Status: Completed :)

Hidden in the Shadows

Chapter Two

March 1st, 2011
Tuesday
Milan and Raina’s Apartment, Boston, MA
10:30 A.M.

Raina woke up to her phone ringing next to her bed. She grabbed the phone and answered

“Hello?”

“Raina honey I’m standing outside your apartment come let me in.” Not recognizing the voice in her sleepy state she said

“Who is this?”

“Snezana,” confused Raina said

“I’ll be right down,” she hung up and slowly got herself out of bed. How did Milan’s mother get here from Vancouver? What was she doing? Raina walked down the steps feeling her body bend forward with the weight of her stomach. When she opened the door Snezana stood there holding several travel bags in her hand. She dropped them and came forward and hugged Raina.

“Snezana how’d you get here so fast?”

“Milan told me you were going dress shopping today so I couldn’t miss it, I had to come down and see you,” Milan’s parents came and visited her twice a month to see how she was doing. Raina hugged her back and said

“Ya, I’m going this afternoon, all my bridesmaids and stuff are coming too.”

“What about your mother?” Snezana knew Raina’s bad relationship with her mother. Raina tried not to let her mother get to her to much. She had tried to force Raina to do hat she wanted her to do. She had wanted Raina to go to college in California, marry a millionaire movie star, marry when she turned thirty, and have kids. Raina had done the exact opposite, she chose to go to college in Boston, married a hockey player (although Milan could have been considered rich with his salary he wasn’t exactly a millionaire), and she was marrying at the young age of nineteen. The last time she had spoken to her was a few weeks only with reply that she would be coming to the wedding.

“She’s not coming,” As her future mother-in-law Snezana had filled in the mother-role for Raina.

“It’s ok sweetie we’ll have tons of fun. I’ve waited for this day to help Milan’s fiancée pick out a dress,” she said dreamily.

“Come on in,” said Raina moving out of the doorway. She tried to help Snezana move some of her suitcases in but Snezana wouldn’t let her. Feeling useless Raina moved aside for her. “Did you have breakfast already?”

“Oh yes I stopped by Dunkin Donuts on the way over.” Raina heard the phone ringing again and said

“I’ll get that,” she picked up the phone in the kitchen and said

“Hello,”

“Raina is my mother there?” said Milan on the other side.

“Ya, she just got here,”

“I called her last night to tell her you were picking out a dress tomorrow and I tried to persuade her not to take the plane ride down but she did anyway.”

“Its fine, I’m happy,”

“So how was your sleep?”

“Ok,” she said

“What about you?”

“It was fine but I miss you,”

“I miss you too, what are you guys doing for the day?”

“I don’t know we’ll probably go walk around the city a bit, just chill out.”

“That’s good, I’m gonna go down to the bridal shop around 12:00, I’ll probably be there for a couple of hours, I know all the girls are going to fight over which dress I choose.”

“Just pick which ever one you like, and remember I don’t want to see it until you’re walking down the aisle.” She laughed and said

“Alright, well I’m gonna go get ready to go, it’s already 11:00,”

“Bye, I love you,”

“Love you too,” she said. After she hung up her and Snezana went upstairs with her luggage. She’d be sleeping in one of the two guest rooms. Milan and Raina had decided turning one of them into the nursery, and when the babies got older they’d make the other guest room into a nursery so they’d each have their own room. The color was to be green and Raina wanted to have professional painters come in and paint a cute wildlife scene on the walls. Snezana got comfortable in the room while Raina got dressed and ready for the day. She was meeting all the girls at the store. Snezana offered to drive and Raina let her, the store was Priscilla of Boston on Boylston St. A lot of the other wives had suggested it to her. Raina decided the first task was finding her dress, then the bridesmaids. When she pulled up she saw the girls waiting out front, Tatiana, Shelley, Rebecca who’d brought along Story to find a flower girl dress, Sheena, and Jasmiina. Katryna was away in Miami, partying no doubt and had told Raina to get her the dress.

“Hi guys,” said Raina when she walked up.

“Oh you’re absolutely glowing,” said Rebecca in excitement. “I hope they’re both girls,”

“I’ll be happy with whatever I get,” said Raina looking down at her stomach. Sheena said

“Are you scared?”

“A little,” said Raina, “I’m nervous about the pain,”

“You’ll be fine,” said Rebecca, “I had Story without the pain medication and it felt like hell. I got the epidermal with Noah, even though you’re legs will be numb it’s definitely worth it.” The girls went in and waited in a line for a woman to help them. A short blonde woman came over and said

“Hi I’m Amy, I’ll help you pick out the perfect dress,” Raina and the group followed behind Amy towards a large room where several mirrors lined the walls. Other women were there trying on dresses and it gave the room a friendly feeling. “How far along are you?”

“Five months,” said Raina.

“You’re big for five months,”

“I’m having twins,”

“Oh that’s so exciting! Do you know the genders?”

“Nope my fiancé and I are keeping it a surprise.”

“Are you marrying pregnant?”

“Yes, on April 5th,”

“We have a wonderful collection of maternity dresses; do you have any idea of what you’d like the dress to look like?”

“Something that compliments my new figure,” she said putting a hand on her enlarged belly, “Nothing to glitzy, and white.”

“Come with me to the dressing rooms, I’ll grab a few to see if you like them and you can try them on.” Raina left the girls out waiting for her and followed Amy into the back where a long row of dressing rooms were. “I’ll be right back,” Amy left for five minutes and came back holding three dresses in her arms. “I think you’ll like some of these,” she handed Raina the dresses and said “If you need help getting anything on just call me in I’ll be right here.” Raina went into the dressing room, shut the door and hung up the three dresses. She thought it was going to be a pain in the ass to get them on but when she put the first one on it slid on pretty easy. When she looked at herself in the mirror she thought the dress was to plain but went out to get the girls opinions. Amy led her out back to the bigger room. When she entered and stood up in front of the mirror she said

“Opinions ladies?”

“There needs to be more to it,” said Jasmiina

“I agree,” said Tatiana. “It’s too simple and plain, there needs to be more design,” Raina walked back into the dressing room, and slid on the next dress. She needed help pulling it on as it was slightly tighter than the last dress. Again, Raina was satisfied with the dress. It had enough design to it but she didn’t like how the top covered her shoulders completely like a short sleeved shirt. She walked out for their opinions again.

“What about this one? I don’t like the top much,”

“Neither do I,” said Rebecca.

“It doesn’t look formal enough,” said Snezana, “Its makes it look like your wearing a T-Shirt,” Again Raina went back to the dressing room and pulled on the next dress. She knew the moment she looked at herself that she had found the right dress. It was beautiful. It was tight up top, and loosely flowed over her belly. The chest part of was bordered with golden jewels, it was held up around her neck with a white tye. When Amy led her back out all of the girls gasped.

“It’s gorgeous!!” said Jasmiina.

“I love it so much,” said Snezana, “This is definitely the dress. What do you think?”

“It’s gorgeous, just what I wanted,” said Raina turning to get a full look at herself. Amy smiled and said

“Good, I’ll get the dress for you and you and your bridesmaids can start looking for bridesmaid dresses yourself.” Raina quickly changed back into her clothes. Amy gave Raina a full picture of the wedding dress she’d chosen so while searching for bridesmaid dresses she’d pick out dresses that matched her dress well. While searching through the rack Raina picked out a couple different dresses. When Amy came back to help her out Raina selected a nice white knee-length dress that had a sweetheart top. The waist matched her wedding dress as it had golden jewels lining it. When Rebecca, Tatiana, Sheena, and Shelley came out in the dresses everyone loved them. That was perhaps the easiest part of the day. The girls then split up, Snezana went off to find her won dress to wear to the wedding, Rebecca took Story to find a flower girl dress, and Tatiana, Shelley, and Sheena came along with Jasmiina and Raina to find a maid of honor dress. It took them an hour to find something that matched up with Raina’s dress and the bridesmaids dresses. They chose a white dress that looked very similar to Raina’s except the waist was tight, it was strapless, and instead of having gold jewelry lining the top of the chest it only lined under the chest. The bulk of what she had to get down was over, and Raina was exhausted. Amy brought out Raina all the dresses. Each bridesmaid took home their dresses, leaving Raina only responsible for her own dress which she’d have to hide from Milan.

Snezana drove home again. Pregnancy made Raina feel exhausted with tasks that hadn’t seemed so bad before. She was half asleep on the ride home and Snezana told her she’d take care of cooking dinner and Raina could sleep. When she walked through the door Raina put the dress carefully in her closet. It was inside a large clothing bag hiding it from view so Milan couldn’t see it. She also hid the box with the shoes she had chosen up on one of the shelves before getting into bed. She knew Milan would be back late that night but she couldn’t help letting her eyes close and falling asleep.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Raina's Wedding dress

Jasmiina's Maid of honor dress (With golden jewels below the chest, not silver.)

Bridesmaid dresses (Again, with golden jewels on the waistline not silver.)

Story's Flower girl dress