Sequel: Ready to Start
Status: finished, but the story never ends. continuation soon.

Means the World

18.

It was a few days after the holiday and Elise was at the twins’ place. She was depressed. She could hardly get herself up. Fred brought her meals in bed. After the holidays, things had become very quiet. Mrs. Weasley cried every day because Percy stormed out of Christmas dinner. The whole Order was sad because of Anton’s death.

“She’s getting sicker every day, George. What can we do?” he asked.

“I don’t know; she refuses to come out.” George sighed.

There was an owl at the window. Fred opened it and took the letter. He opened it and read it.

Dear Miss Seymour;
We are saddened to inform you that your aunt, Laurel Seymour, has passed away. For legal proceedings, you are needed at the ministry of magic at the date and time below.


Fred groaned. “Christ, it just gets worse.”

“What gets worse?” Elise asked.

Fred showed her the letter, and she got paler. She nearly fainted. “Of course this would happen.” She murmured.

“Do you need someone to go with you?” Fred asked softly.
Elise nodded. “If you don’t mind.”

*~*~*~*
The next day they were at the Ministry in a courtroom. Fred sat in one of the seats, terrified.
Elise sat in the chair in the middle of the room.

“Miss Seymour, you resigned from your post as secretary of the Auror Department here at the ministry a few months ago. Why is that?” a juror asked.

“I got an offer to work for some old friends of mine; I found the work more interesting than being a secretary.” She said clearly.

“You currently work for Weasley Wizard Wheezes?”

Elise nodded. “Yes, I do.”
“Do you know why your father left his post a few months ago as well?” asked the juror.

Elise shrugged. “He was tired of working; he’s been a very unhappy man since my mother died. He moved back to France and died there.”

“Did your father have any business that would cause him to be murdered as so?”

Elise shook her head. “I know nothing; my father didn’t tell me a lot of things.”

The juror leaned in. “You do understand why your aunt died?”

Elise shook her head. “Really, I don’t.”

The juror cleared her throat. “Several years ago when your mother passed away, she made an unbreakable vow with your aunt. The promise was to protect your father, which she failed to do and later died.”

Elise choked back a sob. “I didn’t know that.”

"Do you know the cause of your mother’s death?”

Fred thought the questions were ridiculous. Elise was on the verge of crying.

“She died of that illness veela have.” She said. “The illness caused by unconditional love.”

The juror cleared her throat. “Clearly, she died of neglect…it’s also known for them to die when they are no longer needed.”

“I don’t see how this is relevant.” Elise hissed.

The juror sighed. “So the accounts of Mr. Anton Seymour and Ms. Laurel Seymour have been added to yours, plus the entire contents of their will. You are free to go, Miss Seymour.”

*~*~*~*

Fred and Elise were walking down Diagon Alley. It was empty. Many shops were closed except the Weasleys.

“I’m sorry you had to go through that.” Fred said quietly.

Elise clutched at the paperwork in her hand. “I can’t believe I’m all alone.”

Fred cocked his head. “What do you mean?”

Elise looked away. “My entire family is gone. I have no mother, no father, and no aunt. I’m all alone.” She said, bursting into tears for the first time in a week.

“You are not alone.” Fred said. “Trust me.”

“How?” she asked fearfully.

“You have me. You have George. You have our family. You’re as good as a daughter to my mum; she loves you.” Fred said.

“Your mum hates me for breaking up with you.” She reminded.

“Nah, she doesn’t. She’s always liked you. But you are a part of us, Elise. You’ll never have to be alone.” He said.

Elise dug her face into his shoulder. “Thank you, Fred.”

“I love you, you know that?” he asked quietly.

Elise looked up. “You always will, won’t you?”