Status: My first one shot...

Emma Was Her Own Rainbow

She Was A Rainbow; He Needed That

“You say I love you boy, I know you lie. I trust you all the same, I don’t know why. Cause when my back is turned, my bruises shine, our broken fairy-tale, so hard to hide. I still believe it’s you and me to the end of time, when we collide we come together if we don’t we’ll always be apart…”

Noah Watts sang along quietly, tapping the pen in his right hand on the counter in beat with the song. He was looking over the stock sheet, he hated it but it had to be done. His only employee, Henry was somewhere restocking the shelves with the latest CD’s. Noah’s store was split into two, buying music, and buying instruments. He also supplied lessons. Noah’s store was popular with the late-teen’s, and Noah found it strange how he too was one of them not so long ago, he was now at the ripe age of twenty two. It was only two years ago when his grandfather, who he had been always very close with due to his absent father, has passed away from battling with lung cancer for six years. Noah’s grandfather will stated that Noah would receive, let’s just say a large amount of money, and it set Noah for a long time, hence the opening of his shop.
“Henry, how many picks did you take?” Noah called, as he looked over the column again, the numbers were getting cloudy in his head.
“Five.” Henry replied sheepishly, and Noah rolled his eyes. Henry was twenty six years old, and addicted to The Rolling Stones, he found today’s music repulsive and was always stubborn in his ways. He also smoked about twenty cigarettes a day and couldn’t make his mind up whether Star Trek is better than Star Wars.
“Next time, don’t.” Noah said pointlessly, but he still said it, just to make him feel like he did have authority. After finally giving up with the confusing numbers, Noah sighed and looked out the window, the busy streets of New York were passing by, it was incredible really. Cars whizzed by constantly, people walking by without a care. It was then, two people walked in, two females chatting loudly about one of the female’s boyfriend. Noah immediately zoned out.

He was staring into space, when he saw her. That girl, that fashion-disaster, walking rainbow of a girl. Her Tango-related hair was shining bright, and Noah noticed she was coming nearer the store, in fact, she was coming in. Noah took a shaky breath, as he watched her. She was wearing purple tights this time, bright purple tights, and long black denim shirt over the stop of her small frame, it would have looked normal if it wasn’t for the bright yellow belt that was tight around her seemingly thin waist, and the fact he shoes were pink, pale pink to be precise. It’s like she didn’t look in the mirror that morning, her hair was natural, not straight, not curly, but she had clipped back the side in what seems butterfly clips, clips Noah hadn’t seen on a girl since he was in middle-school. He could see about thirty or so jelly bracelets, all different colours on both of her wrists. As Noah watched, not very discreetly, he now took in her facial appearance. She wore black kohl eyeliner, not took thick but it was noticeable, and a faint purple tint on her eyelids. Her eyes were blue, a dark sapphire type blue. Mascara could be seen too, curling up her eyelashes. Her lips, well they were pale pink too, but she wasn’t wearing lip-stick or anything. It was just natural. She had her ears pierced, clear by the large hoops she was wearing, and when she turned, Noah saw her tragus piercing too. Her cheek-bone structure was elegant, in fact when he noticed her smile to herself as she picked up a random CD, her whole face lit up. She had a beautiful smile each tooth was straight and white. It wasn’t till in the dim light of the store’s cheap lights, Noah saw the tint of glitter on her cheeks, again reminding him of middle-school.

He just couldn’t put his finger on her, as she waltzed around the shop, each step with a spring. His heart felt jumpy, his palms were sweating slightly. He immediately turned on the fan nearby. Noah heard the hushed whispers and giggles of the girls that came in previously, staring at the girl with spitefulness. The girl didn’t even notice, and continued to look around.

The two girls previously finally paid for their purchases, leaving just the girl. Noah felt like he was seventeen again, and that the girl he asked to prom, Sara Bridget, now worked somewhere in Chicago, was going to decline him…again. He never liked Sara anyways. Wait, that’s a lie. In fact he did like Sara, and her generous chest.
“Dude, it’s two o’clock, can I go?” Henry asked lazily, and Noah sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose to keep calm.
“Yes.” He says through gritted teeth, as he quickly figured out that Henry was leaving whether or not he asked. He began to question why he hired him.
Within seconds Henry left, and it was like an elimination game, as Noah felt the girl look at him, he immediately grabbed her attention, staring at one another as if they’d never seen another species.
“How much you charge?” she asked simply, her voice was soft and a faint accent could be heard, it sounded like she was from around here, New York that is. Noah was completely thrown as if he just asked her what the name of all stars were.
“Excuse me?” he blinked, and she gave a smile, a sweet, heart-breaking smile.
“You’re lessons for piano, how much?” she asked again, and he immediately realised, and began to feel like an idiot.

“Um, 40 bucks an hour…” he murmured nervously, he didn’t understand why but he did know his heart jumped again as she made her way to the counter. She really did clash together.
“Cool. Can I sign up?” she asked eagerly.
He nodded, and quickly got the signup sheet. “What’s your name?” he asked, clicking his pen to reveal the nib.
“Dalton, Emma.” She said, and Noah figured she would be the only person to introduce herself backwards.
“Emma?” he questioned, it was such an ordinary name, and for such an extraordinary girl, it just didn’t quite match, then again that seemed to be a recurring pattern here.
“Yup. Emma. What’s yours?” Emma asked, rocking on her heels.
“Noah.” He coughed slightly, and Emma grinned.
“Cool. So can we start now?” Emma asked eagerly, and Noah shifted nervously.
“Um, I don’t know…” he said, looking around his empty shop. Useless.
“You’re not exactly busy are you?” she teased, and Noah felt his cheeks warm up slightly.
“I guess we could start now?” Noah said, and Emma grinned.
“Great!” she piped in, and Noah then led her to where the lessons took place, a private corner way at the back. He offered her a seat, but instead Emma took a seat on the floor.
Noah laughed nervously. “So, what instrument are you interested in learning?” he asked, rubbing the back of his neck.
“The guitar.” She replied back confidently. Noah nodded, and picked up his old faithful, Jazzy, a J-45 Standard acoustic guitar.
“Well, we should start with the chords…” Noah began, about to go into the whole detail of the chords, when Emma butted in.
“Can I have a go?” she asked, and Noah looked at her, confused and slightly worried.
“But-“
“Please?” she asked, and her bottom lip jutted out, ever so slightly. Noah sighed and handed the guitar over. Emma grinned and got into position, and then suddenly started to play, stunning Noah.
“You’ve played before?” he asked in disbelief.
“I’ve never played here.” She replied as if it was that simple. Noah cleared his throat.
“I thought you wanted lessons?” Noah asked, he sat forward, leaning on his knees.
“I lied.” Emma said simply, and continued to play flawlessly. Noah scoffed slightly, and got up annoyed. He paced slightly.
“Look Emma, I don’t appreciate being messed about-“ Noah snapped slightly. Emma, shockingly, began to giggle.
“Noah, take a chill bean okay? A little white lie, you never asked me why I lied…” Emma said softly, and put the guitar back on its stand and stood up.
“Fine.” Noah sighed. “Why did you lie?” he asked, biting his tongue, enjoying the sick pain somehow. He could feel the ulcer coming.
“This place is nicer where I usually play. “ she replied, and Noah stood there, stunned at her reply.
“Where do you usually play?” he asked, curiously. Emma smiled.
“My room.” Emma replied back. She shrugged.
“Emma-“
“Sorry I lied.” Emma whispered, like it was a secret.
“It’s fine, look I won’t charge you…just, I think you should leave now.” Noah said, feeling stressed enough already. Emma smiled slightly.
“You know something Noah?” Emma murmured. Noah looked at her pointedly. “What’s that?” he felt the need to ask.
“You’re cute.” Emma said confidently, and then walked away, out the shop and for some reason. Noah regretted his decision.
--
Months went by before Emma reappeared, this time, she had purple hair, and it was shorter. She was dressed in a multi-coloured shirt, and blue striped high-waist trousers, and the shirt tucked in messily, and brown belt around her hips, almost falling down. She wore big biker shoes, and she seemed to have gained a tattoo on her right wrist.
Noah’s hair was shorter too, and he was buffer looking as he had been to the gym more. He couldn’t believe it though, when Emma walked in.
“Hey Noah, guess what?” Emma said immediately, smiling like the world was the most amazing place ever.
“Um…” Noah said confused, as to what to say or do.
“I’m 21 today!” Emma cheered, and clapped her hands together, excitedly. Noah nodded, unsure what to say.
“Happy birthday” he murmured, and looked around the shop, people were staring at her again. He didn’t like it.
“Will you come celebrate with me?” she asked hopefully, her eyes twinkling like a child.
“I’m sorry…Emma.-“ he had remembered her, in fact, he never forgot her.
“We don’t know each other, and I’m busy working…” Emma blew a raspberry on her hand.
“Emma-“ he began again but she did it again, giggling like a two year old.

“Emma stop it…” Noah warned, as his customers frown at the intrusion. Emma blew another raspberry, a loud one this time, and this whole shop fell silent.
“I’ll keep doing this till you agree to come outside, and come celebrate my birthday with me!” she shouts happily, and was about to blow another raspberry.
“I’ll just call security.” Noah lied, and Emma scoffed.
“Yeah right, and I’m a unicorn! Oh my god, wouldn’t it be cool if I was?” Emma shrieked, and clapped her hands together quickly, and jumped up and down. Her purple hair falling up and down.
“Emma, be quiet…stop-“
“Come with me then!” she cheered, and continued to jump up and down, and began to blow raspberries repeatedly.
“Emma!” Noah warned.
“It’s my birthday!” she whined, and then a voice from the back shouted.
“Dude, get out of the shop!” Henry’s voice echoed, and the customers murmured in agreement, anything to stop his customers, his only customers from leaving, Noah grabbed his jacket, and wallet, and dragged a jumping Emma out the shop.
“Who do you think you are?” Noah hissed, angrily as Emma stopped jumping.

“I’m Emma Dalton, I’m 21 today. I play guitar, I’m a Capicorn, I hate red peppers, I love banana’s….my brother is thirty, he’s old. I have a niece who loves unicorns, I want to be one. I got a tattoo! See-“ Emma rambled, and showed the tattoo. Noah was about to rant, when he froze. The tattoo, was of Noah’s Ark.

“What the-?” he stopped.

“Like it, it’s inspired by you!” Emma shrilled, and Noah sighed, rubbing his face anxiously.

Was this girl on drugs? Was she in need of mental hospitalization?

“Are you high?” Noah asked confused. He couldn’t deal with this…

“On life!” Emma laughed, and spun around fast, almost bumping into people, who frowned at her.

“Oh my god, who are you?” Noah groaned, as one hand ran down his face, he was so confused, and freaked…
“I told you I’m Emma-” she began, and Emma covered her mouth. “Stop okay….just stop.” He muttered, annoyed.
“I mean, who are you Emma? You walk in there and just expect me to drop everything for some crazy chick that is disturbing my customers! I don’t even know you! Are you out of your goddamn mind?” Noah’s voice rose to a shout, and people stared.

Emma’s jumping had stopped altogether, and her smile vanished. Her eyes looked sad, and even hurt, like she’d been shot. They glazed over, and Noah’s heart jolted at he realised, she was about to cry.
“I’m not crazy. I’m perfectly sane.” Emma mumbles, and a tear fell. Noah immediately felt like he murdered someone. Emma backed away.
“Sorry.” She whispered, and began to walk away. Noah felt terrible, literally awful. He knew he couldn’t just let her walk away, most likely to never be seen again.
“Emma, wait…” he called, jogging after the quick paced girl. Emma didn’t look or stop, and continued to walk.

“I’m sorry about what I said, that was harsh. It’s just, this is insane, not you. Just this whole thing, I mean…what am I meant to do?” Noah asked, he felt scared. He never felt scared.
Emma stopped. “You’re meant to stop thinking so much. Just trust me.” She said seriously, and Noah found it hard to believe, but he did. He did trust her.
He thought about it. He thought carefully, he had two options. To go back to the store, and never know what today would have been. Or do as she said, and go celebrate her birthday.
It was an easy decision.
“Where we going then?” he asked tiredly, and Emma’s grin grew.
“Milkshakes.” She said simply, and Noah felt his right hand be grabbed, and connected with hers, as she dragged him to the unknown.
It was ten minute walk, all with Emma about her birthday about how excited she was and what she had got. She had got a new guitar actually. She named it too, and decorated it, it’s called Rainbow.

Noah was in awe somewhat, as well as nervous. He couldn’t figure her out, she was talking a mile a minute, and about topics Noah didn’t know, but he did know one thing, he enjoyed listening to her. When they arrived at what looked like a diner, Emma ordered milkshakes, peanut butter milkshakes. When they drank them, Emma looked so thrilled, and smiled at Noah, showing off her milkshake moustache. Noah laughed, wiped her lips as Emma giggled.

“Now, we go to the park!” she announced, and Noah paid for the drinks, while Emma ran out. Within fifteen minutes, they reached the park and Emma ran for the swings.
“Isn’t this fun!” Emma called, as she swung higher and higher. Noah watched, somewhat fondly as the young girl giggled. Her purple hair waved in the wind.
“Why is your hair purple?” Noah asked, the question which had been bugging him for a long time. Emma laughed hysterically, as she jumped off.
“Why not have purple hair? Why not have green hair? Why not yellow? Why not red? Why not any colour? Colours are cool!” Emma shrilled and Noah watched, amazed.
“You’re free aren’t you?” he commented, and Emma smiled widely.
“Yup, free as a rainbow!” she screamed into the air, and people stared. She didn’t care.
“As a rainbow?” Noah laughed. Emma smiled wider.
“A rainbow is free, does what it likes and gets to be every colour! It gets to get wherever it wants and it’s when rain and sun mix. How cool is that? Rainbows are free!” Emma announced, and danced around. The sun shined softly, and Noah smiled, his heart beating fast.
It was just then, on Emma’s birthday, while she danced around without one care in the world of what anyone thought of her, that it began to rain, not a lot, just enough, for a rainbow to appear.
It was like magic, but Noah would normally disbelieve it, but it was the fact that he then kissed Emma Dalton, rainbow girl, under the rainbow, and he himself…felt the magic of Emma, odd, weird, colour clashed girl that walked in one day, simply by choice.
---
“Emma, we’ll be late!” Noah commented, to his girlfriend as he looked anxiously at his watch. They were meant to be at his parent’s house twenty minutes ago, his sister and his new-born nephew was waiting too.
“I’m coming! Keep your socks on!” Emma called back, and Noah smiled to himself. His girlfriend, was definitely an odd one.
Noah stared, as Emma made her down the stairs of their newly bought house. It was on impulse obviously. Emma had bright blue hair, like real blue and it matched her eyes. It was in a mess of what it seemed couldn’t make up its mind to be straight or curly. Her makeup was done, with her usual eyeliner and mascara, no lipstick lips, but the tint of matching eye shadow, it was orange, as she was wearing a bright orange polka-dot summer dress, and underneath wearing her aqua-blue tights that she adored, along with white shoes.

“You look beautiful, Em.” He said, to the bottom of his heart, honest. She smiled, and he grinned.
“You look good Noah Ark.” She teased, the nickname she adopted to him a long time ago. She jumped off the last step, and skipped up to him, she was smaller then him. He liked that, as he pecked her lips.
“I love you, you know that?” he said, as he laced his arms around her waist, pulling her close.
“I love you too like billions!” she giggled, and kissed him again. Noah smirked.
“Let’s go rainbow.” He said, and Emma skipped out, and Noah locked the door behind him, and they got in their little, beat-up yellow Volkswagen beetle, Emma’s choice obviously and drove to Noah’s old house, singing along to the song ‘Yellow Submarine.’

She didn’t match, but she never did and that’s what Noah loved about her. He loved her ever-changing hair, her odd sense of style, and the way that whenever it rains, she runs and jumps outside. He loves the way that whenever he kisses her, he gets a jolt of electricity down his spine, and how whenever they hold hands, she holds tightly, with oddly painted finger nails. He loved how she sprung in his life, and never left. He loved how she had such off quirks, how she hates anything boring looking and refuses to wear normal clothing. He loved her for absolutely everything he could think of. He loved her, for her, for her oddness, her strange ways, and her rainbow-styled life. He couldn’t remember life without her. He couldn’t forget life with her either.
She was Emma Dalton; his always and forever, own personal rainbow.
♠ ♠ ♠
It doesn't make sense, nor does it mean anything.
I just wrote it and this was the result, comments would be nice :)