‹ Prequel: New Moon's Love
Status: Complete!!!!

Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Chapter 14

I sat on a log at the beach, watching the waves roll in. The ocean always seemed to calm me. I breathed in the saltwater air, feeling the gentle spray of the mist on my face.

Tomorrow was the day the guys were all going to help protect Bella. I was worried sick. I didn’t know how long they were going to be gone and if they’d all come back.

I was drawn from my thoughts when someone sat close to me on the log. My head snapped to the side and I saw Jake. He was in a pair of jeans and tennis shoes and not even showing signs of being cold. I on the other hand, was wrapped in a coat, sweatshirt, jeans and rain boots and still shivering.

“You don’t have to do this Jake.” I whispered facing the ocean, but I knew he could hear me.

“I do, Maddie. I want to protect Bella.” I rolled my eyes and sighed.

“Never mind. I’m not going to argue when you bring her into this.” I stood up and began to walk towards the trail.

“Maddie.” Jake stood and grabbed my wrist.

“What? You’d rather die protecting someone who doesn’t even love you and hurt the people who do?”

“I love Bella. I’d rather die protecting the ones I love. And I know Paul would too.”

“Don’t bring him into this. This is between you and me.” I took a deep breath and yanked my arm out of his grip. “I’m scared Jake. I really am. I’m scared you’re going to get hurt, Paul is going to die like my parents and I’ll be left with no one.”

“Don’t say that. We will all be fine and we’ll come back and settle everything.” He grabbed my wrist gently and ran his warm fingers over the bite mark on my wrist. The skin was cold, even with Jake’s warm fingers over it. “I promise you I will take Riley and rip his head off. Just for you.”

I stared at the ground, trying to suppress the anger. “It doesn’t matter.” I spat at the ground.

Jakes grip on my wrist tightened. “Yes it does! He hurt my imprint and took her away and now she’s here, broken because of what he did.”

“I don’t get it. One second your telling me you’d die for someone who doesn’t love you and now you’re trying to defend me! I’d rather have Bella get what she deserves than have to give up the one thing that matters to me. Better yet, I’d rather have you die trying to protect something worthwhile than that worthless leech lover.”

Jacob looked like a kicked puppy. (A/N: No pun intended.) He dropped my wrist and pushed past me.

“I can’t believe you.” He murmured.

“Jake-“ I touched his shoulder, but he only shrugged it off and kept walking.

He kept walking until I couldn’t see him anymore. The tears fell freely, starting to mix with the drops of rain falling. I dropped to my knees and glared at the sand. I trembled from the cold air nipping my skin and from the anger coursing through my blood.

I was angry at myself and at Jake. I looked up at the cloudy sky and screamed at it. I didn’t feel any better since my teeth were now chattering.

I don’t know how long I kneeled there, glaring at the sand, getting soaked to the bone. My whole body was for sure numb now, but the pain in my heart kept me from feeling anything else. I barely felt the warm arms slip around my body, lifting me into the 108 degree brick wall that was Embry Call.

I barely felt the heat in the car with the three werewolves, taking me somewhere.

All I felt was the pain and humiliation at the fact that I had just ruined the chance of getting the trust back from the one that I love.
♠ ♠ ♠
For everyone who thought things were going to be okay and lovey-dovey between Maddie and Jacob, well you were wrong. Jacob still needs to get over Bella and his priorities in place and trust me. That moment will be coming soon. Like super soon. Like in the next chapter.