Ebsylyn-Jane Hart

Moving and before school.

Beginnings
I wrote in to the web browser “CONNECTICUT FACTS”
I thought since I’m being forced to move. I might as well do some research as I had finished my packing said goodbye to Genie and Tom (my super hot boyfriend) I was going to phone them the minute I arrive at JFK airport.
Did you know it takes 2 hrs and 45 minutes on average to drive from JFK to Hamden Connecticut never mind the hour extra dad took to find our new house on Fairy Glen Dr just off Route 22.
Our fight took about 7 hrs yet Connecticut is 8 hrs behind England so it was more like -1 hrs. Weird!
so we got “Home” at 3 am (in CT time) dad had been living here for four months on and off before we came so each room had a bed, drawers and curtains (everything else was brought here two months ago.)
Mum and Dad had already chosen the “granny” annex for their room and study. So we had the second floor in which there are 5 large rooms. As normal youngest chooses first. I chose the front bedroom with the big bay window it was great as it gets lots of sun and my stained glass diamond dream catcher from Genie, lets multi coloured light speckle my room glamorously.
I hung half the posters of bands and movie stars up which I took (for granted all that 2 months ago when I packed them as it turned out I had out grown of a few bands.) from my labelled boxes on the landing.
The boys and my parents didn’t have my enthusiasm to unpack. The boys chose a room by flipping a coin then flopped on the beds like my parents.
At 7 am (in CT) once I’d had a coffee. I found the box with my paint. Should paint it in jaded green and pink like from my old room? I decided no.
I had now changed my mind on colour so stole James’ deep blue and added it to two full cans of white emulsion spoon by spoon mixing ferociously in between till I got a light denim blue in one can and a medium twilight blue in the other. I then painted two opposing walls in each. Although this meant moving the bed, taking down posters and masking the whites with tape.
I didn’t care this was my blank canvas my new beginning and there was one thing I had left to do on Saturday 6 pm (ct time) as it would be 1 pm Sunday in England this was to phone Genie and Tom.
By 1 pm exhaustedly I went for a shower grabbed my pyjamas from my night bag and fell asleep with my blankets encased around me on my bed in the middle of my painted room. I forgot all about my phone call.
It was 7 pm Saturday (CT) when I woke to a loud “whoa” from James, rob, mum and dad.
We ordered pizza and then started on the boys rooms as they are 19 and not knowing the first thing about painting. We finished both by 12 am (CT) the next day. Pretty easy when it’s two in each room at a time while we took it in turns making food and resting.
When we were finished, it turned out James didn’t want blue he wanted the orange - he had secretly packed and Rob used up my jade with his moss green. We then ate and mum decided we would all sleep till 9 am and try to get in to a pattern with school starting in two weeks. It was too late to phone now.
We all woke up at 9 am had a shower, got dressed then at 11 am got a map of the area and decided how to spend our first two weeks and dads two week holiday given to him to “help us acclimatise” as his new boss said “and learn to love the place he (the boss) loved as much as he did.”
We went to the mall the boys and dad went to the multiplex cinema. Mum and I went to the clothes shop I got a new purple top and a cute skirt for the beginning of my senior year I’d just finished my GCSEs and now had to do another year of school. .
I thought my school life was over I was going to go to the local collage but you have to be 18 and id just turn 17 a week after I got my GCSE results.
We got home and looked round the garden it had a large water fountain and pond the previous owners had taken all their carp (an expensive fish) with them.
Dad replied that if I wanted I could get a turtle or fish. I rolled my eyes did he think I was five?
The two weeks passed in a flash. It was now the night before school started. I had a long bath and text Genie to say: “sorry that I wasn’t able to call her.”
She texted back that her collage had an extra day off so I could phone her now if I wanted, so I did. 
We talked about everything and anything: which boy was “out” and which girl was the slaggiest Ebony or fish face Fillis. Then I asked about Tom and she instead of replying straight away paused, then said very briefly ‘that he was, they were, dating! And that Tom asked for me not to phone him.’
“Genie you’re much slaggier than Fillis.” I screamed as I threw the phone down and ran to my room in tears. After about 3 minutes James came in and asked “what’s wrong EJ”
I sobbed “I’m not EJ, I'm Ebsy! Tom and Genie are dating James that's what's wrong.” I felt like someone had stabbed me in the heart and black venom was coursing through my body draining my happiness.
“Ebsy. Tom had been flirting with Genie every day before we moved. Just be happy for them.” I had not realised this and got even angrier.
“Happy. For. Them! I Don’t Think so!” I screamed. James left the room. I locked the door got every picture of them off my new cork board I bought yesterday and cut them up. I then exhaustedly fell asleep on my window seat.