These Butterflies

His Protective Side.

We step onto the desolate parking lot.

I count six vacant cars stationed across the large, empty space. That’s it. Most of everyone watching the game left once it was over. Chris and Matt wanted to take Mom out to a nice restaurant to spend some time with her. I stayed with Alex and the team, but it’s starting to get late and Alex suggested leaving, so here we are. There’s a few of his teammates still discussing in the gym, but they’re completely out of our view. As far as I’m concerned, Alex and I are the only ones that exist.

The sky looks like a black sheet above us and the only light we have is provided by the dull streetlights surrounding the school campus. All I hear is the strangely soothing sound of our footsteps against the pavement.

“You know what I’m thinking?” he asks suddenly.

I turn to face him, feeling myself grow curious. “What?”

“This looks like the scene of a horror movie, and we’re about to get murdered.” He smirks because he knows things like that keep me up at night.

“That’s not funny.”

He starts to chuckle when he notices my slight pout. When he stops suddenly in his tracks, I trip from the confusion but he holds me before any damage is done. “You know I wouldn’t let anything happen to you.”

“How will you protect me if you get shot?”

He raises his eye brows at my question. “That wouldn’t happen. I’d use you as a body shield.”

“You just said you wouldn’t let anything happen to me!” I push him away and he starts laughing. I like his laugh. And the way his luring brown eyes twinkle when he does. I realize that I’m smiling, and how can I not? He’s just so damn adorable.

As he steps away, we continue our path. It only takes a few seconds for me to trip again. He gracefully slips his hand into mine. “Jesus Lani, why are you so clumsy?”

“I’m only clumsy around you,” I admit.

“Well it’s a good thing I always catch you.” He leads me to the passenger side of his car and I say what I have wanted to say for hours.

“It’s not your fault the team lost,” I say quietly. I don’t know what his reaction will be because he seemed emotionless after the game. A part of me hopes that he didn’t hear because I’m afraid it will upset him. But it doesn’t.

“I know,” he replies. “I tried my best. It wasn’t enough, I guess.”

I think of a way to lighten the mood. “I bet you caught someone’s attention though,” I say, referring to the scouts.

“Well that’s for sure,” he replies with a grin. “There was this girl sitting next to you. She was totally into me.”

My entire body stiffens involuntarily. “You noticed her?”

“Well I just noticed her, noticing me, so I guess. I mean whenever I would look at you, she would already be looking at me.” His grin gets broader. “She was cute. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t like the attention.” I feel a sinking in my chest and I try my best to keep my distress hidden. “Why? Did she say anything about me?”

“Uh, she said you and I make an adorable couple.”

He chuckles, and the sinking is suddenly painful. “And what did you say?”

I rip my hand away from his. “That we’re not a couple.”

He leans against the car door. “Well there was someone that couldn’t stop looking at you either.”

“Who?” I ask. A tiny spark of hope flickers inside of me. Was he looking at me like I was looking at him?

“Connor,” he says.

“Oh…” I’m completely dismayed. Connor is also on the football team. He is no doubt very attractive, but he’s known for ending relationships once he gets what he wants, whatever it may be. Guys like him are the reason my brothers are unreasonably overprotective. I’m sure they would panic if I even looked at someone like Connor with the slightest of interest. He may have girls constantly throwing themselves at him, but he’s just not my type.

“He’s sort of obsessed with you,” Alex continues.

“Oh really? I hear he’s quite the kisser,” I joke.

“Don’t even think about it Lani,” he says sternly. “I would never let him near you.”

I grin. I love his protective side. “And why is that?”

“Because he’s a jerk. He’s no where near being good enough for you.” Alex lifts his hand up and tenderly brushes a strand of hair from my face. His touch causes me to tense up even more, and I can only pray he doesn’t notice. “You deserve someone much better than that guy. You deserve someone great.”

His face is so close to mine and I feel my throat closing in. “Why? I’m not that great…”

“Lani, you’re amazing.”

I’m struggling to maintain my steady breathing. “Thanks,” I say meekly. “I love you, Alex.”

He smiles. “I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The plot starts to pick up in the next chapter! I hope you guys like it :) And thank you SO much to everyone who has commented. Comments make my day <3