe and went after Matt. They disappeared around a corner. By this point, I was close to tears from laughter.

“God, what freaks.” The girl who was sitting next to Chase spoke. Everyone in the group agreed except Zack, Chase, and myself.

“So they are freaks because they know how to have fun and enjoy themselves? What do you do for fun? Throw your pom-poms around?” Zack and Chase both got wide eyed.

“Look at them! And it’s more than throwing pom-poms around. I’d like to see you do it.” Her snobbish tone was really irritating. “Besides, shouldn’t you be over there with them? Why are you even here?”

“She’s here because I asked her to be.” Zack pulled me closer.

“Cheerleading isn’t hard. Anything you can do I promise I can top it.” A grin played on her lips as she stood from the table and went to the center of the grass where no one was sitting. She stretched out her wrist and ankles before running into her front flip.

“Really? Wow. A front flip.” I rolled my eyes and stood up, Zack’s arm falling to his side.

“Are you sure you should be doing this with your wrist and all?” He asked concerned.

“I’ll be fine. I won’t even use my left hand.” I walked over to where the blond had started. Both sets of twins watching with interest. I ran a few steps doing a round off back handspring back tuck half twist front tuck using only my right arm. I had to take a few extra steps after my landing to keep from landing on my ass. During the round off my shirt had found it’s way up, showing off the bottom on my black and lime green bra. I had to tug it back in place as I turned to face everyone.

“Holy shit! Why did you tell us you could do that!?!? You have to show me!!” I heard Val yelling.

“Woo! That’s our girl!” I turned to see Matt clapping and Jimmy’s mouth hanging open. Almost everyone else was clapping. I took a bow and thanked them, telling Val I’d show her someday. I walked back over to my seat, bumping forcefully into the girl who’d started all of this before she stormed off.

“Wow. How’d you do that?” Zack’s astonishment still on his face.

“I was in gymnastics since I was 4.” It wasn’t really that big of a deal. We went back to eating.

“Ms. Ryder, may I have a word with you?” Mrs. Dunn asked walking over to the table.

“Yes ma’am?” I walked over to her just out of hear shot of either group of my friends.

“I saw your little display earlier, and as I’m sure you know, I am the cheerleading coach. I know tryouts have passed, but if you are interested, we have an open spot for someone with your skills. It’d be a pleasure to have you on the team.” Her hopeful smile made me feel bad.

“I’m not the cheerleading type. Besides, my wrist is broken so I would be much help to the team. I can’t clap.” I scrunched my nose. “Sorry.”

“I understand.“ She made a failed attempt at looking indifferent. I walked back to the group, taking my seat, Zack’s arm back on me.

“What’d she want?” Zack looked at me.

“Wanted me to join her team of bimbos.” I shoved a fry in my mouth.

“Wait, you got asked to join?” Chase voice filled my ears. “Why didn’t you join?”

“Cheering isn’t my thing. I’d rather gouge my eyes out.” We finished eating and headed to class. I don’t think my shoulders have ever been this warm. Zack and I took our seats trying to figure out something to do tonight.

“Hello class.” Mr. Gardiner spoke walking in the room after the bell sounded. “I hope you brought your books because today we start projects! Today we start dissections! Every pair will be responsible for building a 3D replica of the fetal pigs they open today. There are cameras on your desk, you are welcome to take as many pictures as you want to use at references. Now everyone please place on your aprons, gloves, and goggles.” He had went to his desk and pulled out a large container. He started to pass out the pigs as everyone in the class put on the appropriate safety gear.

“I don’t think this is going to turn out well.” I whispered to Zack. He looked at me confused. “Forget it.”

“Here you go.” Mr. Gardiner placed a pig on the tray on the table. My stomach started doing flips. Zack pinned the animal to the tray as instructed.

“Are you feeling ok?” Zack gloved hand touching mine. I just nodded and snapped a picture.

“Make a single incision down the center.” Mr. Gardiner told the class. Zack fallowed the instructions. I could hear the skin pop as he pressed the scalpel down and that’s all it took. I darted from the room straight to the bathroom. After having expelled the contents of my stomach into the toilet, I heard Michelle calling my name. I flushed the remains of my lunch and stomach acid before pulling off the gloves and throwing them in the trash; the apron and goggles on the floor.

“I’m in here.” I finally worked up the nerve to speak walking out of the stall and scrubbing my hand and arms up to my elbows.

“Are you ok?” She asked as I rinsed my mouth out.

“I’m ok. I can deal with gory movies all day long, put something real in front of me and my stomach is the weakest thing on the planet.” I splashed some cold water on my face. “Would you mind going and getting my make up out of my bag? I look like a walking hell.” I asked nicely. She slipped from the room without saying a word. She returned, my bag in hand.

“Are you sure you’re ok? You still look kind of green.” She pointed out handing me the face powder.

“Yeah.” I smiled reassuringly.

“I have to get back to class. If you’re not back in 5 minutes I’m coming back in here.” She patted my back then walked out. I did my face powder, grabbed the stuff I’d thrown on the floor and stepped out of the bathroom.

“Hey.” Zack rubbed my back. There was no way I was going to go back in that class and keep down what was left in my body. Z seemed to notice this. “Here, let me take these back in and I’ll talk to Mr. Gardiner.” He took the stuff from hands and went back in the class. He returned moments later his stuff with him. “Come on. We’re going home.” His arm found it’s way back to my shoulders.

“What about the project?”

“He said not to worry about it, that he’d fine something else for us to do.” Zack led me down the stairs and down the road toward our houses. We lived about 2 miles from the school so it wasn’t too bad of a walk. We reached my house and he fallowed me in and to my room. Aaron and Mom wouldn’t be home until 6 so we had about 4 hours.

“I’ll be right back.” I stepped into my bathroom and brushed my teeth then finished by doing a rinse of mouthwash.

“You draw?” I heard Zack yell from my room.

“And paint.” I said leading in the doorway watching him look through my stuff.

“Sorry. I don’t mean to be nosey.” He looked up at me.

“Not a big deal. I have nothing in here to hide.” I smiled and sat on my bed. He soon joined and caught sight of the picture on my night stand.

“Who are these people?” He asked picking it up.

“Let’s see, far right is David, next one in is Chuck, and finally my cousin, Pierre.” The guys were holding me up; David was supporting my lower back, Chuck had my thighs, and Pierre had my feet.

“You’re all wearing the same shirt. What’s ‘Reset’?”

“The band I was in. It was Pierre, Chuck, our other friend Philippe, and I. David was our groupie.” I joke. “I actually think he took my place when I left.”

“How old is this picture? Looks really recent.”

“5 days. We took it the night before I left.” He set the picture down. “Let’s go outside.” I grabbed the same guitar from last night as Zack and I headed down the stairs. He grabbed the blanket off the back porch and we walk a few feet before he hit sand. He spread the blanket out closer to the water. I pulled my socks and shoes off; he did the same.

“You know I don’t actually own a left handed guitar. My parents got me a right handed one, so I have learned to play upside down.” He laughed. “Random Zacky fact for you.”

“I did the same for about a year until my dad bought me one. Here.” I pushed the guitar at him. “Play for me.” He took the guitar from me.

“I should have never played for you.” He shook his head.

“Not my fault you have a beautiful voice.” He started to strum and the opening notes to ‘If I Close My Eyes Forever’ by Ozzy Osbourne featuring Lita Ford. “Baby, I get so scared inside and don’t really understand/ Is it love that‘s on my mind or is it fantasy?” I sang the opening lyrics Zack green eyes shining at me.

“Heaven, is in the palm of my hand and it's waiting here for you/ What am I supposed to do with a childhood tragedy?” His voice gave me butterflies. “You like Ozzy?”

“Yeah, but Lita Ford is my idol. She’s the reason I learned guitar.”

“She is pretty awesome. I think it’s time you play me a song.” He handed the guitar. I rolled my eyes and started playing.

“I went to a party last Saturday night/ I didn't get laid, I got in a fight,/ Uh, huh/ It ain't no big thing/ Late for my job and the traffic was bad/ Had to borrow ten bucks from my old man/ Uh, huh/ It ain't no big thing/ I went to a party last Saturday night/ I told you that story, I'd be alright/ Uh, huh/ It ain't no big thing/ But I know what I like/ I know I like dancing with you/ And I know what you like/ I know you like dancing with me/ Yeah, yeah/ Kiss me once/ Kiss me twice/ C'mon pretty baby, kiss me deadly.” I was watching my hands as I played. After signing the last line I looked up only to have Zack’s lip press lightly to mine. His hand found it way to my cheek and I completely forgot about playing melting into the kiss. He pulled away all too soon but his hand stayed on my face, his kiss still burning on my lip.

“You told me to.” He smiled. I leaned forward pressing my lips to his again. If felt like putting a 9 volt battery on your tongue. My hand found the back of his neck. Our lips separated and he rested his forehead against mine. He green eyes staring into mine. We sat there for a few moments the only noise was the waves crashing to the shore.

“Danielle Aurora Ryder!” I hear Aaron’s voice explode from the house. He was home early.