Status: Complete

Accidentally In Love

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I looked up from the shirt I was folding and saw Jordan staring at the pair of boxers in his hands. Suddenly everything bad began running through my head. Keeping my cool, I placed the shirt in the folded pile and looked at my boyfriend.

“What exactly do we need to talk about?” I asked.

Jordan sighed. “The future.”

I just started at him. What did he mean, the future? “What about it?” I asked.

“I don’t know how to tell you this so I’m just going to come right out and say it.” He took a deep breath and I found myself holding my breath. “My contract with the Penguins ended when we lost to the Hurricanes.”

Neither of us said anything for a few minutes, Jordan was staring down at his feet not looking at me and I was trying to process what he just told me. His contract ended over a month ago and I was just now finding out about it. I didn’t want to be mad at him for it, but he should have told me either going into the Conference finals or before. He had plenty of chances.

“So you’re telling me that you don’t know where you’re playing next season?” I asked with a sigh.

“Yeah, I didn’t know how to tell you.”

“How about ‘Mandy, my contract ends after this play-off run’” I said crossing my arms.

“It wasn’t that easy!” Jordan said, exasperated. “Telling you that I have no idea where or if I’m going to be playing next season is one of the hardest things to do.”

“Why? Why was it so hard to tell me that? Because I’m only with you because you play hockey? That I’m going to leave because you don’t have a contract?” I stood up. “I thought you knew me better than that Jordan.” I grabbed the laundry basket and began walking to our room, but stopped and looked back at Jordan. “Apparently I was wrong.” I turned on my heels and walked into our room and shut the door.

I began sorting through our clothes, frustrated. Why was it so hard for him to tell me something like that? He should know that he can talk to me about anything, we did when we were friends, why is this time different? Did he think I wasn’t going to stand by him? With a growl, I threw Jordan’s clothes across the room, not caring that I just spent time folding them. I grabbed my phone and sent a text to Taylor.

I’m so pissed at Jordan right now it’s not even funny.

I flopped into bed and waited for Taylor to respond. I was upset that Jordan was worried about next season. I was worried because as much as Jordan is a great player and loves playing in Pittsburgh there are other guys that Shero and everyone else have to worry about signing. Also there are other, younger guys with great skills coming into the game. Jordan’s a great player, but he’s a veteran. My phone chimed from next to me. I unlocked the touch screen.

What did he do? How are the kids?

I wanted to scream, was there ever a time she didn’t worry about the kids? I just wanted to talk to my sister about why I was pissed at my boyfriend.

They’re fine, Eric and Tanya took the older ones to the park. I’m pissed at him because he just told me about his contract…or lack thereof.

Almost instantly after I sent the text my phone rang.

“He just told you? You didn’t know before?” Taylor asked before I even had a chance to say ’hello’

“No I didn’t, I just found out like five minutes ago. I’m pissed at him for waiting this long to tell me.”

“As you should be, I can’t believe he just now told you though.” I could just hear her shaking her head. “How do you feel about the fact that he doesn’t have a contract right now?”

I sighed. “I’m bummed he doesn’t have one, but I’m-” Just then the door opened and Jordan came into the room. “Tay, I’ll talk to you later.” I said to her, never taking my eyes off of Jordan.

“Okay, do you want us to come get the kids? Give you and Jordan time to talk?”

“Nah, they’re fine. Like I said Steph is with Tanya and Eric and Troy is content playing in his play pen.”

“If you’re sure, I’ll see you later. Bye”

“Bye.”

I hung up and just sat there looking at Jordan. Again neither of us said anything, we just stared at each other. Finally Jordan broke the silence.

“Are you going to talk to me about this?” He paused and I nodded my head. “Then start off by telling me why you stormed off on me?” He asked quietly like he knew he was messing with fire.

I started at him for a bit, willing my anger to die down a little bit so I didn’t rip his head off. Finally I released a breath I didn’t know I was holding. “Because you waited almost a whole month to tell me about your contract. A month! You had all season to tell me. If you didn’t want to tell me during the season, I understand, but you should have at least told me once playoffs started. Not after you’re done for the season! That’s a long time to keep something that big from me.” I stated and turned to look out the window.

“You could have found out sooner.”

I spun around and glared at him. “Well excuse me for not Googling my boyfriend. I didn’t know I needed to.” I snapped.

“Your sister is married to my captain.”

I ran a hand through my hair. “I don’t talk to him about the team and their contracts and I shouldn’t have to because you should tell me. Not the Internet, or the television, or my brother-in-law. You.”

“I told you didn’t I?” He asked, getting defensive.

I nodded. “Yeah, ya did. A month after it ended. Jordan, I thought you could talk to me about everything. Especially things that are going on in your job, that includes contracts ending or being extended. Why is it so hard to tell me about it? It shouldn’t be, I’m the same person I was five years ago when you had no worries telling me everything. Why did this suddenly change?” I asked, my voice shaking.

Jordan walked towards me and took a seat on the bed, grabbing my hand and giving it a squeeze. “I didn’t tell you right away because I was afraid what you would think of me. That you wouldn’t be proud of me or something.” He said quietly.

“Jordan, I will always be proud of you no matter what. You should know you can always talk to me about anything.” I placed a hand on his cheek and rubbed small circles with my thumb. “I will always be proud of you. Always.”

Jordan leaned down and captured my lips in a soft, sweet kiss. “Are you still mad at me?” He asked when we separated, a small smile tugging at hip lips.

“Yes, because you should have told me sooner.”

“I’m sorry for not telling you. Please don’t be mad at me.”

I pulled away from him. “Fine, I’m not mad, but please promise me that you will keep me in the loop about things from now on. Especially when they deal with our future.” I couldn’t be left out of something this big ever again.

“I promise and I really am sorry. I don’t know why I was so afraid, I know I can talk to you.”

In the living room Troy cried, letting us know he was still there. With a smile I went out to him.

“Hey there little man, we didn’t forget about ya. You were just being such a good boy out here.” I said lifting him out of the play pen. “Mommy and daddy miss you.” I told him, causing him to smile.

“Speaking of, are they coming to get them or do we need to take them home?” Jordan asked, taking a seat on the couch.

“Not really sure, I’ll text Taylor in a little bit.” I said, bouncing Troy on my hip.

I watched as Jordan picked up his phone and began texting Sidney. While he did that, I went and changed Troy’s diaper and clothes. I took my time playing with him, loving the way he smiled up at me. When I was finished I joined Jordan in the living room where he had NHL Network on. I rolled my eyes and smiled at him when he looked over at me. Jordan wrapped his arm around my shoulder as he watched the screen. I wasn’t paying attention to what they were talking about, but hearing Jordan’s name caught my attention.

“Let’s talk about Jordan Staal.” Someone said.

Both Jordan and I sat straighter in our seats as they began breaking down Jordan’s season and pass seasons.

“Ray Shero and the Penguins would be crazy not to re-sign him. Especially with teams like Carolina, Washington, Chicago, and apparently Toronto has expressed some interest in the 6’4 center.”

I looked at Jordan who was looking down at me. He didn’t tell me that some really great teams were looking at him. It was a shock to think that we might not be living in Pittsburgh next season, because I was going with Jordan where ever he ended up playing. The two of us continued to sit in silence as they four guys on the television talked about Jordan and other players. I was lost in my own thoughts though, this was real. There was a chance that Jordan wouldn’t be a Penguin anymore. That thought was upsetting because he loved this city, the fans loved him, it was his home. I loved this city as well, more than I thought I ever would. But throughout the years I’ve watched the fans and organization welcome new players with open arms, they welcomed my sister immediately, they even accepted me as Jordan’s best friend and as his girlfriend. This was a great city to live in.

I don’t know how long the two of us sat there watching the television, but soon there was a knock on the door. With Troy in my arms, I went to open the door. When I did Troy let out a screech when he spotted his parents on the other side.

“Hi there, baby boy.” Taylor cooed, reaching for her son.

“Hi, to you too, Taylor.” I laughed. “Hey, Sidney.”

“Don’t mind her, she missed the kids like crazy. You don’t know how many times I had to keep her from calling you guys. I ended up taking her cell phone away from her.” He said and I laughed.

“Did you guys have a nice night?” I asked, shutting the door.

Taylor was too busy playing with Troy so I just looked at Sidney, waiting for an answer. “Yes we did, it was nice not having to worry about how loud we talked or what we said. It was also nice not having a conversation interrupted every five minutes.”

“I’m glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. You two deserve it.”

I looked to the living room and saw that Jordan was still staring at the television. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

“Tay told me he finally told you. How are you taking it?” Sidney asked, catching onto my actions.

I sighed again. “Right now, it almost feels like a dream, but I know it’s not. The thought of Jordan not playing for the Penguins is heart breaking. This is his team, his family. It’s going to be a long summer.”

Sidney wrapped his arm around my shoulder and hugged me into his side, like he does with his own sister. “Just stay positive for him and be there for him. This is usually the most stressful thing for players. Plus, you have us here too.”

I nodded, afraid to speak because I knew my voice would crack with the emotions I was fighting off. We all went into the living room, where Jordan had finally turned the TV off.

“So how were they?” Taylor asked, handing Troy over to Sidney.

“They were great, Stephanie loved having Kelsey here.” I smiled. “Tanya and I painted their nails and then she had a sleep over with them. Troy slept through the night, didn’t wake up until about six this morning, but he fell asleep after we fed him so we were able to get about another hour and half of sleep.”

“He slept through the night?” Taylor asked. I couldn’t tell if she was excited or jealous that we got him to sleep.

“Yep, didn’t make a single noise all night long.” Jordan said.

The three of us continued to talk while we waited for Tanya and Eric to get home with the kids. Since it was close to lunch time and we knew the kids were going to be hungry, we started making lunch. Just as we were finishing up, they got home.

“Daddy!” Stephanie yelled when she spotted Sidney in the living room. “Where’s mommy?”

“She’s in the kitchen with Aunt Mandy. You can go see her, but you have to give me a kiss first.” Sidney answered, causing Taylor and I to chuckle in the kitchen.

“Mommy!” Stephanie said when she rounded the corner and saw her mom standing there. “Look what Miss. Tanya made me.” She said pointing to the crown of flowers on her head, just like Taylor and I would do at her age.

“That’s very pretty, did you have fun playing with Kelsey and Parker?”

Stephanie nodded and that was all she needed to launch into a detailed telling of her night with the Staal kids. I smiled at the two as I finished making the mac and cheese. Tanya came into the kitchen and said hi to Taylor since the two of them haven’t seen each other in a while.

“Tanya, lunch is almost ready.” I told her.

She smiled and went to get her kids cleaned up for lunch and Taylor did the same with Stephanie. As I was draining the noodles, Eric came into the kitchen.

“So he told you?” He asked.

I nodded, but didn’t say anything. I went about getting the macaroni and cheese ready, but Eric continued to stand next to me. When I finished I turned to Eric with a hand on my hip.

“What?” I asked.

“I was just wondering how you’re taking it.” He said.

“At the moment, I’m pissed at him because he waited so long to tell me, but at the same time I’m scared because we don’t know what’s going to happen.” Once again, I ran a hand through my hair. “What if the Penguins don’t offer him another contract?” I asked, quietly.

“Then he plays for a team that has offered him a contract. If the Pens don’t offer him a contract, they’re stupid, but that means that you’re going to have to be there for him because this is his home, the only place he knows. This is going to be a big deal for not just him, but both of you because this is your future too.”

“I know. I just don’t want this to effect the summer, but I know it’s going to.”

Eric hugged me. “Don’t worry about it, we all will be there when something happens.”

“Thanks Eric.”

“Don’t mention it.”

With that, Eric left me alone in the kitchen. I felt a little better talking to someone who wasn’t directly affected by this off season. Sure if affected Jordan’s family and even mine, but it wasn’t their future that was unknown. It was Jordan’s and there for mine. I finished lunch and placed it on the table where the kids were patiently waiting. After lunch we all sat in the living room and talked about everything except the contract, which we were thankful for. We talked about our summers and how we were spending it. Sidney and Taylor were taking Troy to Cole Harbour for the first time and both of them were excited. Stephanie was excited to see her grandparents since she hasn’t seen them in a while. Jordan, Eric, Tanya, and I couldn’t wait to head up to Thunder Bay, not only for Jared’s wedding, but we all missed it. You would have thought Taylor and I were Canadian not American by the way we missed our guys‘ home country.

Later that evening, Taylor and Sidney took a sleepy Stephanie and a content Troy home for the night, leaving me alone with the Staals. We just sat around and decided to stay in for the night. So Tanya and I along with the help of Parker and Kelsey, made lasagna for dinner. Throughout the preparation of dinner there was lots of laughter and smiles, Eric came in to take pictures and quickly sent them to his mother.

After dinner was made and in the oven, I went to my room and began getting my things together for our trip to Thunder Bay at the end of the week. While I was deciding what tops to take, there was a knock at the door. I looked up and saw Tanya standing the there with a smile on her face.

“Need some company?” She asked, coming into the room.

“Sure.” I smiled. “What shirt would you take with you?”

“Both” she said without missing a beat, causing both of us to laugh. Tanya continued to help me sort through my clothes and I began packing. While we were sitting on the floor, sorting through my shorts and bathing suits, Parker came in and sat next to me.

“What’s up, Parker?” I asked, wrapping my arm around his shoulder.

“Nothing much, I just got bored watching Dad and Uncle Jordan play Call of Duty.” He said with a shrug.

“What’s your sister doing?” Tanya asked her son

“Coloring”

She nodded and went back to sorting through the pile of clothes in front of her. Parker moved to the bed and continued to talk to us as the two of us packed.

“Mandy, are you excited for Uncle Jared’s wedding?”

I smiled at the blond boy. “I am, I’m happy for your uncle and Megs. What about you? Do you like Megs?”

He was quite for a minute before answering. “I haven’t gotten the chances to meet her a lot. She’s nice though and I like her when I do get to see her. If Uncle Jared is happy with her then I like her.” He smiled.

Tanya smiled a “You are so much like your father. That was a very mature answer, Park.” She kissed the top of his head. “I know you haven’t gotten the chance to talk to her at the much, but Meg is excited to be your aunt.” She told him.

“You know what I’m excited about?” he asked practically bouncing on the bed. Neither Tanya nor I answered him, we just him continue talking. “I can’t wait for Mandy to my aunt.”

I smiled at the younger Staal and gave him a hug. “Well I’m glad to hear that. I can’t wait for you to be my nephew.”

“When’s that going to happen?”

I shook my head. “Not sure, buddy. Your uncle and I are in no rush to get married.”

“But you’ve been friends for forever! You know everything there is to know about each other.”

“You’re right, but we’ve only been dating for almost a year. It’s still a little early to think about getting married.”

“Parker, don’t push it.” Tanya warned.

“Fine.” He sighed and slipped off the bed walking back into the living room.

I chuckled and laid back on the bed, I wish everything was really as easy as Parker made it sound. He was right though, Jordan and I have been friends forever and we really did know everything about each other, so naturally marriage seemed like the next step. Were we ready for that step? Not now we weren’t, not with this contract issue looming over us. Sure I wanted to get married, but soon? I wasn’t so sure and I had no idea how Jordan felt about all this.

I let out a sigh and sat up. Tanya was still standing in her spot and looking at me with a small smile on her face.

“He actually got you thinking didn’t he?” She mused.

I bit my lip and nodded. “How the hell is your son so damn smart?” I chuckled.

“I’d like to say he got it from me, but that’s all Eric.” She took a seat next to me. “Man, what has you worried. I can see it.”

I sighed. “I’m not really sure, I mean I love Jordan so much, he’s my best friend, but I don’t think I’m ready for marriage talk and I don’t think he is either. We…well I’m still young, I’m not like my sister and thought about all of this since I was a little girl.”

“Mandy, relax it’s not like Jordan asked you to marry him. I was just asking. Don’t stress about it, you and Jordan will be married soon enough. Jordan won’t be the last single Staal for long.”

“He’s not single.” I told her.

“Oh shush, you know what I mean.”

From the kitchen the time dinged and I got off the bed and went into the kitchen before any of the boys could yell for me. Dinner was quite, well as quite as it can be with two young children at the table. Kelsey was quite after dinner though, she missed her new friend Stephanie.

“Kels, I promise, next time you and your mom and dad come to visit Stephanie can sleep over again.”

Her eyes lit up and she smiled. “Really? You think her mom and dad will let her?” She asked.

“Of course and you know what?” I grabbed a piece of paper from the notepad sitting next to me. “I’ll give your mom her address and that way the two of you can write to each other.”

“Like PenPals? Like Parker has in class?” She asked.

I nodded. “Yep, just like that. I know she’d love to get mail from you.”

Kelsey cheered and wrapped her arms around my neck. “Thank you Mandy.”

Eric and Tanya put the kids to bed early because they were leaving in the morning, I had to reassure Kelsey that I was going to be in Thunder Bay and I promised to take her shopping, a girls’ day. She was very excited about that. Parker demanded that we have a day together too, so of course I had to promise him a day as well. A little after the kids went to bed, Eric and Tanya did the same leaving Jordan and I in the living room.

We curled up on the couch together and put a movie in, but we didn’t watch it. We ended up talking about our trip and even talked about the contract a little bit more. He finally told me himself what teams were talking contracts with him. I had to admit there were some really great teams expressing interest in him, but they weren’t Pittsburgh.

I sat up and turned to face Jordan, he looked at me confused. “I don’t think I need to say this, but I am going to anyway.” I took his hand in mine. “No matter what happens this off season, I’m with you. If you don’t sign with Pittsburgh again and sign with Chicago or something, I’m with you. All the way.”

Jordan looked even more confused than he did a second ago. “What are you saying, Mandy?”

I rolled my eyes, but smiled. “I’m trying to tell you that I’m going with you no matter what happens. I know we’ve only been together for a little more than a year, but you’re my best friend and I couldn’t live without you. If that makes me sound like a sappy and needy girlfriend then so be it, but it’s the truth. If you go, I go.”

“Man, I can’t ask you to pick up the life you started here in Pittsburgh and move to another city. I just can’t.”

I leaned forward and kissed him. “You aren’t, I’m making this decision on my own. I want to be with you Jordan, I love you.”

“I love you, too, but what about your sister? School? Your friends on the team? Can you just leave them?”

I squeezed his hand. I was the one to worry about these things, not him. “Relax, we’ll cross those bridges when we get to them. If we get to them. Just keep an open mind and everything will be fine.”

I laid my head back on his shoulder and smiled to myself when I felt him place a soft kiss to the top of my head. We were in this together. I was telling him the truth, I couldn’t imagine living in Pittsburgh without him, I knew Taylor would do the same thing with Sidney. It was the occupational hazard of being a girlfriend or wife of a professional hockey player.

Jordan turned off the movie and pulled me off the couch with him and dragged me to our bedroom. We laid down and he instantly wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into his chest.

“I love you Mandy.” he said, kissing the back of my neck.

“Love you too, Jordy.” He squeezed me tighter at the sound of his nickname, I didn’t call him that often but it made his day when I did.

Jordan quickly fell asleep and I was tired, but my brain just would shut down. What if Pittsburgh didn’t sign him again? Who would he sign with? I took a deep breath, no matter what happens I’m going with him. I told myself as I began worrying about everything. I rolled over and came face to face with a sleeping Jordan and all my worries flew out the window. No matter what happened we were in this together. I snuggled into his chest and inhaled his comforting scent, becoming sleepy. I closed my eyes and soon fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited