Status: Writing :: Stay Tuned

Impossible

one

You’d love it here, Bee! The ocean is beautiful,” Jesse exclaimed over the phone line. He was sitting in the sand, looking out at the setting California sun.

“I’m sure I would,” Elizabeth answered, a wistful smile playing on her lips. She was laying on the couch in her New York apartment, legs dangling over the armrest.

Her older brother, Baz walked into the living room, lifting Elizabeth’s head so he had room to sit on the couch, letting her head rest on his thigh. “Who are you taking to?” he whispered.

No one, she mouthed while rolling her eyes at his nosiness. He chuckled, turning his attention to the basketball game playing on the plasma screen while his hands played idly with his sister’s long brown hair that was fanned across his lap.

I wish you and Baz could come out here, or that I could visit back home. But I’ve been so busy. Did I tell you I’m almost done recording the album?” Jesse asked excitedly.

“Yeah, Jess. You did.”

“Jesse? Why didn’t you tell me it was him?” Baz questioned loudly as he ripped the cordless phone from his sister’s hand, the TV forgotten. “Hey, man. What’s up?” he spoke into the phone.

Elizabeth twisted onto her knees, turning to lean across her brother, reaching for the phone, but Baz turned just out of reach. “Hey, I was talking to him!” she whined. Baz made a face, mouthing her words—mocking her. “Sebastian! Give me the phone!”

Jesse just laughed to himself, smiling at the scene he was picturing in his head. He missed his two best friends. He’d been in California for nine months now, shooting a TV series and recording his first solo album. But, oh how he missed New York. Although the weather was definitely better in Cali, he longed for the feeling of home.

Jesse, Baz, and Elizabeth had once been inseparable. Baz and Elizabeth fought like typical siblings, but was each other’s best friend. Jesse had joined the pair when him and Baz met in fourth grade. It was nice for Baz to have a friend to talk to who wasn’t his sister, or a girl. But even if Baz wanted to keep his sister and his new friend separate, he couldn’t. Jesse and Elizabeth were a perfect match. They were both outspoken and brash, pranksters at heart with a passion for trouble.

Baz was the levelheaded one of the group. He not only countered Jesse and Elizabeth’s rebelliousness, but he was also the voice of reason—the mediator when his friends clashed. Where Jesse and Elizabeth’s shared personality created a tight knit bond, it also created heated arguments. They could fight like no others. Neither held back, knowing that either could take what the other was dishing out.

Hey, dude. I gotta go; they’re calling me back to set. I’ll talk to you later. Tell Bee I miss her,” Jesse said finally as he stood and brushed the white sand from his shorts.

“Yeah, man. Later,” Baz answered before clicking the end button on the phone and setting it beside him.

Elizabeth, who had resigned to painting her toenails next to her brother while he talked to their shared best friend, glared in Baz’s direction. “Hey! I wasn’t done talking to him,” she said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“I know,” he said in an understanding tone. “He had to get back to work. But he told me to tell you that he misses you.”

“Well, duh. I am awesome!”
♠ ♠ ♠
;D