From Teenager to Daddy in a Matter of Months

Mommy and Daddy

I exhaled the smoke from my mouth and looked the streets below me. People down below didn’t give a fuck that I was flicking ashes as them, well they did seem to notice. I nodded to a neighbour on their balcony that just came out for a smoke as well. Usually I would have my shouting conversations with her but I was too tired today.

I heard a little pounding behind me. I turned to the glass door looking at the little guy. I stomped out my cigarette and opened the door. “Hey what’s wrong little buddy?” I asked walking in side.

“Day fells.” He explained and ran as fast as his little feet could carry him. I walked behind him to see Jacoby having a seizure.

“Fuck,” I muttered and picked him up off the floor. It was a minute or so before the seizure stopped and he started crying at the top of his little lungs. “Sh, it’s okay kiddo. Daddy is here. Sh it’s okay I promise.” I held his head to my shoulder and tried to calm him down. “Thanks Tommy.” I smiled at Elle’s son.

I heard the front door opening meaning she was back. She walked down the hall and into the sitting room to see Elle. She had Tom wrapped around her leg and she picked him up and walked towards Jay and me. “Hey honey,” she kissed me. “Another seizure?”

“Yeah, that’s the third one today.” I sighed. “Think I should call the doctor?” I asked and she shook her head. He had had worse days when there would be seven or eight and then we would call the doc but I guess I’ll leave it for the moment. “Get me anything nice in the shop?” I followed her down to the kitchen. She set a bag and Tom down carefully.

“Erm depends on what you mean by nice.” She grinned and began taking out food think one by one. “I have bananas, bread, decaf, cream, a pregnancy test, apples, soup and twenty Marlboro for you.” She handed me the cigarettes and I shoved them into my pocket.

“Wait what did you say you had?”

She had her back turned to me and put on a pot of coffee. “Bread, bananas, apples, soup, decaf, a pregnancy test and cream.” She took Tom down off the counter top and looked at me with a very forced smile. “You want me to repeat that?”

“Y-your… but we … How … When…” I rubbed my face with one hand and took a deep breath. Two fucking years together and she might be pregnant. The exact same thing happened with Cassie. “A baby?” I managed to get out. She nodded and her eyes glistened. “Oh hon come here.” She came over and started to cry on my shoulder.

“I’m sorry. I thought we were careful. I didn’t mean to.” She whimpered in my shoulder. I kissed her head and held her in one of my arms. “I’m two weeks late. What am I going to do? We can’t have another baby.” She babbled. “We’re fucking broke as it is.” I rested my chin on her head and rubbed her back. Tom seemed to be taking the whole thing in and Jay had fallen asleep. He always does after he has a seizure.

“Listen why don’t you go take the test and I’ll sort these two out, okay?” she nodded against my shoulder. I kissed her head and she grabbed the box leaving me there shocked. “C’mon kiddo, time for your nap anyway.” I told Tom and lifted him up as well.

I walked into Jacoby’s room first and set him down in the crib. I took his shoes off first and kissed his head. I walked in with Tom to his room and had to sit on the floor to put him into his ‘big boy’ bed, I took off his shoes and lay him down before tucking him in kissing his head as well. “Nihh daddy.” He whispered.

“Night Tom.” I said and closed the door. Although John saw his son every weekend and Wednesday, Tom called us both daddy. He didn’t quite get that I wasn’t his father. But the bit that Michelle loved most was that he never once called John’s wife mommy. Jay called Michelle mama. In a way in broke my heart but in another way I was happy that he liked her enough to call her mama.

“We have to wait five minutes.” Elle croaked. Glancing at the test on the nightstand I took her hand in mine and pulled her to lay down on the bed with me. She lay down with her back to me. I rested my arm around her waist and my head on hers. “What happens if it’s positive?”

“We’ll have to deal with it and move again.” I sighed. We’ve moved two times in the past year, once to Florida for six months and then into Chicago and there was no way in hell a baby could be brought up in this apartment. It wasn’t that I didn’t want more kids it was just the wrong time. The boys are still small and handling them and baby would not be pleasant. “You want to check the test or will I?”

“Before you check it,” she began and turned her head slightly. “I want you to know I will look after this baby as a full time mother. I don’t want any fights to happen over this baby, not now not ever.” She whispered. “I love you.”

“Love you two honey.” I kissed her and gave her a soft squeeze to let her know I was there for her. I removed one of my arms from her waist to reach over and get the test, along with the instructions. One pink line means you are not pregnant. Two pink lines mean you are pregnant, I read carefully before throwing it to the ground. “Elle?” I sighed heavily and closed my eyes.

“Yeah?”

“It’s positive.”