Status: Contest Entry

Sing Me To Sleep

Why did you do it?

~ ~ ~ Z ~ ~ ~

“Baby-”
“Don’t call me that.” I frowned.
“What’s wrong?” He looked angry and sad; did he think we were going too far?
“Who’s Neo?” I froze, his tone was furious and hurt, oh dear god please don’t tell me I moaned out his name.
“What? Why?”

“You moaned out his name, so obviously he wasn’t a dog who ran away, he’s the dog you kept behind my back. I cannot believe you! After all this time we’ve been together, you decide to cheat on me! I thought we…I thought…I loved you Zamian…” I snapped my head up and looked at the beautiful boy staring at me with tears in his sad, green eyes and I knew what the strong feelings I had for this boy were, love, but I was an idiot for not seeing it sooner.

“I love you too Ralan-”
“Then why did you do it? You know I had this nagging feeling deep down that you were hiding something from me, that you were lying to me…but I didn’t want to believe it.”

“I was, I wanted something more and I was a little scared of the feelings I had for you.”
“You wanted more? I gave you practically everything! I let you in, I told you all of my secrets, I let you kiss me and hold me when you wanted, and we almost did it! But no, you wanted more. You know you were always the weakest one.” I watched him walk around the couch and pull on his clothes.

“I know Ralan, I messed up big time, but I really don’t want to lose you like this.” With his hand on the doorknob, he turned to me.

“You filled me with your lies, you thought of another boy while you were with me, you kissed my lips while yours had already been tainted by another and yet you don’t want to lose me?”

“Please Ralan…”
“You deceived me, made me believe you were different. Made me believe you loved me-”
“But I do love you Ralan!”
“But not enough to stop you and it won’t be enough to save you.” He turned away from me and walked out the door, but not before, I saw his tears. As soon as his car was out of sight, I slumped to the floor and put my head in my hands.

“What have I done?”
* Next Day *

I sucked in a breath and knocked on the door. A tall woman with curly brown hair and brown eyes to match answered the door. She smiled warmly at me and ushered me in, I guess he hasn’t told his parents anything yet.

“I’m going out and Ralan’s father is at work, so you two will have the house to yourselves. Okay sweetheart, oh and Ralan’s in his room.” I smiled at her as she walked out. I walked down the hall and stopped at the familiar blue door that I helped paint and twisted the doorknob. I stepped inside.
“Ralan? Ralan I’m really sorry.” I flinched as the door slammed.

“Sorry isn’t good enough. Sorry won’t fix my broken heart.” I sighed and turned to face him. He looked amazing, as usual, but his eyes were different, his normally happy, shinning green eyes were dark and glinted with cold anger, like the knife in his right hand and the gun in his left. I backed away as he took a step closer to me.

“Wow…Ralan how bout you put the weapons down and we can talk.” He stepped closer and I backed away.

“How bout you tell me everything that happened behind my back? Tell me the reasons behind the lies…confess to me.” I ran a hand through my hair and sighed again.

“Ralan, I’m really sorry okay. It started at that party I asked you to go to that you refused to, I…this boy asked me to dance and dragged me to the dance floor before I could answer.” My voice was full of the sadness and regret I felt.

“Neo.” He said the name with so much venom and anger that he could have been a snake.

“Yes...Neo.” He glared at me with those eyes, the eyes I had loved to see shining with happiness. His lovely lips seemed to be set in a permanent frown.
“Keep talking, I want to know everything Zamian.”
“I- we…we kept meeting up at different parties…and we…”
“You what?” He growled.
“We would …kiss and…touch, but it didn’t mean anything, being with you meant so much more.”

“But obviously being with me didn’t mean enough for you to stay with me. Did you ever see him when you were with me?” My throat seemed to close a little, as if it wanted me to choke on my words.

“Y-yes Ralan, but I regret every second I was with him. Ralan I do love you, can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me?”

“I’ve got no room in this heart.”