Love is Pain

When The Fire Burns Through

“WAKE UP!!”

I was rudely awoken by the screaming of Theresa’s voice. Her breath smelled of alcohol; heavy on the rum. As I looked up, my skin was pierced by her smile. I reminded my self of the things that have happened in the past few weeks, and how they were now gone for good. Even if I did survive Theresa, there was no way I would be able to get out of this house in two years! I’d definitely be a psychopath by then! Theresa ripped the sheets off my quaking body and yanked me out of the bed by my arm. She then rolled up the sleeves of my shirt and shoved me out of my room.

“This is the last time you’ll be seeing this room.”

As she shoved me forward I noticed the revolver on the coffee table and I began to panic. The tears blinded my sight and I couldn’t walk in a straight line. Theresa then threw me into the kitchen and I landed on the floor with a huge thud! She then picked me up and made sure my sleeves were still rolled up and she pulled my arm over the stove. The tears began to blur my vision. I couldn’t imagine the pain I was to feel. I could see the bright orange flames heating the metal coils on the stove. That could be my skin, cooking away on the stove. I fought with all my might to get loose of Theresa’s grip but it was to strong; so masculine. I began to feel the heat rise up my arm. It was warm, but not yet burning. The sobs began, and I became hysterical! I envisioned my arm incinerating on the stove, burning up and dropping ashes that Theresa would make me vacuum up later. The sweltering fire was burning my arm! I was flailing my body around and twisting my arm in all directions trying to break away from Theresa’s grip. It was no use. I was a blubbery mess in excruciating pain! Bursts of screams shot from my mouth, tears drenched my shirt, and the smell of burning skin was acrid in the air. It was a nightmare gone horrid. The pain was unbearable! I felt exhausted from fighting so hard, I seemed to be slipping away. But I immediately noticed the grip on my body and arms loosen. So I tugged away with all the strength I had left and managed to part away from Theresa. I stumbled over my feet as I tried to run away from the scene. I reached the old, mangy couch in the living room but was then tackled to the floor. She had caught me, this would be the end. I put my arms up to protect myself from the blows to the head but was easily defeated when my burnt arm was hit. She would get her way and I couldn’t stop her. The strikes to the face and to my body were catching up with me. I was confronting stars in my sight. I could feel myself slipping away from the world. This would be my last night. Theresa accordingly lifted the upper half of my body and smashed it back down into the floor. That was the last of the pain. I was finally free. I felt nothing more and my body became limp.

Theresa silently regained her strength and arose from the floor. She then walked over to the coffee table slowly and beamed at the revolver. It seemed to be calling her name. She reached for it and gripped it firmly in her hand. Nearly three minutes later, a gun shot was heard and the police were called.