Have Faith in Me

Welcome to the Family

“Rachel!” Brian yelled as he came into the back lounge. I looked up from my laptop, curled up on the couch next to Matt.

“What do you want, Brian?” I asked.

“First off, Matt, out.”

“Why do I have to leave?” Matt demanded, tightening his hold around me. Matt and I had been hanging around with each other everyday after we made it official which had been around 2 weeks ago.

“Because I need to talk to our dear photographer in privacy.” Matt tossed a glare at Brian as he kissed my cheek and walked away.

“What exactly do you need to talk to me about that Matt needs to leave the room?” I inquired, raising an eyebrow. Brian sat down next to me.

“It’s about a surprise for Matt,” he started. I looked at him curiously.

“What kind of surprise?”

“Well, he’s told us a couple of times when we’ve gone out for drinks how much he loves your singing voice. He’s talked about maybe asking you to come out on stage to sing with him but he knows you’d say no.”

“What are you getting at, Gates?”

“Well the guys and I were wondering if you’d help us surprise Matt by coming out on stage to do a song. Maybe Welcome to the Family or something.” I hesitated, biting my lip.

“I don’t know…”

“Please, Rachel?” Brian begged. “It’d mean a lot to Matt not to mention the rest of us think you’re awesome out on stage.” I glanced at his pleaded brown eyes and sighed.

“Fine. I guess I will. Tonight, I’m assuming?” He nodded. “All right. How exactly is this going to go down?” He grinned mischievously.

“You’ll see.” He stood up. “I’ll let Lover Boy back in here now.” A minute later Matt reappeared. He resumed his seat beside me and wrapped his arms around me. I nestled my face into his chest.

“What’d Bri want?” Matt asked.

“Nothing important,” I answered, looking up at him.

“Then why was I kicked out?”

“Because Brian is just weird like that.” I took in a deep breath, inhaling his natural scent. “What time do you guys go on tonight?”

“9:30, why?” I shrugged. “You’re being very vague, Rach.”

“Am not.” I glanced up at him in time to see him roll his hazel eyes and I smirked. “Don’t worry, Matt. I’m not hiding anything.”

I stood on the side of the stage, clutching the microphone in my hands. I watched the guys as they performed Critical Acclaim. I smoothed out my plain black shirt. I swept a strand of hair out of my face as the guys started to reach the end of the song. Immediately at the end of the song, Mike started to play the intro of Welcome to the Family. I brought the microphone to my mouth as Matt brought up his.

Hey kid
Do I have your attention?
I know the way you’ve been living
Life so reckless, tragedy endless
Welcome to the family


Matt looked around in confusion as my voice echoed through the speakers by itself. I realized that the guys had planned for Matt’s microphone to be turned off so only mine worked. I walked out as I continued singing.

Hey, there’s something missing
Only time will alter your vision
Never in question, lethal injection
Welcome to the family


Matt brought his microphone to his mouth as he grinned his dimpled smile.

Not long ago you’d find the answers were so crystal clear
Within a day you find yourself living in constant fear
Can you look at yourself now?
Can you look at yourself?
You can’t win this fight

And in a way it seems there’s no one to call
When our thoughts were so numb and our feelings unsure
We all have emptiness inside
We all have the answers to find
But you can’t win this fight


My voice blended with his as I resumed singing, his voice dominating mine.

Hey (hey kid)
I have to question
What’s with the violent aggression?
Details blurry, lost him too early
Welcome to the family

Hey, why won’t you listen?
Can’t help the people you’re missing
It’s been done, a casualty re-run
Welcome to the family


Matt watched me with a grin on his face as I jumped up on the platform lifting Mike’s drum set and started singing the chorus.

I try and help you with the things that can’t be justified
I need to warn you that there is no way to rationalize
So have you figured it out now?
So have you figured it out?
You can’t win this fight


Matt grabbed my hand as I jumped down. Flashing him a grin, I faced the crowd as we kept singing.

And in a way it seems there’s no one to call
When our thoughts are so numb and our feelings unsure
We all have emptiness inside
We all have answers to find
But you can’t win this fight


Matt let go of my hand as he went to the edge of the stage, leaning towards the screaming crowd as he whispered.

Gunning for you and all mankind
I’ve lost my mind
Psychotic rapid dementia
I won’t be fine


I stood by Zacky as I sang the next verse by myself.

I see you’re a king who’s been dethroned
Cast out in a world you’ve never known
Stand down, place your weapons by your side
It’s our war, in the end we’ll surely lose but that’s alright


Matt’s voice easily joined mine the ending of the song started to come in sight.

So have you figured it out now?
So have you figure it out?

And in a way it seems there’s no one to call
When our thoughts are so numb and our feelings unsure
We all have emptiness inside
We all have answers to find
But you can’t win this fight


I fell back to stand with Johnny as Matt finished off the song in a whispered growl.

Deep inside where nothing’s fine
I’ve lost my mind
You’re not invited, so step aside
I’ve lost my,
Deep inside where nothing’s fine
I’ve lost my mind
You’re not invited, so step aside
I’ve lost my…


The crowd screamed when the song ended.

“Give it up for my gorgeous girlfriend!” Matt told the crowd. They continued screaming. Each of the guys flashed me a smile and Johnny gave me a quick hug seeing as I was next to him. I walked off the stage, a wide grin on my face.

“Did you like the surprise the guys arranged for you?” I asked Matt once their set was over and they had exited the stage. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pressed a kiss to my lips.

“I loved it even more because you were out there singing, not just because you were with me and the guys when we’re in our element,” he replied. I smiled.

“Nice singing out there, Rachel,” Corey Taylor commented as he walked by. “Definitely out showed Matt.” He winked and I laughed.

“Psh. She didn’t out show me,” Matt scoffed. Corey laughed as he resumed his walking towards the buses. Matt looked back at me.

“You were dominating my voice for sure,” I assured him. He grinned again, his dimples appearing. He kissed me again, this one longer than the first one. Butterflies erupted in my stomach, his mouth taking my breath as he pulled away.

“And you’re dominating my heart,” he murmured.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm updating today since I won't be home tomorrow to update.

And once again, could you guys check out If It Means A Lot To You, my first A Day To Remember fanfic? It features the lovely Jeremy McKinnon.