Status: Active

His Royal Highness

LIGHT AS A FEATHER

Pitter patter, pitter patter.

Serenity. It was the perfect May rain. I walked the streets of London, the tapping of my feet challenging the noise of the rain. The chilliness of the air made me thankful of the large sweatshirt my friend Zak left behind at my apartment the other day. My umbrella kept me safe from the rain only so much. My shoes and the legs of my pants were lightly soaked. Why was I out in this God-awful weather? Kate Middleton, of course.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and I attended the same coeducational boarding school when we were growing up, Marlborough College. Though she was but four years older than I was, I looked up to her as a role model, and while I was quite mature for my age and very lovable to all, she accepted me following her and her friends about. Attending a boarding school was quite hard, so having someone older than me call me a friend, well, that gave me credibility and no one wants to mess with someone with credibility. While Kate graduated and went off to St. Andrews, I finished my schooling at Downe House, which was an all girls’ boarding school. Quickly I began my studies at University of Cambridge. Our lives became so busy that soon we never thought about getting around to calling each other for months at a time.

Of course, I knew her business. Everyone knew her business thanks to the paparazzi. She called me crying once about it. It broke my heart to hear her so upset. I called her the day after to see if she felt better, but she never answered. She didn’t call again for four months. We texted all the time though, but no one really wants to hold out an entire conversation for days on the same topic. I’m sure this is a common occurrence across the globe though. People must have at least someone’s number in their mobiles that they do not contact almost ever. It is human, I think.

Well, at any rate, two days ago, Kate called me asking what I was doing this week. I told her that I would be free two days from then and we scheduled a coffee date. I was quite excited about it; she was driving up to see me. I hadn’t seen her in forever. In April I was supposed to attend the wedding, however I had mountains in schoolwork I had ascertained during the Easter Term that I just could not manage putting a day off. She understood and at least received my wedding gift.

Rounding the corner, I quickly slipped into the Starbucks. I slid my umbrella into a “wet umbrella bag” so that it would not drip all over the place. Looking about, I spotted Kate sitting at a seat near the windows looking as stylish as ever. We waved at each other and I quickly got myself a coffee. Skinny Caramel Macchiatos were my life. My life I tell you. Quickly I scuttled over to Kate, the both of us squealing in excitement of seeing each other.

“Katie, I’ve missed you!” I hugged her tightly.

She wrapped her arms around me tightly as well. “Aer, it’s been such a long while!”

“Let’s not take forever to hang out again,” I said, smiling brightly.

We kissed cheeks before settling down in our seats. The conversation took off and we spoke about just everything we could think of. We had to have been there for hours, just laughing and going through coffee like no one’s business. I was surprised that there were not any cameras flashing or people attempting to eavesdrop on us. Her only response was a laugh and batting her eyelashes innocently at me. She was the same Catherine.

“Aerabelle, I have a question,” Kate spoke suddenly. She paused for a long while in thought.

“Well, out with it.” I smiled, sipping my beverage.

She looked up at the light fixture that hung above our heads shortly, her eyes slowly dropping to meet mine. “Are you happy? You seem, I don’t know. Maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about.”

“Happy?” I bit my lip, thinking about the word. “I’m content. I don’t know about happy. Where I am in life, I just feel that I’m living just to get through the day and if tomorrow ever comes, then I’ll deal with it. It’s almost as if I’m living just to live. No purpose.” I paused at my words. I laughed, “Oh god, Catherine, that’s it. I’m living without a purpose. How sad am I?”

“Aer, you’re not sad, and I know you, so before you say it, you’re not pathetic either. You’re just searching, maybe. That’s it, maybe you’re searching for your purpose.” She smiled, trying to be reassuring, but I still felt poignant. “You know, I know of a person who’s searching for his purpose as well. Maybe you two should meet and look for your purposes in life together?”

“I don’t know Kate. Maybe I’ll be better when school lets out for holiday. I’ll get some rest and just, relax. That’s all I need.” I sighed and ran my fingers through my bangs.

Kate was silent a moment, nodding. “Well you’ve deserved it. Cambridge has such a stressful workload. I don’t know how you do it. You’ll still be graduating with honors, won’t you?”

Smiling, I nodded my head slightly. “Yes, I will. When I receive my diploma, I’ll be so relieved. Then I’ll realize it was worth it all.”

She rested her elbows on the counter, setting her cheek against her folded hands. Kate was thoughtful for a moment. “Tell you what. When your next break comes up, come and stay with Wills and I at Clarence House.”

Image

As soon as I was finished with my Easter examinations, I traveled the hour and a half down to Clarence House. Kate had sent someone up to pick me up in an Audi A6. My parents were disappointed that I was not returning to Whitby this break, but I was inwardly relieved that I did not have to take the four-hour trip north.

The man sent to drive me was James. He was a kind fellow, very young, very handsome. The conversation was simple and quite dull. I’m sure he thinks I’m an idiot, but I can’t help it. Years at Cambridge have caused me to become socially inept when dealing with strangers. I can barely get through a shopping trip. Once someone asks those five words: how can I help you, it all goes downhill to Hell. I stutter, flush, and hightail my way to the opposite side of the store. It’s quite dramatic. So, when the conversation between James and I diminished, I quickly faked passing out, soon actually falling into a slumber.

It wasn’t long until James woke me up as we were about to drive through the gates to Clarence House. The experience was amazing. Seeing myself being driven up to the home of royalty was something from a dream.

“James, pinch me please.”

He laughed at me.

Image

“This is your room, I hope you like it!”

Kate was the only one home now besides the maids, butlers, and other house staff. William wouldn’t return until tomorrow and Harry was supposed to arrive for dinner time. This was so surreal. The room I was staying in was large, stylish, and in some parts, a bit gaudy for my taste, but I loved it all. Quickly I went over and sat down on a loveseat.

“Katie this is so fantastic! I’m so glad I came here,” I breathed out, falling over sideways across the seat. I took my hat off and fanned my face. “I’ll be so sad when I have to leave.”

She laughed, running her fingers through her hair. “If you ever need anything, there’s always someone walking the halls so don’t be afraid to stop them and ask if you can’t find me. They all know you’re here.”

Kate left after a bit to attend to a phone call. Meanwhile I wondered around. I openly admired the paintings and furniture, all of the décor. It was fabulous. Soon I found myself on the main floor, completely and utterly lost. Trying not to panic, I walked around, searching for the front door. There had to be someone by the front door. Rounding the corner, I found someone.

“Excuse me, could you help me find…” I trailed off, not really knowing how to address Kate now. “The Duchess of Cambridge?” My face lit up ablaze, embarrassed.

The man was old, his facial hair grayed and trimmed neatly. He wore a clean black suit and wore a friendly face. “Of course miss.”

It was silent as he led me through the hallways. I didn’t know when they would end. After climbing a flight of stairs, he motioned to a room, claiming that he had last seen her there. Faintly I could hear her voice as well as someone else’s.

Thanking him, I approached the door and gave a knock. The talking stopped for a moment, ending in a mumble. “Come in,” Kate’s voice called out.

Opening the door slightly, I stuck my head in, smiling. “Sorry if I’m interrupting.”

“Not at all! This is perfect. We were about to get you for dinner. Aer, come in.” Kate waved for me to come in. Sliding through the slight opening I’d made, my eyes drifted, stopping upon the handsome face of the rogue royal I had only seen in papers. “Harry, this is my friend Aerabelle. We’ve known each other for years. Aer, this is Harry.”

My face turned tomato red. I raised my hand over my mouth to keep them from seeing my slackened jaw. Taking a moment to compose myself, I did an improvised mix between a curtsy and a bow. “It’s very nice to meet you, Your Highness.” Looking up, I saw his face contort slightly and I instantly paled. Way to go, Aerabelle. Way. To. Go.

Suddenly, he laughed, standing up. He swiftly approached me and held out his hand. “I’m glad we’ve finally met Aerabelle. Kate's been bragging to Wills and I about how lovely you are. Call me Harry.”

Taking his hand, I suddenly felt my insecurities disappear and laughed with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aerabelle [ 1 ] [ 2 ]

Kate [ 1 ] [ 2 ]

Harry [ 1 ]