How I Met a Pirate

First Memory

"Well, it may seem a bit stupid to go back to when I was only a child, eight years of age, just turning nine, but that's when I discovered something about myself young ladies usually never find out about themselves. However, I was presented with a situation where it was necessary. It was the day before my ninth birthday...

It was a beautiful sunny day, I was so excited. It was clear skies today so that meant tomorrow would be beautiful for my birthday! I twirled around in my dress and grabbed my mothers hand.

"Mother, what time will everyone be coming over for my party tomorrow?"

"Not until later in the afternoon Darling, you still have lessons to attend to"

"Aw!"

"Don't pout!" My mother tutted.

"Why do I have to have lesson's on my birthday?" I mumbled.

"Stop mumbling Rose, ladies don't mumble"

I rolled my eyes and sighed, following my mother and father about town. We lived in Port Royal and my father worked for the Governor and my mother didn't work, she stayed in all day and taught me how to be a lady. I saw a few of my friends around town but didn't get to talk to them because my father wouldn't let me. My mother bumped into one of her friends and they got talking. My mother then introduced me to her friend and she scared me a little.

"Oh my! You've gotten so big! It's your birthday tomorrow as well eh? What age will you be my Love?" She asked.

"Nine" I blushed.

The woman seemed lovely and kind but I didn't know her, and she looked a little different from normal women. This woman wore normal dresses like everyone else, but she had a strange walk and her hair looked less groomed than other women.

"I don't care for myself as other women do as you can see" She said.

I jumped and clutched my mother's dress.

"My husband's out at sea so I have no reason to look good for the men here on land" She winked.

I smiled, her smile was warm and inviting.

"Caroline! Rosalyn!" My father shouted.

He sounded angry. My father marched up to us, his face reddened.

"How many times have I told you! I don't want you to be socialising with people below your rank, especially anyone related to the Carmichael's" My father snarled.

"James!"

"I don't care! I will not have you speaking to-"

"Don't you dare insult my friends, or embarrass me in public James"

"How dare you embarrass me by backchat! Learn your place woman" My father raised his hand.

"Daddy!" I shouted shocked.

My mother's friend pulled me back by my shoulders then pulled my mother back by her arm. My father didn't look like my father, he looked like a monster.

"Caroline, Rosalyn, I appologise for causing any problems. If your father wasn't such a prude he wouldn't be like this and would learn to accept others and learn he is no better than anyone"

"How dare you! I should have you arrested!"

"For what? Talking out of turn? I don't think so Darling, one day soon you will regret speaking to your wife and child the way you have and treating others the way you did!"

The woman turned to me and smiled, all the anger from her voice and her twisted angry face returned to her normal, kind and calm look.

"Have a great birthday dear, I hope your father doesn't ruin it for you"

"Oh Marie! Would you like to come? We are having a small party in my house if you'd like to come"

"That sounds lovely, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea"

"I insist" My mother said.

My father's face was beyond tomato red and I felt scared.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow"

Marie walked away and my mother turned to my father. They didn't speak but the look they gave each other was enough to show they weren't happy with each other. My father grabbed my mother's arm and dragged her through the street till we got to a carriage. My father forced my mother inside it then grabbed my arm roughly and pushed me in. I was scared, I hoped this wouldn't affect my birthday.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if you're not finding the story very good so far but it gets worse before it gets better xD

thanks for reading x