Love is Pain

A final kiss...a final touch

Another week pasted and I hadn’t seen Carrie. But this time I wasn’t worried about it. We were in love. And nothing was going to break us up, not even distance. As I stepped outside that lovely afternoon, I saw Carrie outside my house.

“How do you know where I live?”

“Oh, I have connections.”

I invited Carrie into my house and showed her around. She seemed to be amazed at the clarity of the rooms. She mentioned that her house was dark and demented. I had to chuckle at that. My dad got home about an hour later and when he walked in, Carrie and I were bundled together on the couch. His brow furrowed as he came in the house; that was a sign of confusion.

“Dad, this is Carrie, and Carrie this is my dad, Ben.”

“Nice to meet you young lady.”

“Nice to meet you too.”

The whole evening was a story! It was a blast! Carrie and my father got along so well! I was actually kind of surprised. My father’s optimistic personality seemed to brighten up Carrie a lot. If only her mother wasn’t always in the back of her mind weighing her down. She was such a great person and didn’t deserve what she was getting. My plan was to convince my father to snap into action. I couldn’t let Carrie find out because she would surely be opposed to the idea. That night I discovered something that would change everything between us. Carries mother had found out about us. In the same position as I was last time, I had nothing to say, and could do nothing as I watched a waterfall of tears poor out of Carries stunning green eyes. This girl was everything to me, and I couldn’t let something bad happen to her. As she wiped away her tears I saw all the make up remove from her face. There were welts and bruises everywhere! Obviously the best make up job I’ve ever seen. She could see the concern in my eyes and I pulled her close to me. As I stroked her back she flinched away from me. So I slowly lifted up the back of her shirt to see marks surrounding her body. She looked like a slave, like she’d been hit with a whip! She looked at me nodding her head, knowing what I had discovered and how unhappy I truly was. I wanted to cry, not only for me but for her. No one deserved what was happening to Carrie.

“Carrie, I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

“But you have to promise me something.”

“Huh?”

“You can’t keep coming and seeing me. I don’t want your mother to do anything worse to you. You surely don’t deserve it. Promise me, that in two years you’ll meet me at the park. At the swings where we met last. From there we will runaway together and fall in love all over again. Don’t disobey her. The more you get hurt the less likely it is that I’ll ever get to see you again. I don’t want to risk that now or ever.”

“I promise. But I really have to go right now. I love you, Alex.”

“I love you, too.”

Then I watched the tears swell up in her eyes. She came close to me and kissed me and hugged me for the very last time. This was going to be the end.

His touch was so strong and gentle. It was hard to resist. I hoped this wasn’t the last time. But deep down I knew that it would be. I ran home in the middle of the night with my heart shattered. I didn’t want to leave, but I knew that I was already busted! I zoomed by all the parked cars on the side of the streets and finally stopped running when I turned the corner of my street. I needed to stop and catch my breath. When I got up to my house I opened the window of the basement at the bottom of the house, and climbed in. It was dark and silent. A chill ran up my spine. I had a bad feeling about all of this. I quietly scurried up the stairs when the basement door opened by itself. There Theresa was with a huge grin smeared across her face. She didn’t say a word. She simply walked away silently in a baby blue dress. I knew this could not be good. I ran into my room and got ready for bed as I would any night, but this night would be different. I climbed into bed with an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I was terrified to fall asleep. Yet I didn’t want to know what would happen if I stayed awake. I wanted Alex beside me, to hold me and to comfort me. But this was too dangerous of a place for him, for me, for anyone. And I wouldn’t want to risk that. Three hours later, I finally had cried myself to sleep.