Status: Complete

Accidentally In Love

CHAPTER TWELVE

I couldn’t believe it was summer once again, it seemed that just yesterday Taylor was giving birth to Troy and Jordan asked me to move in with him, but in reality that was five months ago. In the past five months so much has happened, I finished my junior year of college, officially moved in with Jordan, and the Penguins made it to the Conference Finals, where they lost to the Carolina Hurricanes. I was looking forward to this summer because I would be spending it in Thunder Bay with Jordan and his family. Also this summer Jared and Megs were finally getting married and everyone was super excited. One thing Jordan wasn’t looking forward to was seeing the Stanley Cup at his place twice since Jared was on the team as well. I knew that he was happy for his brothers though.

“Mandy,” the sound of Taylor’s voice dragged me out of my thoughts. I looked from the window to her standing in my doorway. “Jordan’s here”

I smiled at her. “Why are you telling me this?” Normally when Jordan came over to Sidney and Taylor’s place he would walk right in, say hi to my sister, hang out with Sid for a bit, then come find me.

“Because I saw him pull into the driveway.” Just then we heard the front door open and Jordan greet Sidney and Stephanie giggle. Soon he could be heard on the steps.

“Oh Taylor.” He called.

Taylor smiled and leaned against the railing. “Jordan Lee Staal, you better shut your mouth. You’re going to wake Troy and then you’ll be the one putting him back to sleep.” she warned.

I gave my sister a sympathetic smile, Troy wasn’t the easiest child to put to sleep. When he was first born he was the easiest baby ever, he would go right sleep and stay asleep. Not now, five months later, now he went to bed and sometimes he’d sleep through the night and then sometimes not. When he didn’t there was usually tension between Sidney and Taylor, little sleep and grueling hockey games will do that to a couple.

Jordan grimaced, “I’m sorry. I didn’t even think about him being asleep.” He gave my sister a hug. “How have you been?”

She sighed and leaned into her best friend. “Better now that Sidney is home more. I’ve actually been able to get things done.”

Jordan pulled away. “Troy still not letting you sleep through the night?”

“No, not all the time. He’s been getting better, but at least three or four times a week Sidney or I have to get up with him. Sometimes we get lucky and he falls back to sleep, but not enough.” She looked at me. “It’s been a bit easier having Mandy here too. When things get really bad she’ll keep an eye on the kids while Sidney and I get out of the house or sleep.”

I felt bad for both my sister and Sidney, they both had busy lives outside of the house and having a baby that didn’t sleep through the night never made it easy. I even considered staying in Pittsburgh for the summer to help out with the kids, but when I ran it by Jordan the look on his face nearly broke my heart. He wanted to go home and he didn’t want to go without me, plus I wanted to go as well.

“Well,” Jordan said clapping his hands together. “I’m here now, why don’t you and Captain go out tonight. Mandy and I can watch the kids. You two need a night out, kids free.”

Taylor gave me a look that I was familiar with, she wanted to go but didn’t want to be a bother. I smiled at her. “Go, Jordan’s right, you two deserve some quality time together.” She was about to object, but I stopped her. “Events for the team and anything else Sidney goes to doesn’t count.”

“Tay, when was the last time that you and Sidney had a conversation that didn’t consist of the kids or hockey?” Jordan asked.

“Too long” she admitted.

“There you go.” I said. “Go to your room and put on that black dress that you look amazing in. Don’t worry about Troy and Stephanie, we can handle them.”

Reluctantly, Taylor made her way to the bedroom she shared with Sidney. She gave Jordan and I one last look before closing the door behind her. When the door was closed, I smiled up at Jordan.

“That was a great idea. Are you sure you don’t mind though? I know we are supposed to be packing for Thunder Bay.”

“If I minded I wouldn’t have suggested it.” He smiled back at me. “Plus, I like watching you interact with the kids.”

“You mean it turns you on?”

Jordan gave me a cheeky smirk. “Well there is that,” He came over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I stood up on my tip toes and captured his perfect lips in a sweet kiss.

“It does the same to me.” I smiled and Jordan growled before kissing me again. I pulled away and kissed his cheek. “I’m going to go tell Sidney about our plan.”

I went downstairs and was greeted by the sound of an episode of Hannah Montana playing. Then I heard Sidney singing, when I rounded the corner into the family room he was not only singing but dancing to it as well.

I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing as I watched. Stephanie was enjoying her father singing along as well. When it was over, I leaned on the back of the couch next to Sidney. “Nice singing there Sid, if for some reason hockey fails you, you could always take up karaoke.”

Sidney rolled his eyes at me. “You think you are so funny don’t you?”

I nodded and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Anyways, go upstairs and get dressed up. You and my sister are going out tonight. Jordan and I are playing babysitter for you two, since neither of us will be here much this summer.” Then I got an idea. “How would you like a kid free night, not just evening, with your wife?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why don’t Jordan and I take the kids over to Jordan’s place for the night? That way you and Taylor can stay out as late as you like and spend some quality time together that doesn’t require a diaper bag and crayons.”

Sidney looked down at Stephanie who was content on watching TV and then back up at me. “Would you mind?”

I smiled, I knew Sidney and Taylor loved their kids with all their hearts, but they were still young. They needed time by themselves. “I’m sure Sid. Now go get dressed.” When he left the room, I sat on the floor next to Stephanie. “Hey, Steph, how would you like to have a sleepover at Jordan’s?”

“Will you be there?” She asked.

“Of course, we are going to give mommy and daddy some time alone.”

“I like that idea!” She cheered.

“Me too, let’s go pack your bag.” I grabbed her hand and took her up to her room. Half an hour later Jordan and I were loading the kids into the car and were saying goodbye to Sidney and Taylor.

“If they get to be too much, call us.” Taylor said handing me Troy’s diaper bag. “Also if Troy gets too fussy-”

“Taylor,” I cut her off. “Relax, we can handle them. You and Sidney just enjoy your night of freedom and we will bring them home some time tomorrow.”

Taylor sighed. “I know, but this is the first time we’ve left the kids with someone.”

“Taylor, relax. It’s just one night and it’s Jordan and I. Everything will be fine, just go have fun with your husband.” I kissed her cheek and looked over her shoulder at my brother-in-law. “Sidney, please make sure she has fun tonight.”

“You got it.” He smiled and wrapped his arms around Taylor. “They know what they are doing, Tay.” He told her, kissing her neck.

One again, my sister sighed. “I know.”

Just then Troy started fussing from his car seat as Jordan was strapping him in. Taylor took one step towards the car, but before she could do anything Jordan had him calmed down. I looked at Taylor who was still looking towards the car.

“See, everything is fine. Now go have fun.” Before Taylor could protest anymore, I climbed into the car and waved to her and Sidney. When we were on the road and on the way to Jordan’s, I turned in my seat to look at Stephanie.

“So Steph, what do you want to do when we get to Jordan’s?” I asked my niece.

She thought about it for a brief second before smiling at me. “Can we paint our nails?” She asked, hopefully.

“Of course!” I smiled.

Jordan looked at Stephanie in the review mirror and made a face at her causing her to giggle. I turned back around in my seat and took Jordan’s hand as we continued to drive. Jordan looked at me and smiled and I smiled back. I knew he was bummed that we didn’t go to Thunder Bay right when the season ended, but I couldn’t just leave Taylor just like that.

“What’s Jordan going to do while we paint our nails?” Stephanie asked.

I looked at Jordan with a wicked smile. “He’s going to make us brownies.” Jordan looked at me with a raised eye brow and I just laughed.

When we pulled up to Jordan’s place, I noticed that there was another car there. I looked at Jordan and saw that he had a smile on his face. I looked between him and the car for a bit before asking.

“Alright, who’s here?” I asked, stepping out of the car.

Jordan shrugged as he opened the door to get Troy out of the car. I gave him a look and got Stephanie out of the car as well. Together we made our way inside and I heard the sound of children giggling. I looked at Jordan and that smile was still there. Confused, I opened the door and was nearly tackled to the floor.

“MANDY AND UNCLE JORDAN ARE HERE DAD!” the little boy yelled before giving me a hug.

“Parker, what are you doing here?” I asked the little boy.

He smiled at me before answering me. “Mom and dad wanted to visit you and Uncle Jordan before we went to grandma and grandpa’s.”

Stephanie looked at Parker and then up at me. “Aunt Mandy, who’s that?”

“This is Parker, he’s Jordan’s brother’s son.”

“Like my mommy is your sister?”

I smiled. “Exactly. Parker, this is my niece Stephanie, why don’t you two go play for a little bit.”

Without a word the two of them took off for the living room where I could hear Tanya talking to the kids. I turned to Jordan who was quietly talking to Troy. I stared at him until he looked at me.

“Did you know they were coming?” I asked.

He shook his head. “They said they talked about it. I really didn’t know they were coming.”

I smiled, “Relax, I’m not upset that your family showed up. Come on, let’s go say hi.”

“Mandy, Stephanie was just telling us that you are having a sleepover tonight.” Tanya smiled.

“We are, Taylor and Sidney needed a break from the kids so Jord and I took them off of their hands for the night.” I sat on the couch between Eric and Tanya. “So how long are you guys here for?” I asked, watching Kelsey and Stephanie talk.

“Just for a couple of days. I have to be in Thunder Bay in a week for some interviews about the playoffs.” Eric smiled. He looked over at Jordan who was still holding Troy. “My God, Troy looks so much like Sidney.”

“Poor kid” I chuckled.

While Jordan, Eric, Tanya, and I sat in the living room and talked Parker, Kelsey, and Stephanie played on the floor. Eventually though Stephanie remembered the nail painting I promised her and Kelsey wanted in. So Tanya and I sat at the dining room table with Kelsey and Stephanie and painted their nails while Jordan, Eric and Parker played Xbox.

“So Mandy, how was school?” Tanya asked.

“It was good, glad to be done for the summer though.” I smiled.

“Spoken like a true student.”

I laughed, “Steph, have you eaten dinner?” I asked my niece when my stomach growled signaling I haven’t eaten yet.

Stephanie looked at me with a look that was pure Taylor. “You were at home.”

“I know that, but I was in my room packing. Remember?” I tickled her tummy causing her to laugh. “Well I’m hungry so I’m ordering pizza. Tanya have you guys eaten yet?” Tanya shook her head. “Pizza it is.” I dialed the pizza place that Jordan and I liked to order from and order two pizzas. “Jordan, I remember that you promised a little girl brownies.” I giggled when I got off the phone.

Jordan paused the game and turned to look at me with raised eyebrows. “I did not say such a thing. You told her I was, so I think you should.”

“Parker, do you want to help your uncle Jordan make brownies?” I asked.

“Yeah! Come on Uncle J, it will be fun.”

Jordan groaned but got off the couch none the less. He walked over to me before going to the kitchen. “I hate you.” He whispered, kissing my cheek.

“Love you too, babe.”

While Parker and Jordan made brownies, Tanya and I finished up painting the girls’ nails and then got them into their pajamas. We settled on a movie that was both kid and adult friendly and waited for the pizza to arrive. During that time Jordan and I set up Troy’s travel crib in our room and put him down for the night.

“Let’s hope he sleeps.” I whispered, watching the little guy’s chest rise and fall as he slept.

Jordan set up the baby monitor Taylor packed and stood next to me. “I think he should, we had him up later than your sister and Sidney normally do.”

I nodded in agreement and rested my head on his shoulder. “Have you ever thought about having kids?” I whispered, as a watched Troy sleep.

Jordan was quite for a bit before answering. “Not always, but occasionally I would, yes.“ I could hear the smirk in his tone. “What about you?”

I sighed and turned to face him. “Honestly no, but the past couple of years that has changed. I didn’t use to like kids, but then Taylor had Stephanie and that all changed.” I looked down at my feet. “You also had a lot to do with the change as well.”

“Me? What do you mean?”

“Well I’ve seen you with Parker, Kelsey and Stephanie. You’re a natural when it comes to kids, I’m not. But I want to have kids you with Jordan, I know that you’ll be a great father to balance out me not being such a great mother.”

Jordan placed his finger under my chin, making me look up at him. “You will be an amazing mother, Mandy. I’ve seen you with Eric’s kids and your sister’s, you’re just as much as a natural as I am.” He placed a sweet kiss on my lips. “Just so we’re clear, I want to have kids with you as well.”

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his waist. This was the first talk about our future together, aside from me moving in with him, and neither of us ran away screaming from it. Everything I just said was true, I never wanted kids, until I met Jordan and everything changed. He’s the one I want to grow old with and have just as many babies as Linda did. What shocked me just a little was that Jordan wanted kids too and that shouldn’t have shocked me, I mean look at his family. I smiled to myself and watched Troy sleep some more. Just then there was a light knock on the door and Eric poked his head in.

“Pizza’s here guys.” He said before disappearing into the living room.

Without a word, Jordan and I left the room and left the door open a crack behind us. Tanya had the movie started and all three of the kids at the coffee table with plates of cut up pizza. I smiled at the three of them before helping myself to a couple of slices.

“Anyone want a beer?” I asked, going to the fridge taking one out for Jordan and one for myself.

“Yes please.” Jordan said, mouth already full of pizza.

I rolled my eyes and pulled two more beers out. “Jordan, manners and I already knew you wanted one.” I told him handing him an open drink.

Once we adults got our food together, we joined the kids in the living room and watched The Princess and the Frog . When everyone was full on pizza, Tanya and I handed out brownies much to the children and Eric and Jordan’s delight. When the movie was finished, Eric and Tanya put their kids down for the night.

“Aunt Mandy, can I sleep with Kelsey? I want to have a sleep over with her too.” Stephanie asked as I helped her brush her teeth.

“I don’t have a problem with it, but you need to ask Tanya if it’s okay.” I told her. Seconds later Stephanie came running back to the bathroom telling me that Tanya said that was fine. Once she was settled, we left the door open just a crack and I checked on Troy before joining everyone in the living room.

“So Eric,” I smiled, taking a seat next to Jordan on the couch. “How does it feel to win the Stanley Cup with your little brother?” I asked.

“It felt pretty awesome, I couldn’t be any more proud of Jared then I have been this past season. I’m proud of all my brothers, but Jared did a wonderful job this season. He really helped us.”

I rolled my eyes. “We are all family here, no need to give us the media version.” I smiled. I knew for the guys it was hard to answer some of the questions without the thought of the media behind it. I always tried to remind them that that I wasn’t the media, I wasn’t going to write down everything they said so they could speak their mind to me about how they were feeling about a certain play or something.

Jordan chuckled at his brother’s expense and Eric blushed before answering. “It felt fucking great and I meant what I said about being proud of him and Jordan and Marc. I really am proud.” He looked at Jordan. “You guys played a hell of a game in the Conference Finals, for a while there I wasn’t sure which way it was going to go. You also played a great game and as your brother I want to say I’m sorry you got eliminated so late in the game, but as a hockey player I want to say suck it.”

Jordan laughed and tipped his beer in Eric’s direction. “As your brother I want to say congrats on winning the Cup, as a hockey player, fuck you.” he smiled and we all laughed.

“So is Jared ready for the wedding?” I asked. I knew Megs was.

Eric nodded as he swallowed his beer. “He’s excited, he can’t wait to marry Megs.”

I smiled. “That’s great they are so in love. I can’t wait for the wedding, it’s going to be beautiful.” Tanya nodded in agreement.

“So Jordan, in about two weeks you are going to be the only not married brother. How does that feel?” Eric asked, smiling.

Jordan shrugged and looked down at me. “We’re in no rush, we’re happy. If we never got married, I’d be just as happy as I am now.” He leaned down and kissed me softly. “I love you,” He whispered.

“Love you, too.” I whispered.

I snuggled into his Jordan’s side and listened to the conversation around me. Slowly, Jordan’s heartbeat and even breathing lulled me to sleep. I only woke up when Jordan gently laid me in bed.

“Can you check on Troy?” I whispered, already falling back to sleep.

“Already done, he’s asleep.” He whispered, kissing my forehead. “Good night, Mandy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited