Status: Active

Samantha

Mari and Sam

“Now, Samantha,” Aslan said after Peter left the tent. “Are you ready to begin training?”

“Excuse me for being rude,” I responded. “But training for what?”

“To help get rid once again of the White Witch, of course,” Aslan replied.

“I do not think I’m ready to do something such as try to kill a being so powerful,” I responded.

“But I,” Aslan started, “think that you are.” I just stood there, not knowing what to say. “I happen to know that you, my dear, have been involved in archery for the past ten years.”

“Yes, but…”

“And that your father has helped you and your older sisters with sword training since you were eight.”

“Yes, but…”

“And that your grandmother has taught you proper healing in case of an emergency.”

“Yes, but…”

“Then what is the problem?”

“Nothing, your majesty,” I said with a sigh, giving up. “Nothing, at all.”

“Meet me here tomorrow at dawn,” Aslan said. “And we shall begin with your training.”

“Yes, your Majesty,” I said.

As I turned to leave, Aslan said, “And get something to eat. You haven’t eaten since you left.”

“Yes, Aslan,” I replied. With that, I walked out of the tent. And waiting outside, was Peter Pevensie. “Peter?” I said. I was surprised to see him still here.

“Samantha,” he simply said. “Are you ready?” I simply nodded. We started to walk back to the castle. How I wish I had my shoes. The snow was deadly cold on my bare feet.

We had not spoken until we reached the castle. We entered in silence and walked to our rooms. “Samantha,” Peter said before I could get into my room. “Would you like to come and talk with Lucy, Edmund, Susan, and I?”

“Of course,” I said. I shut the slightly open door and walked to Peter. He opened the door and gestured for me to enter before him. I walked in to see Lucy, Edmund, and Susan there already.

“Hello, Samantha,” Lucy said.

“Hello,” Edmund and Susan said together.

“Hello,” I replied. “So. What are we to be doing today?”

“We were thinking of going riding,” Edmund said. “Would you like to join us?”

“Of course,” I said. Suddenly, my stomach made an awful noise. I put my hand to my stomach and blushed.

“But,” Peter started, “let’s get some breakfast, first.”

We walked out the door and walked down a hallway and down a couple of flights of stairs. Before I knew it, we were in the kitchens. “So, Samantha,” Susan said. “What would you like this morning?”

“It does not really matter,” I replied.

“Blueberry pancakes it is, then,” Edmund said with a smile. I smiled back. He was reading my mind.

We walked out of the kitchen and into the dining room. There, already awaiting us, were plates with blueberry pancakes on them in front of five chairs.

I sat down on one side of the table, with Susan sitting on front of me, Edmund sitting on the right of Susan, Lucy sitting on the left, and Peter sitting on my right. We started eating.

“So Samantha,” Susan said. “What’s your family like?”

“Well,” I started. “I have a father who is employed as a blacksmith, my brother, Noah, and three sisters. Mari, the oldest, is twenty-two and works by sewing and selling the clothes she makes. Julie and Jessica, the twins, are nineteen, and work by selling the food they grow at the market.”

“What about your mother?” Lucy asked, which received an elbow to the rib from Susan. “Ow!” Lucy exclaimed. “What was that for?”

“It is quite all right, Susan,” I said. “My mother died when I was ten.” By now, I was looking down at my plate.

“Oh my,” Susan said. “You poor thing.”

“Is there anything we can do?” Peter asked.

“No,” I said. “You have done enough. The past is the past. No use in looking back on it now.”

By the time I was finished with my story, everyone was done eating. Peter seemed to notice this, as well, for he said, “So. How about we start riding, then?” Everyone agreed and went to their individual rooms to get ready.

After everyone was finished, we all met up downstairs, and walked to the glorious handmade stables. “Pick a horse,” Susan said when we got there. I walked around, looking at the beautiful creatures before me. Though, one in particular caught my eye. It was a beautiful white mare, with the tag on her stall reading ‘Starlight’.

“How about this one?” I asked.

“Ah,” Susan said. “Starlight. She’s one of my personal favorites.” I saw Maggie, Susan’s horse, give Susan a nudge in the shoulder. “Don’t worry, girl,” Susan said as she rubbed the black creature’s nose. “You are, as well, one of my favorites.”

After everyone got on their horse, we started trotting through the forest. I was ahead of the group. I was looking back to the others when, all of a sudden, Starlight got on her hind legs, and made me fall off, making me yelp in surprise.

“Samantha!” I heard Peter exclaim. I was on my back, looking up at the trees above me. “Samantha!” Peter said again as he knelt down beside me, the others on his trail.

“Are you alright?” Lucy asked once she got there.

“Fine,” was all I said. Susan and Edmund helped me to my feet.

“What happened?” Edmund asked.

“I don’t know,” I replied. “Maybe something scared her.”

“What do you think it was?” Peter asked.

“Is it possible that it could’ve been me?” We all turned around to see a girl with shoulder length brown hair leaning against a tree, her arms over her chest.

“Mari!” I screamed. I ran over and embraced my eldest sister. “What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I thought I would give my baby sister a visit,” she said.

“But,” I started. “It is dangerous. You should not be here.”

“And neither should you,” she said back. We were keeping our voices down so that the others could not hear.

“Father has sent me here to require help fro Noah,” I responded. “I have already talked to Aslan…”

“Good,” Mari said, cutting me off. “Then your job is done. Now, we must leave.”

“Why are you rushing, Mari?” I asked.

“Because,” she answered. “Just because.” She had started to tug on my arm.

“I’m not leaving,” I said.

“And why not?” she asked, hands on her hips.

“Because,” I started. “Aslan needs me here. I’m to help defeat the White Witch.” I instantly covered my mouth. I did not know if I was aloud to tell someone such details.

Mari looked at me, eyes wide. “Well then,” she said, face going back to normal, arms dropping. “That’s all I needed to know.” With that, she turned and ran away.

“What was that about?” Peter asked, walking over to where I was.

“I have no idea,” I replied. We got on our horses and started riding again.

Meanwhile…

Mari slowed down to a walk. Suddenly, an icy carriage passed her, nearly running her over. The carriage stopped and out came the White Witch herself.

“Mari,” the Witch said simply.

Mari replied in the same simple tone, “Jadis.”

“What have you figured out?” Jadis asked.

“Aslan’s going to try and destroy you.”

“Why am I not surprised? Now, tell me about this one called Samantha. Is she strong?”

“Very. Aslan may start helping her train any day now. That would make her even stronger.”

“Then we must stop her.”

“We?” Mari asked, perplexed. “No! I gave you the information which you wished for. Now, leave me out of it.”

“Do you,” Jadis started, “or do you not wish your brother well?”

“Of course,” Mari replied.

“Then you will do as I say. And don’t tell a soul of this. Do you understand me?” There was a tone in the White Witch’s voice that frightened Mari, so she didn’t reply. “I said do you understand me?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Now, let’s get back. We have a lot of work to do.”

With that, Mari got into the icy carriage and rode to the castle in which Jadis lives.

Back to Samantha…

I was almost back to the stables with Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy. We put up our horses and walked back into the castle.

“So,” Susan said as we were walking through the halls. “That was your sister, then?”

“Yes,” I replied. “But I do not know how she has even gotten here. It took me well over a month.”

“Let’s leave that for later,” Edmund said. “And get some lunch.”

“Is food all you think about?” Susan asked.

“Yeah,” he said with a shrug of the shoulders. “Pretty much.”

“All right,” Peter said. “Let’s go have some lunch, then. What would you like to eat, Sam?” I did not reply.

‘Sam,’ I thought. My mother used to call me Sam all the time. But she was the only one that did. I suddenly saw a hand being waved in front of my face, brining me back.

“Samantha,” Peter said.

“What?” I replied. “Oh. Sorry.”

“Do you have a problem with that?” Peter asked.

“With what?” I responded.

“Us calling you Sam,” Lucy said.

I thought for a moment. “No,” I said. “That would be fine.”