Status: Active

His Royal Highness

40 DAY DREAM

Dinner was sweet and yet awkward. It was mostly Kate trying to get Harry and me to talk to each other by bringing up something I’ve done. Harry, in turn, would ask me questions about it because he was a gentleman. I don’t mind talking about myself – everyone enjoys talking about themselves – but I felt quite plain in Harry’s presence. He’s done so much in his life and become so successful and what have I done to set myself apart from the rest? I’m attending a stressful university with a low percentage acceptance rate where I participate in the occasional school club and I work as a secretary at a small, nameless law firm near the university. Someone kill me.

We finished dinner and Kate left us alone, saying that she had to call William. Please, someone kill me. Kate used to do this when we were younger. Whenever there was a boy around, she would get the three of us together and then suddenly she would disappear. Years later, this was her same strategy. I need to remember to tell her later that her playbook needs rewriting. I mean, yes, I’ve always had a celebrity crush on the young prince and I appreciate her efforts, but seriously. I don’t see why Kate thinks I have a chance with him; doubt we have anything in common.

As I was about to excuse myself, I caught Harry staring. “Yes, Harry?”

“I was just curious, but are you seeing anyone?”

I bit my lip, totally embarrassed. Where was this coming from? I laughed softly. “That’s a bit personal, but no, it’s been a long while since I last dated.”

He was quiet for what seemed like hours, but were mere minutes. Slowly, he formed a small smile. “My apologies. Let’s have dessert together in the garden. How does chocolate ice cream sound?” Not knowing how to respond, I nodded, getting up from my seat. “Unless, would you like vanilla instead?”

“No, no. Chocolate’s my favorite,” I replied, smiling.

“Good, it’s mine as well.” My heart fluttered, but this was by no means a solid basis for any form of relationship.

He waved his hand for me to follow him and he led us out to the garden. We sat at a little glass table. Soon, two ice cream bowls were brought out with three scoops of chocolate each. Harry immediately dug in, leaning back in his seat relaxing.

Slowly, I dug into mine as well. I took my time to enjoy the delicious chocolate. I hadn’t had ice cream in a long while. I let my mind wonder, humming quietly to myself. What was Harry thinking right now? Did he think I was silly? Awkward? Yes. Both, more than likely. I sighed, shutting my eyes and tilting my head back.

“Aerabelle, what do you plan on doing after your schooling’s done?” he asked.

“E-excuse me?” I turned my head to look at him so fast I almost gave myself whiplash. “I… Could you repeat that?”

He laughed, running his hands back and forth through his hair, teasing it. “I wanted to know what you’re going to do after university.”

“Go home to Whitby,” I deadpanned, blinking at him.

“Well, I could figure that much,” he laughed again, smiling wide. “What about work wise? What do you plan on doing the rest of your life?”

“Honestly, I haven’t thought that far. Sorry.”

“What are you apologizing for?” he asked, a perplexed expression on his face. “You know, you can sort of be a silly eejit, no offense.” He smiled, showing his was only kidding, slightly. I was always told that there was some truth behind every “just kidding” spoken. My face burned. I’m positive if my face became any hotter, I’d start sweating. Instead of spitting out another apology, I kept my mouth shut and looked straight ahead of me at the fountain. This was going badly; very badly.

“Well, I’ll let you know if I ever need a position filled with Sentebale.”

Turning to look back at him, I smiled faintly. I didn’t think I heard him right. “I would really appreciate that. Thank you.”

Getting up, Harry stretched and looked down at me. “I don’t know if Kate’s told you, but I’m playing in a charity match tomorrow and you two’ve been invited with William. See you then?” Smirking, he turned and walked off.

When I was sure he was gone, I sank into my seat, sighing. I felt like deflating. “Aerabelle. He’s a normal person. Stop acting like a fish out of water.”

Oh, he gets to me. Prince Harry totally gets to me.

Image

“Catherine, I felt so silly! He – the Prince – called me an eejit! An eejit. My life is over. I’m completely devastated.” I fell back onto my bed, curling into a ball.

“Stop being a ninny. Harry told me he thought you were quite attractive.” Kate continued looking through my clothes. She was helping me dress for the charity polo match.

“Pretty and without brains. Brilliant,” I cried, throwing my arms across my face.

Kate stopped rummaging through my clothing. Peeking through my arms, I was suddenly attacked by fabrics. “People who attend the top university in the world are not idiots. You know Aer, you’re a lot more dramatic than I remembered you being.”

“Oh Katie, haven’t you realized I haven’t matured yet?” My sarcastic comment earned me a look. “Sorry.”

She giggled and shook her head. “Aerabelle, I think there’s something wrong with you. Now get dressed. Wills is waiting for us.” Leaning over she kissed my forehead and walked out the door.

I put on the clothes she’d thrown on me. I trusted Kate’s sense of style for the most part. There were times where I thought she was crazy, but overall, I think to an event like this, she wouldn’t lead me astray. Quickly I made my way down and out the doors, the door attendant greeting me as I dashed past. I got into William’s car and we headed off.

“Aerabelle, it’s good to see you again.” He smiled at me through the rearview mirror. I smiled back at him.

Leaning forward from my seat in the back, I kissed his cheek. “It’s good to see you too Wills. Glad to see you haven’t changed too much.”

“So I hear you and Harry have had a chance to meet, finally,” he commented.

My face headed up quickly. “Katie…”

“What? He’s my husband. I tell him everything.” She turned around, smiling charmingly.

I adjusted the hat on my head. “Fair enough, but I thought girl talk stayed girl talk.”

“It is; just think of Wills as one of the girls.”

William turned his head to stare down Kate. “Pardon me?”

Kate smiled. “You heard me.”

“I’ve never met a balding woman before,” I quipped.

“Oh honestly, et tu, Aer?”

Kate shook her head and rolled down her window.

Smiling to myself, I looked out the window, enjoying the scenery.

“Anyway, anyway – Aerabelle – do you enjoy polo?” William’s eyes flickered up to the rearview to meet mine.

“Yes, I’ve always enjoyed it. My father took me to my first game.”

“Good. You know Harry loves the sport; real fanatic.”

And, I felt my face turn red for the umpteenth time. “You two are the perfect pair. Why do you keep pushing the subject of Harry on me anyway? He’s got his girlfriend.”

It immediately became dead silent in the car until Kate cleared her throat. “Actually, Chelsy and Harry’ve called it quits. Short story, he asked her to marry him again and well… I think he said she didn’t want any part of his life. He’s really torn up over it.” I didn’t know what to say. He seemed like a normal, happy person yesterday. If I had to, I would have never guessed he was upset, or hurting.

William spoke up, “We want my brother to be happy.”

“Yes, and I want you to be happy as well, Aer.” Kate smiled at me, holding her hand out for me to take.

“We both do,” William added. “You two could make each other happy maybe.”

Sighing, I reached and took her hand. “Thank you, both of you, but I don’t think Harry’s interested.”

“You never know. You need not be nervous around him. He isn’t so special,” William joked, making both Kate and I laugh. “Really, I think you two can help each other.”

“Easy for you to say, future king.” I shook my head slightly.

Image

“Go Harry!” William called out, clapping his hands and standing up. Kate and I, on the other hand, sat down and chatted about nothing in particular, cheering every so often when Harry or his teammates scored, or well, attempted to score.

We had arrived just in time for the match, no-thanks to William’s recently picked up grandmotherly driving. The drive was filled with conversation about Harry; things like where he loved vacationing, his interests, his likes and dislikes. I never thought I would know so much about Harry in such a short time.

“And team Sentebale wins, 6-4.”

Jumping to our feet, Kate and I cheered with William and headed over to the winner’s circle. Once Harry and his team were awarded their trophy, everyone who was VIP headed to the reception tent for brunch. This was so strange to me, but exciting none-the-less. I was mingling with celebrities and other polo players like the handsome Ignacio Nacho Figueras. He was such a charmer.

“So you and Prince Harry are quite good friends then?” I asked, my smile never leaving my lips. I was attempting not to be star struck, but it was so difficult.

“Quite so, aren’t we man?” The redhead himself approached us, clapping a hand to Nacho’s shoulder in a friendly gesture. “Aerabelle, good to see you’re getting along well. Did you enjoy the game?”

Nacho excused himself as his wife waved him over to talk to someone.

“Yes, I did. You played quite nicely that last chukka.” I gave him a smile and he smiled right back.

“Harry, get over here! We’ve got champagne to tend to!” One of his teammates waved at Harry.

Tucking my hair behind my ear, I took a step back. “I’ll see you at the house then.”

Laughing lightly, he stepped back as well. “Of course.”

The next two hours we were there, Harry was busy talking to someone or another. Occasionally I would sneak glances at him, but that was all I’m afraid.

Image

“William, I’m trying to read my book and enjoy tea time. What are you pacing about for?” I eyed him over the top of the book I held in my hand. I reached for the plate of shortbread cookies and held it out to him. “Here, have something to nibble on. You’re making me nervous.”

“My apologies. Maybe you can help me.” I sighed, closing my book. “I’m trying to find a way to tell Kate I’m leaving to Kenya tomorrow night.”

“And why are you going to Kenya?”

“Royal duties,” he said as if it were simple.

“Well, how about you just tell her up front, or ask her to go with you? I don’t see what the big deal is. You’re making a mountain out of a molehill.” Shaking my head, I opened my book up again.

He sighed, running his hand over his face. “It’s just, I can’t ask her to come along. You’re our guest here, unless, you’d like to come along?”

“I don’t think that’d be appropriate if I went. I can just go home to Whitby and return when you both come back.” The idea of going to Kenya was so enticing to me, but the thought of being on a plane made me want to vomit.

“I couldn’t ask that of you. I’ll talk to Kate then. We’ll let you know at dinner.”

“William, you’re so strange!”

Quickly, he left the library, leaving me in peace. If you knew William on casual turns, you would find that he’s more awkward than the world really knows.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aerabelle [ 1 ]
Kate [ 1 ]

Hi everyone! I'm terribly sorry that it took longer than just the two days to update. I started to write the second chapter and Aerabelle just started to seem like a whiny little bint throughout the whole chapter so I rewrote the whole thing. I had imagined ending this chapter differently, but I still have the same results. My apologies if the ending bit sounds like slop. I'll let you know if I can figure out a way to change it. Toodles.