Nexus - The Archives

The Ravenous Sea

The Ravenous Sea:

Around three centuries before the Black Reign, having much influence during the dark, viciously long years of the Reign, disease spread like a raging wildfire throughout Vain, a planet drifting the distance outer ring of Nexus. Largely inhabited in comparison to early stages of Nexus, a thriving celestial body enriched with minerals and metals. Unlike Nexus, Vain was void of indigenous creatures, even void of bacteria and hospitable atmosphere.

After decades of gaseous bombardment and various programs to alter the small planet, cities where born. Many bloomed such like vibrant flowers, burning with life. But it was a city doomed for failure from foundation. The urge for inhabitation forced a lack of procedure of quarantine between inhabitants, viruses and diseases began to spread viciously between humans and beasts for harvest. As antibiotics began to circulate through the populace, the minute percentage of the virus resistant to the antibiotics flourished.

The virus was noticeable and highly destructive for three reasons, the entire personality of the host was shifted towards primitive aggression, the virus was transmitted by any form of bodily fluid, and the hosts saliva glands worked at a phenomenal rate. The ending result, a machine. There lay only one down side to the machine was the metabolism. The body began to digest contents maliciously, breaking down the most difficult of substances, and at tremendous rates, passing through food before most of the nutrients could be obtained. As a result, the beasts feasted like no other.

As the first years passed, hordes of the ravenous creatures where mowed down by bombing runs. As time progressed, the tainted overwhelmed the untainted. After a short time, the tainted began to spawn, and the offspring where much more mechanically improved than the previous, first tainted generation. Only the most physically capable children survived birth, rare where those that lived past pubity. But as generations pushed on, more and more survived.

The virus severely affected jaw movement, altering the language capable of the newly bred humanoids. To humans, they are the Ravenous, to them, the Rafenour.