To Save Democracy

Blue Ambiance

His efforts were not superior, for in inception he was scarcely eighty-five thousand strong, and that stood but a slight portion of his allies’ might. Though, such set was indifferent to him for from his heart and from his head was a recollection of a champion, a hero, merely because he was the spirit of America.

In the beginning it felt queer to him to be restrained, calmed; yet he never was ardent towards the affairs lacking his own, but, surely, it was inevitable to enter in a war called Great. Though, he did not expect that even his youthfulness and high fortitude would become tarred when he repaid Lafayette.¹ It was war, its blight and baneful nature was assured, but its form was in an unimaginable round.

Once he believed it was for a greater cause, something gratifying and romantic, but it dried and left a hollow sensation of query; and, in attempt to reassure, his boss fed him explanations. He felt hesitant about what he was told, yet he thought quietly and to his own. It was a necessity, his head began to agree; it was the war to end war—to make the world safe for democracy.
♠ ♠ ♠
1. when he repaid Lafayette: Referring to the Marquis de Lafayette, a French officer who had come to aid General Washington fight against the British in the American Revolution. During World War I Lieutenant Colonel Stanton spoke on behalf of General Perishing at the end of the march through Paris, which was the sight of Lafayette’s tomb, and at the end of his speech he exclaimed: “Lafayette, we are here!”