Status: Check out the sequel ;D

Love Letters to Write Before I Die

the difference between the same person

When Nathan turned around with his mind preoccupied, he nearly dropped his bag because he thought he was dealing with a floating bouquet of flower. For a shocking minute or two, he kept staring at the explosion of bold colors in front of him.

“…I can’t see the way so I got lost while trying to find your room again and…this is quite heavy.”

“What?” Nathan said, his mind still fazed but when he snapped to, he almost slapped himself and took the flowers to reveal a very red-in-the-face Haley. He placed it at the foot of the bed he was leaving behind and stared at it.

“It’s quite extravagant,” he said, not knowing what to say.

“I can’t make up my mind.”

He chuckled. “Obviously. So what’s this supposed to be? A goodbye present?”

“Goodbye?” Haley said sounding so horrified Nathan wondered if he just described a psychopath disemboweling his victims before eating their guts raw. Her emotions eventually turned to dismay when Nathan shrugged.

“I don’t like farewells,” she said.

“Oh hell, Haley,” Nathan answered. “It’s not as if I won’t be here again.”

“I do hope it’s not anytime soon,” she said, frowning. “At least, nothing too serious.”

They stood there awkwardly in silence before Nathan broke the silence, scratching the back of his neck. “Thanks for the flowers, by the way.”

“You’re welcome.”

“But next time, at least get me something edible.”

Before Haley could retort, he raised his hand up to stop her. “So let me take you out of here for the night and treat you to a real dinner. It would be amazing if you’re not bored with the cafeteria food in this hospital.”

She was so taken aback that she felt as if her range of vocabulary suddenly degraded into that of a 1-year-old. He was being nice. He was rarely nice to her. Sometimes she was scared to approach him in the first place because he seemed to hate her company.

“I…I don’t go out on a school night,” she said.

“It’s 7 p.m., Haley. I think you can manage to spend an hour or two longer with me,” he said, raising his eyebrow. His eyes determined and set, as if trying to say “I won’t take no for an answer.”

“Sure, I guess. I have to inform my parents first though.”

------

“I have been noticing this all day and it’s been bugging me so I’m just going to come out and say it.”

“What is it?” Nathan inquired, a tinge of impatience stained his voice.

“You’re not like yourself today,” she said. “It’s just weird.”

“I’m not a completely arrogant asshole, Haley,” he said, rolling his eyes. “If I like having you around, then I like having you around,” he said, shrugging before smirking slightly as he mumbled into his cup, “even if you’re annoying.”

“There’s the Nathan I know,” Haley said, squinting her eyes and pointing her spoon towards him accusingly.

“It’s not necessarily bad,” he said, his smirk still plastered across his face. “At least you have a voice. It’s refreshing.”

They finished their dinner and when Nathan looked at the check, he fished out the contents of his pocket and paid for the meal. Haley was the first to get up from her seat and as she walked towards Nathan, waiting for him, she saw that there was a familiar paper. It was scrunched up and it fell on the floor.

She crouched down and clasped her fingers around it. She didn’t saw much of the contents but she did recognize the slightly cursive handwriting on the top of the paper. And she could’ve sworn her heat skipped a beat or two.

Nathan looked at her hands, his eyes flooded with recognition. “Oh, that’s mine. Must’ve fallen out of my pocket.”

Haley’s lips and throat were dry, her veins seized by fear. She calmed herself down as she handed Nathan back the letter. “Keeping scraps in your pocket?” She said.

“It’s…a letter,” he said, shrugging. “Interestingly enough, the person who sent it to me shares the same name with you. Haley,” he said, emphasizing her name so much that she felt shivers ran down her spine. Whether it was fear or guilt or something else, she wasn’t sure.

“That’s…an epic coincidence,” she said.

“I know right? She reminds me of you sometimes. Only, you’re just less annoying and persistent.”

“Oh shut it,” she said, giving a small laugh.

The situation was ridiculous, she thought, feeling as if her heart was beating wildly in her throat.

“She can’t be that bad, can she?”

He shrugged.

“I hate her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are always appreciated ;D
Thanks for reading :)