Began as Friends

Chapter 13

Jaime stood there, Mike still holding her arm. She blinked back at him looking for an answer.

"I," she began, "I, I, I..." she trailed off looking down.

Mike didn't say a word. He dropped her hand, looked up at Brooks who gave him a weary looked and turned to leave.

He passed Brooks who gave him a pat on the shoulder whispering, "I'm sorry."

After Mike left and got into the waiting cab Brooks went over to Jaime who at this point was crying softly. He took her hand and squeeze in encouragingly.

"Let's get you home," he said and led her to the limo outside.

That night Jaime didn't say anything to anyone, not Brooks or Josie. She crawled into her large bed turned her lamp off and cried herself to sleep.

Why didn't she just say she felt it too, why didn't she jump into his arms right there. What was she so scared of?

Flashback - April 2009

Jaime had gone out with the guys on another Friday night as she usually did. She was just one of the guys and didn't mind it. She enjoyed watching them fetch after girls the banter between them all and the drinking and dancing.

"Mike pick any girl," Nicky said standing next to Jaime.

Nicky was pointing out the rather busty blonde Mike had sitting on his lap in the corner of their section. He was wasted as was the blonde on his lap. Her hands were running up and down his thighs dangerously close to his crotch and he was slobbering all over her neck.

"Really, any girl," Jaime said smiling back at Nicky.

"Yes, he have many girls, girls love him."

"I know, and boy does she love him right now."

"Mike has his choice of girls but always chooses the stupid ones," Brooks cut in, "The guy just doesn't want to settle down."

Brooks was talking about Mike's choice of girls across the country. We all knew he had a girl in each city he played in, if not multiple ones.

The blonde hopped off Mike's lap and headed to the bathroom. By this time Jaime was sitting on the couch with Brooks on one side a nearly passed out Mike on the other.

Mike picked himself up and whispered in Jaime's ear, "I think you're amazing James."

Jaime leaned back and looked at him, his eyes red with exhaustion and intoxication.

"But you know me too well."

"You're right, I do Mike," she said and pushed him back into the arms of the blonde that had just returned.

***
She had watched that story unfold time and time again. No matter the night Mike had a girl on his arm he was taking home to sleep with. She saw how he treated girls, rather as a game than as a person. Jaime even called him out on it time and time again, but now that she was his game it was harder to make a decision.

And she did know him too well, Jaime knew Mike's antics and was mad at him for not giving her that. For not understanding her hesitation.

Jaime was confused before, but now she didn't know which way was up, and knew no one would give her that answer. Mike had made a fool out of himself for her tonight and she knew he wouldn't do it again. It was up to her this time, if she wanted him bad enough, she'd figure it out.

***

"Jaime, you awake?"

Groans came from underneath the comforter and a muffled, "Go away," was let out.

"I will not."

"I'm asleep," Jaime murmered.

"Yeah, me too."

With that Josie reached for the ends of her comforter and pulled hard watching the blanket come flying off Jaime.

Jaime was curled up in the fetal position he head facing the window wearing a large t-shirt and boxers. The sun hit Jaime first and she let out a moan as her she was blinded by the light.

"I hate you," Jaime said tiredly.

"Too bad I love you, which is why I am here, now get up, we're going to get lunch."

"Fine," Jaime said.

"Look cute."

"No," Jaime whispered when Josie left the room.

"You've got 10 minutes," Josie called out.

Jaime didn't care if they were meeting the damn President for lunch, she was not getting dressed nicely.

Jaime walked out to the living room where Josie was sitting on the bar stool waiting.

"You look like you had a bad night last night with that outfit."

"Good, because I did you jerk."

"Fine," Josie said and the two left.

They arrived in Georgetown for lunch and went to one of Jaime's favorite places, a pizza place off the main strip.

"I needed this," Jaime said looking up at her best friend from behind her menu.

"I know, and I can always go for pizza," Josie said smiling back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit to go to lunch: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/profile?id=2514814