Status: Complete - I am currently working on a sequel, but won't post until I have it half finished. Look for it in late November.

Tattooed

Daddy's Little Defect

“We got her boss.” A male spoke. I kicked the trunk lid up and pulled myself out. One of the three men grabbed me, holding my back to him, feet about half a foot off the ground. Any buzz I had from the beer was completely gone now.

“Put me down, ass wipe.” I wiggled in his grasp.

“Not happening.” I brought the heel of my foot back as hard as I could into his shin. His hands felt to the source of the pain and I landed gracefully on my feet. A strong hand gripped my upper left arm. I looked up at the man.

“Mr. Gardiner?” I was looking up at my biology teacher.

“Come on. Chase, I told you to pick her up, not shove her in a trunk. Get her bag. Dylan get out of here.” His grip tightened on my arm as he dragged me through what looked to be a junk yard as the blond I kicked left. I looked over to the one referred to as Chase. I knew him. He was one of Zack’s friends. He had been next to Jerry during our ‘conversation’.

“Sorry? How else was I supposed to get her here? Walk up and say ‘I need you to come with me. Would you please take a seat in the car? I can’t tell you where we’re going. I know I let my friend shove you into lockers but I swear I’m a nice guy.’ Like that would have worked.”

“Actually, it would have.” I mumbled.

“Shut up.” Mr. Gardiner’s grip tighten even more as we walked into a building. He shoved me to the ground.

“Whoa. Did I say to shove her around? No. I swear if she has a single mark on her, it’ll be your heads!” A familiar voice boomed from just a few feet in front of me. I quickly pulled myself off the floor and rushed to the man.

“Daddy!” I hugged his waist tightly.

“Hey baby girl. What’s wrong with your arm?” He finally noticed the plaster on my arm. I looked up at him and when yo speak. “And you lip!?!? What did you do to her!?!?” My father glared over my head to my captors who looked dumbfounded.

“She was like that when I found her!” Chase protested slightly frightened.

“I tried surfing Dad.” I took a step back. He didn’t need to know the real reason my lip
was busted.

“Are you ok? Any other injuries?” He had both hands on my shoulder looking me over.

“I’m fine Daddy.” I laughed. “So why was I grabbed off the street and shoved in a trunk?” I asked a s he lead me and the other 2 men through the building to an office.

“I wanted to see you.” he stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world. I looked around the office and noticed a bag of white powdery substance and a huge stack of money on the table.

“I knew it!” I shouted my eyes locked on the bag. My father quickly grabbed it and shoved it in a drawer. “I knew there was no way you made as much as you did being a salesman!” I smiled in my triumph.

“Your dad here supplies most of LA.” Chase whispered in my ear. My father shot his a glare.

“I am a salesman. I just don’t sell what you thought.” He shrugged.

“Awesome! My dad’s a drug dealer!” He just rolled his eyes at me and motioned to some chairs for me to take a seat.

“You know you’re not allowed to tell anyone right?” He looked at me. As he and I got comfortable in the chairs, the other men standing at the door.

“Duh. I’m not stupid.” I sounded like the teenager I was. He just laughed.

“How was your first day of school? Make any friends?”

“Yeah actually. I met a group of kids and we hit it off.”

“And do these kids have names?” He inquired with one eyebrow raised.

“Jimmy, Matt, Val, Michelle, Brian, and Matt and Jason Berry. Then there is Zack.” He got a confused look on his face and looked to other teenager in the room.

“Why don’t I know any of these people?”

“Sir, they are the freaks. Well except Zack. He’s one of my good friends. We’re on the baseball team together. He‘s the one who fished her out of the water.” He sounded like he was in the military.

“Give him something nice for taking care of my little girl.” I’m not sure if this was directed to my teacher or Chase.

“Wait,” It took me this long to realized I needed to ask him something. “Why is my biology teacher here?”

“Well sweetie, for your protection. I have a few teacher on my payroll looking after you to make sure no one hurts you. A few students too. Don’t want anything to happen to my little girl.” He smiled at me patting my head. He turned his attention back to Chase.”

“And where is Jerry? I told both of you to keep an eye on her!” He didn’t look so happy anymore.

“Wait. Jerry? As in the embodiment of testosterone?” My father looked at me confused. I turned to Chase. “The one who was pushing me around?” His eyes got big and I turned back to Dad.

“He was pushing her around?” His face was getting red.

“We didn’t know she was yours until you contacted me after school!” He took a step back. Dad just gritted his teeth and settled back into his chair. He was always very protective of me.

“I swear if one hair on her head is out of of place again you’ll both pay, no matter who’s fault.” He warned. “Danni, you know I’m not going to be able to see you a lot right?”

“I know Dad.” I said solemnly.

“Have you told anyone who you’re parents are?” His face completely serious.

“Not really. I don’t think I told anyone you’re name. Why?” I asked bewildered.

“It’s best you not go around telling people. Things have changed a lot since you moved in with Kayla. It’d just be safer if you don’t tell anyone.” He dug through some the drawer he had stashed the bag in. He sat up and handed me something made of black plastic with a somewhat thick cylinder on the top right. I turned it over in my hand and slid my thumb in the slit down the side of it. It popped open.

“What’s this? It looks like some kind of phone.” I looked it over some more. It had a small screen that read ‘Motorola’ just about it. On the part that flipped up there was a strip that read ‘StarTAC’.

“It is. It’s a cellular phone. They just starting these smaller ones. If you ever need to get a hold of me, just press one and the green button on the bottom. Don’t show that off.” He gave me a stern look.

“I won’t.” I put the bulky thing in my pocket. “What time is it?” I asked to no one in particular.

“It’s 6:34.” Mr. Gardiner replied.

“I should be getting home. Mom’s going to flip.” I stood. “I love you Dad.” I gave him a tight hug.

“Here.” He said shoving a good part of the stack of money in my pocket. “Blow it on shit your mother will hate.” He gave me a wicked smile. Have I told you that my dad is the shit? He wants to annoy my mother as much as he can. “Don’t get in too much trouble. Greg keep an eye on her. Chase, get her home safely. No more shoving her in trunks.” I laughed slightly.

“Yes, sir.” Chase nodded.

“Bye Daddy!” I called over my shoulder fallowing the boy out. We walked over to a blue and black sports bike. He handed me my bag which I slug across my body and hoped on the back of the bike after Chase had gotten on. “Are you legally allowed to drive this?”

“You only have to be 15 to get a motorcycle license here.“ He revved the bike to a start and took off down the road, neither of us wearing helmets. I held tightly to his torso until he pulled to a stop in front of my house. He killed the engine. “Home. Safe and sound just like I was told.” He laughed a little. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the curtain in the top left window of Zack’s house move. I brushed it off.

“Thanks for the ride Chase.” I slipped off the bike. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” I walked into the house hearing the bike jump back to life and speed off as I shut the door.

“Who the hell was that?” Aaron demanded upon seeing my presence.

“A friend from school.” I was starring at my feet.

“You slut. You probably slept with him!” I could smell vodka on his breath.

“No. He gave me a ride home from another friend’s house.” I was starting to panic. I knew what was coming.

“More guys you’re fucking, huh?” Then I felt it. His hand collided with the side of my face, sending me to the floor; the contents of my bag spilling all over the floor. “Get up.” I started to push myself off the floor only to be grabbed by the throat and slid up the wall until my feet were well off the ground. I gasped for air, pulling at his hand. I heard my mom washing dishes in the kitchen. I knew she could hear everything; she just chose to ignore it. The edges of my vision started to turn black just before I was dropped. I fell to the floor breathing as deeply as I could. “You’re pathetic. Pick that shit up.” With a swift kick to my ribs he walked off. I crawled up the stairs and into my room locking the door after placing everything back in my bag.

About 3 hours had passed since my arrival home. I spent all of it staring at the ceiling. It was nearing 10 when I heard their bedroom door shut. I placed the strap on my acoustic guitar on, sliding it so it was resting on my back, then grabbed a blanket and a notepad with a pen then crept down the stairs and out the back door. I sat on the covering and started playing.

“Pretty.” Zack took a seat in the same next to me on the blanket when I stopped playing.

“Hey.” I shook my hair to make sure it fell over my neck. I’m positive the bruise was already surfacing. I set the guitar down in the sand next to me, pulling my legs up to my chest. My arms rested on my knees, my chin on my arms.

“Are you ok?” I could feel him looking at me.

“Fine.” I lied.

“Mine if I try?” He pointed to the instrument. I just nodded. He picked it up and began to play. “Strangelove/ Strange highs and strange lows/ Strangelove/ That's how my love goes/ Strangelove/ Will you give it to me/ Will you take the pain/ I will give it to you/ Again and again/ And will you return it/ There'll be times/ When my crimes/ Will seem almost unforgivable/ I give in to sin/ Because you have to make this life livable/ But when you think I've had enough/ From your sea of love/ I'll take more than another river full/ And I'll make it all worthwhile/ I'll make your heart smile/ Strangelove/ Strange highs and strange lows/ Strangelove/ That's how my love goes/ Strangelove/ Will you give it to me/ Will you take the pain/ I will give it to you/ Again and again/ And will you return it/ There'll be day's/ When I'll stray/ I may appear to be/ Constantly out of reach I give in to sin/ Because I like to practice what I preach/ I'm not trying to say/ I'll have it all my way/ I'm always willing to learn/ When you've got something to teach/ And I'll make it all worthwhile/ I'll make your heart smile” I have to give it to him, his voice was enough to make any girl’s heart melt. Mine included. The fact it was one of my favorite songs just made it all the better.

“You’re voice.” Was all I could manage to say while clapping once he finished.

“Thanks.” He blushed going to set the guitar down.

“Awe come one. Play me another.” I pouted.

“Fine.” He set it back on his lap and started to play ‘Enjoy The Silence’. I moved close to him, rest my head on his right shoulder while he played. I watched the waved crash on the shore not 5 feet from where we were sitting listening to him sing. I’m convinced he really is an angel now. His voice is so perfect. I started to doze off. I felt he set the guitar down and slowly lean back holding me to him. I snuggled into his side moving my head to his chest. I fell asleep with the sound of his heartbeat and the crashing waves as my lullaby.

I’m not sure how but somehow I awoke in my room. The clock read 5:42. I didn’t to be up for another hour and 18 minutes. My guitar was sitting on it’s stand my note pad on my desk. Was last night just a dream? A delusion from lack of air? That’s when I noticed a folded piece of paper on the pillow next to me. ‘I’ll make it all worthwhile. I’ll make you heart smile.’ was the only thing written on it. I smiled and started getting ready for the day. Not like I’d be getting back to sleep anyway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please keep in mind this takes place in the mid 90s when cell phones weren't that popular.