Sandcastles

three

The night was going better than I had ever predicted. Everyone was hitting it off much better than I ever anticipated, and it appeared that each of the girls had paired themselves up with each of the guys. Sara and PKane had left the dance floor long ago, and I hadn't seen any sign of them since. Christine was getting rather cozy with Shaprie, and the mere sight of them was making me smile. Then you had Erin and Corey, who seemed to be deep into some sort of conversation that I wasn't sure if either of them would ever snap out of it. Johnny had accompanied me to the bar, where we had been for the past forty minutes mostly people watching and trying to get a handle on one another.

"Event planning. Is that really that interesting?" Jonny asked, still not fully convinced that I loved my job more than anything in the world.

"You'd be surprised," I answered, flashing a smile before taking a sip of my drink. "I guess I just love that fact that nothing is ever the same. Every event I plan is different. There maybe three weddings on the same day, but they all have different themes, colors, or...specifications. I like change."

Tazer nodded at me before glanced back to the two couples that were still perched on the couch. "I can understand that. I think that's part of the reason that I love hockey so much. No two games are ever the same."

"And you're amazing at it." I spat, not really meaning to. I could feel the heat rise in my face as I looked up to Jonny, who was now smiling my way.

"You've noticed?" I could see the smirk pulling at the ends of his lips.

"Well....I've..." Before I could answer, I felt someone throw their arm around me. To my surprise, PKane and Sara had found their way back from the dance floor. I was expecting it to be Sara slung over my shoulder, but to my surprise, it wasn't. Laughing, I shook my head slightly at my best friend, who had the largest grin plastered on her face that I had ever seen. "Did you to have fun?" I questioned, glad for a subject change. I didn't feel like it was appropriate to tell Jonny that I almost never missed a Blackhawks game, or could probably tell him exactly how many point he had in the last season.

"We did," Sara chimed, looping her arm with Kaner's. I was a bit surprised at her willingness to be so close to him, especially after just recently breaking up with Phil, but I was in no place to say anything. Besides, they made one of the cutest couples I had ever seen. "And I think I'm going back to Patrick's tonight. Did you know that they're staying in the same hotel?" She seemed a little too excited about that fact, but I just laughed and shook my head. I had no idea that members of the Blackhawks were shacking up the same place we were, and I had a feeling this wouldn't end well for me. "We're going to go now," Sara announced, lacing her fingers with Patrick and starting towards the door. I noticed a subtle wink from PKane to Toews.

"Bye," I waved, shaking my head slightly as they walked away.

"And now I'm homeless for the night," Jonny chuckled, taking a swig of his beer.

"What do you mean?" I looked after the two as they vanished from view before turning back to him, obviously looking concerned.

Jonny laugh, shaking his head. "I just know Kaner. We're rooming together. Terrible move on my part." He finished his beer before standing up and stretching out.

Biting my lip, I let things turn over in my mind. The past few hours I had spent just sitting and talking to Jonny had cheered me up more than the entire day I had spent with my girls, mostly because he listened to everything I had to say without an objective eye. He didn't know David, other than what I had said, and gave an unbiased opinion that was so greatly needed. "You can room with me tonight," I blurted out before I knew what I was saying.

Before I knew it, we had closed our tabs and started to walk down the street. Thank goodness the bar was within walking distance from the hotel. Then again, maybe that wasn't a good idea. Alcohol had a terrible habit of going ot my head a lot quicker than it should, and my walking wasn't exactly...stable. I felt myself stumble a little bit and before I knew it, Jonny's arm was around my waist, holding me steady. "I'm sorry. Alcohol really messes with my motor skills," I laughed lightly, wrapping my own arm around his waist.

"It's alright. Good thing we don't have far to go," Toews smiled at me. We continued to walk in silence, but it was a comfortable silence, something I hadn't felt in a long time.

Once we reached the hotel, the elevator carried us to the eighth floor, where my room sat empty. I opened it slowly before flipping on the light and walk inside. "I'm sure your room is nicer, and I'm sorry about the mess." I looked around and noticed that the room was a total disaster from where Sara and I had gotten ready earlier. Her bed was piled high with her clothes, as well as mine.

"It's fine," he chuckled, taking a seat on the bed like it was his home. I didn't mind in the slightest, and walked over to the window slowly, wanting to get a look at the ocean below. The view was even more gorgeous than I remember. I felt a hand rest on my shoulder as I stood there, and turned to see Toews standing next to me. "This view is gorgeous. We have a villa, but the view is nothing like this."

"But I bet your room is beautiful," I chimed, sliding the door open and stepping out onto the balcony. The sweet salt air was refreshing, and was slowly cleansing my mind of the alcohol I had consumed earlier that night. I could feel Johnny follow me outside where he stood next to me, shaking his head.

"We're guys. Beautiful rooms aren't really something we care about." He shrugged before looking at me. I turned my head to let me eyes meet his. The moonlight sparkled off of them in a way I couldn't explain, but I also couldn't keep a smile from forming on my lips. He turned back to the ocean, but I didn't take my eyes off of him. He was even handsome in his profile.

"Wanna have some fun?" And with that, he grabbed my hand, and we were off.