Have Faith in Me

Heartaches

Matt’s POV:
“What the fuck did you say to her?” I demanded, rounding on Aaron.

“I didn’t say anything to her! I was trying to get back what’s rightfully mine,” he spat. I narrowed my eyes at her. I clenched my hands but I knew I couldn’t start another fight.

“She’s not yours anymore. She hasn’t been in years.”

“And you think you’re much better for her? She needs someone who isn’t going to be gone from home for months at a time.” I rolled my eyes.

“I know I’m much better for her than you. Being on tour wouldn’t change my feelings for her.” Aaron scoffed.

“Yeah, with women throwing themselves at you at every stop.”

“They don’t mean anything to me.” He rolled his eyes now. “Just stay away from her if you know what’s best for you.”

“Is that a threat?”

“It’s a promise.” I turned around and stalked away from him.

Rachel’s POV:
I clambered onto the Avenged bus later that night. I didn’t know how late it was but I knew it was in the early hours of the morning.

After I left the venue, I wandered around Asheville, not going anywhere in particular. I was wandering from store to store, my mind reeling with what Aaron had said to me.

I quietly shut the bus door behind me and went to the bunks. I climbed into Matt’s bunk. He immediately turned around and put his arm around me.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, snuggling closer to him.

“I was worried about you,” he murmured. I looked up at his groggy hazel eyes. “Why’d you leave?” I glanced away, biting my lip.

“I just had to think about what Aaron had said to me,” I admitted. Matt’s eyebrows furrowed and the sleepiness instantly left his face.

“You’re not actually considering what he said, are you?” When I didn’t answer, Matt’s face adorned a look of worry. “Rachel, you can’t seriously be considering giving him a second chance. He hurt you. He hurt you, Rachel.”

“I know but he was my first love.”

“First love doesn’t always mean he’s the one.” Matt cupped my face in his hands and kissed me. It was different from the other ones. It was more urgent and passionate, as if he was trying to tell me how much he cared for me. “I don’t want to lose you. I love you too much to lose you, Rach.” I let out a sigh, part of me paying attention to the way my heart skipped when he said he loved me. I ran my hand through his short hair.

“You don’t have to worry about anything. I love you too, Matt. I am not going to leave you for Aaron. He is part of my past and he will stay there. I won’t let him ruin my future.” His anxious face relaxed and a thousand watt, dimpled smile made its appearance. He kissed me again, this one less urgent and more sweeter.

“Good because I don’t want to have to go through seeing you with another man who I think is probably going to end up hurting you.” I shrugged as Matt tightened his hold on me.

“You never know. But he’s the what if I’m keeping out of my life.” I yawned.

“Go to sleep. I’m sure you’re tired,” Matt told me. I buried my face into his chest before closing my eyes and falling asleep.

***

“Two more shows. Just two more shows and then I can sleep in my own bed,” Zacky said.

“Someone misses his bed,” I laughed.

“Woman, do not test me. I will tackle you for mocking my want to be in my own bed.” I giggled again but said nothing.

“I think we all want to be in our own bed,” Brian chimed. I shrugged, taking a seat on Matt’s lap. He wrapped his arms around my waist.

“I’ll just be glad to be back at Revolver and with Sheryl,” I said.

“Are you saying photographing us isn’t fun?” Johnny demanded, pretending to be hurt.

“It’s very much fun, Jonathan, but Revolver is where I belong.”

“Well you should know this isn’t the last time we’ll be asking you to be our tour photographer,” Matt told me. “The fans love what you’ve posted on our Facebook page.”

“Some didn’t love that picture I posted of you two,” Zacky muttered under his breath.

“Well, Rachel is going back to Revolver, you guys are headed home, and I’m heading back to Dream Theater,” Mike finalized.

“We can’t thank you enough for doing this tour with us,” Brian thanked the senior drummer. Mike shrugged it off.

“I’m glad I could help you guys. It was great touring with you guys.” I looked at Matt and smiled. He returned my smile, giving my waist a quick squeeze.

After my last encounter with Aaron, I had avoided him for the weeks that followed. I’d see him from time to time, but I never talked to him. I always felt his glare on me whenever Matt got off stage and greeted me.

“What are you doing when we get home, hm?” I quietly asked Matt as the guys started to do their own things.

“Well first off, I’m gonna drop my stuff at home, then I’m gonna take my beautiful girl out to eat, and then maybe ask her to move in with me?” he murmured, his lips grazing my neck. My eyes widened and I looked at him.

“Are you saying what I think you’re saying?” He looked up at me, smirking.

“If you’re thinking that I’m asking you to move in with me, then I’m saying what you think I’m saying.” I suppressed the squeal that I wanted to let out and opted for kissing him instead.

“I’d love to!” I answered. Matt smiled and kissed me once more. I sighed into the kiss, a nagging worry in the back of my head. I told it to shut up and decided to focus on the good that was coming.