Have Faith in Me

Just Drive

I clambered off the bus as it stopped in front of my house.

“I’ll call you later after I get dropped off,” Matt told me after kissing me. I nodded. I waved to the guys in the bus as they drove away. I lugged my duffle bag to the front door and unlocked it. Leaving my bag in the hallway, I went to pull back the curtains and open up the windows to get rid of the stale smell that had taken over my house after not being in it for so long. After taking care of that, I went to go unpack my bag and went to start doing laundry.

An hour later, Have Faith In Me came from my phone.

“Hello?” I answered, a smile on my lips.

“Hey, babe,” Matt’s husky voice greeted. “Enjoying being home?”

“Sort of. Been dusting things off and doing some laundry.”

“Well mind putting chores at the bottom of your to do list and joining me for some dinner at Ruby’s down in Seal Beach?”

“Sure. That sounds great.”

“Then I’ll swing by in ten minutes.”

“All right.” I hung up. I set down the shirts in my hands and went to my room. I combed the knots out of my dark brown hair and changed out of my pajamas into jeans. I was slipping a simple white blouse on when there was a honk outside of my house. Smiling widely, I grabbed my keys and wallet and exited the house. “Hey,” I greeted cheerfully as I slid into the car. He leaned over to kiss me on the lips. I smiled as he did so, my breath taken away just like every time he kissed me. “I thought you would’ve wanted to sleep.” He shrugged, his aviators hiding his hazel eyes.

“Sleep can wait. I thought you’d be going through your pictures,” he countered. It was my turn to shrug.

“I had to do laundry otherwise I wouldn’t have any clothes to wear tomorrow.” Matt looked over at me, smirking, and I rolled my eyes. “You’re not getting in my pants anytime soon, Matthew.” He grinned.

“I’m just joking, Rach. Don’t worry.”

“Oh I’m not worried. I would’ve screamed rape.”

“You would’ve been screaming something entirely different by the time I was done.” He laughed at the expression on my face.

“You are unbelievable.”

“Just means you don’t know what to expect.” I shook my head as he chuckled. Silence fell between us. Atreyu played quietly from the speakers.

“You, sir, need In This Moment,” I told him as I went through his iPod.

“I’ve heard of them but I haven’t listened to them,” Matt said as he parked.

“Well we’ll have to change that.” He grabbed my hand and we started walking down the pier. I took in a deep breath. “I missed the smell of the ocean,” I murmured. A strong gust of wind blew by, sending a shiver down my spine. “I didn’t miss that though.” Matt shook his head, a smile on his lips as he wrapped an arm around me. We entered Ruby’s where a waiter promptly led us to a table.

“Liking the first five minutes of our first official date?” Matt asked. I nodded, kissing his cheek.

“I would’ve been happy just hanging out at home,” I said. He shrugged.

“I’m starving and I didn’t feel like buying something to cook.”

“Here are your drinks. Are you guys ready to order?” the waiter asked. We nodded. “All right. What would the beautiful girl like to eat?”

“A cheeseburger with fries please,” I requested. I glanced at Matt as he ordered.

“I’ll be back with your food soon.” The waiter flashed me a smile before walking away.

“Matt…” I warned. Matt put his arm around me and pulled me closer.

“He needs to learn that you’re my beautiful girl,” he growled. I blushed.

“Just don’t be too mean.”

An hour later we were leaving Ruby’s. As Matt climbed into the car, I was connecting my iPod to his radio.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Showing you In This Moment,” I answered. “They have the perfect song for cruising down a long road.”

“Oh really now?” I nodded as Matt pulled out of the parking spot and started towards PCH. Maria Brink’s scream blared through the speakers as The Gun Show played. “Damn that girl can scream,” Matt commented.

“And she can sing.” I looked around. “Can you put the hood down?” Tossing me a curious glance, Matt did as I asked. I slipped my seat belt behind me as Just Drive started to play.

Matt’s POV:
I glanced at Rachel every few seconds, wondering what she was doing .Her eyes were closed and a smile played on her face. After the initial screaming at the beginning, Rachel opened her mouth and started to sing along.

Tonight is the night let’s get ready to go
Leave your bags behind and let’s hit the road
Tonight is the night, there’s no time to lose, let’s get going
Tonight is the night let’s follow the moon
You can take the wheel and I’ll breathe the wind
With my head back and my hands in the air I am flying
Just drive


Rachel threw her head back, raising her hands in the air as she sang. I smiled as I listened to her, her voice occasionally snatched away by the wind.

Take me away tonight just me with you tonight
Down the winding road we will not let go
We will drive no matter how far
Yes we will drive until the ending of it all

So here we are we left the world behind


I felt her gaze on me as she started to sing the next verse. I glanced at her, flashing her a smile. She smiled warmly back.

You’ve got your foot on the gas and it’s do or die
And these wheels are all we need as we’re cruising
So here we are in this Cadillac
We’ve got the rag top down and the seats are back
You turn to me and say baby, tonight we’re flying
Just drive

Take me away tonight, just take me with you tonight
Down the winding road we will not let go
We will drive no matter how far
Yes we will drive until the ending of it all

Until the ending of it all
We will drive
We will not let go


Bringing her hands down, Rachel turned down the volume as the song reached it’s ending She was out of breath, the most beautiful smile on her face.

“God, that felt amazing!” she said, throwing her head back again. She brought it back down and looked at me as I pulled into her driveway. I came to stop and turned to look at her. She leaned over and placed a kiss on my lips. “I love you,” she whispered, smiling against my lips.

“I love you too,” I murmured before kissing her again.